Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 07:59 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a beneficiary for my estate, not having human ones to whom I wish to leave my money. That would be a reliable, reputable, responsible rescue or welfare society. I have a soft spot for senior-to-senior programs and hospices.

And...GO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 05:04 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'd probably start by looking into local ones. You can observe their mission and operations more personally. If you find them worthy, ask how your bequest might support them best.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd probably start by looking into local ones. You can observe their mission and operations more personally. If you find them worthy, ask how your bequest might support them best.
Naturally I thought of that...

But it could be a lot of money, I'm not too impressed with my local shelters, and I prefer to leave it to a national organization.

But thanks!

Old 02-18-2024, 05:21 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

But it could be a lot of money, I'm not too impressed with my local shelters, and I prefer to leave it to a national organization.

But thanks!
It's possible they receive support from some larger organization. The mission of that larger organization might or might not suit you better. They may be better at leveraging your bequest.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:46 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,964 times
First to mind? ME ME ME! But shucks, that doesn't really answer your question, eh? Ok, so seriously, I thought for a bit, and

1st to mind: Heifer International. A real effort making a real difference, but to a small number of people.

However, while looking up Buffalo Bikes, part of World Bicycle Relief (another real effort, making a real difference, and still to a small number of people), I ran across

Charity Navigator. and CharityWatch which has a nice dog logo. They should be able to help you assess your options.

For the last couple of years, I've had a dream. I'm making baby steps towards making it happen, but my basic idea is to do the reverse of what Coppinger did. Ray Coppinger brought LGD to North America - to work. He succeeded - wildly. LGD have become so popular here they are now suffering from the same dilemma that afflicts other working dogs in our urban culture - a demand that they be companion dogs, in preference to working dogs. When you try to get companion dogs - you lose working character.

One of the big reasons, when it comes to farm dogs, for the loss of working character, is the loss of farms. So my idea was to go back to the parts of Europe where small farms and rural living are still prevalent. Namely, all those countries that used to be behind the Iron Curtain. Take small farm working dogs there, like Coppinger brought LGD over here - to work. Maybe I'll make that happen, maybe I won't. Still in research stages. If your offer is still open in a couple of years, I'll check back with you.

Mod cut: politics

That's my $.02.

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-28-2024 at 01:24 PM..

Old 02-19-2024, 09:52 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Locally where you can see what the money is being used for. I don't have any trust in the national level organizations, as I am not actually seeing them do any good for the animals and collecting a lot of money that doesn't seem to be going where I would want it to go.

If it is a lot of money, then perhaps the AKC Canine Health Foundation where they pay for research into dog diseases, and the information gained can also be transferred to other species and to humans to benefit humans. That way your donation would benefit pets worldwide. I know that current research is being done on bone cancer, tick bourn disease, and epilepsy

Locally, what do you disapprove of? Perhaps you could donate the money into a spay/ neuter fund to provide free or low cost spay/ neuter for lower income e people. That would greatly benefit the dogs and cats in your immediate area, by cutting down on the number of unwanted animals.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:06 AM

A local lady left her estate to our local shelter. Years later, no one seems to know what became of it. They just have a long history of mismanagement.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:24 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:

But thanks!
Oh, great!
National organization for the animals you say?
Like the one in the link?

2% of your money may go to the actual animal shelters: the rest for high salaries of the management; some even end up off-shore

It could explain why your local shelter looks so poorly to you…

https://nypost.com/2023/04/28/aspca-...ns-think-tank/

Old 02-19-2024, 02:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a beneficiary for my estate, not having human ones to whom I wish to leave my money. That would be a reliable, reputable, responsible rescue or welfare society. I have a soft spot for senior-to-senior programs and hospices.

And...GO!
Harley's House of Dreams, which operates under the umbrella of Harley's Dream. You can read more about them here:

https://harleysdream.org/harleys-house-of-dreams/

Quote:
When Harley passed away in March of 2016 it was our dream to not only work to end puppy mills, but to also continue helping senior dogs. With our puppy mill awareness programs (awareness, education and advocacy) firmly in place, we then launched our 4th program, “Harley’s House of Dreams.”

Senior dogs in need have always tugged at our hearts and the “Harley’s House of Dreams” program enables Harley’s Dream to rescue and provide the necessary medical care for these precious little old dogs – and eventually find them forever homes. Most were scheduled to be euthanized until we rescued them. You can see follow their journeys by joining our Facebook group, Harley’s House of Dreams.

This organization has never raised so much as a sliver of doubt as to their integrity and purpose. Your money will not be wasted or used for frivolities.

Several years ago, one of the local shelters here was gifted several million from a local citizen. Several months later, board members and employees were all driving around in new vehicles while claiming that the shelter's coffers were so bare they were at risk of closing.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-19-2024 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-19-2024, 03:25 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Locally where you can see what the money is being used for. I don't have any trust in the national level organizations, as I am not actually seeing them do any good for the animals and collecting a lot of money that doesn't seem to be going where I would want it to go.

If it is a lot of money, then perhaps the AKC Canine Health Foundation where they pay for research into dog diseases, and the information gained can also be transferred to other species and to humans to benefit humans. That way your donation would benefit pets worldwide. I know that current research is being done on bone cancer, tick bourn disease, and epilepsy

Locally, what do you disapprove of? Perhaps you could donate the money into a spay/ neuter fund to provide free or low cost spay/ neuter for lower income e people. That would greatly benefit the dogs and cats in your immediate area, by cutting down on the number of unwanted animals.

I love this! It could be done in collaboration with vets who already work with Rescues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets