Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 11:25 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

A rep from ASPCA recently talked me into becoming a monthly supporter for $25. Main selling point was they fund a lot of smaller animal organizations most don't know about.

EDITED LATER: Just read the link to NY Post article about only 2% of ASPCA money going to shelters so I will now cancel my support.

Warren Eckstein knows the reputable smaller shelters. I've been to one of his local events and he has a national radio call in show. He's been on TV for ages, too. You will probably recognize him. Why don't you ask for his advice?

https://thepetshow.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 11:41 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
This is so important. Fostering is the gateway for so many animals to adjust to being loved and welcoming that love. Fostering can turn a once labeled “unadoptable” dog into one that is ready for their new home. Most Rescues I worked with provided the food and vet costs for anyone willing to foster but some of us declined the financial help so those dollars could go back into the program for fosters who needed it.
I would love to fund a "furever" foster program where the animals stay in the same home for the duration of their lives. I've seen regular fosters cruelly returned to the shelter when it's no longer convenient or for one reason or another and even weekend or overnight programs where you "check out" an animal like rental equipment or a library book and can only imagine their mental pain and confusion, already having abandonment issues, when they're returned after believing they've been released and adopted. I've also seen foster pets go to less than desirable adoptive homes with the foster parent having no say in the matter. The "furever" foster model, however, is wonderful, along with "pawspice."

Old 03-05-2024, 09:47 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
When I cancelled my ASPCA monthly contribution, I spoke to a human. When she asked me why I was cancelling, I told her about the NY Post story which said they only gave 2% to animal shelters. She told me their IRS tax filings (or something) are available to the public and they actually give 70%. I suggested someone at the ASPCA demand the Post write a retraction.

Old 03-06-2024, 05:00 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
A rep from ASPCA recently talked me into becoming a monthly supporter for $25. Main selling point was they fund a lot of smaller animal organizations most don't know about.

EDITED LATER: Just read the link to NY Post article about only 2% of ASPCA money going to shelters so I will now cancel my support.

Warren Eckstein knows the reputable smaller shelters. I've been to one of his local events and he has a national radio call in show. He's been on TV for ages, too. You will probably recognize him. Why don't you ask for his advice?

https://thepetshow.com/
Have you adopted any pets from foster? We have, and so we send $10. a month to this small, local organization that finds homes for small older dogs. If you have a local PetSmart that holds pet adoption events, go talk to them and see which organizations you want to support. There are other ways of doing it too, such as sending them regular shipments of food and supplies.

I can tell you that the one we have fostered for here is called One Love Animal Rescue. They have a very dedicated corps of volunteers. They regularly transport dogs and cats up north where adopters are waiting.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:08 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Have you adopted any pets from foster? We have, and so we send $10. a month to this small, local organization that finds homes for small older dogs. If you have a local PetSmart that holds pet adoption events, go talk to them and see which organizations you want to support. There are other ways of doing it too, such as sending them regular shipments of food and supplies.

I can tell you that the one we have fostered for here is called One Love Animal Rescue. They have a very dedicated corps of volunteers. They regularly transport dogs and cats up north where adopters are waiting.
There are lots of small local foster/rescue organizations all over. I'm not sure how solid any of them are. Here today, gone tomorrow! They're great (I've even volunteered for some), but I wouldn't necessarily write them into my will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets