Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 03:45 PM

30,492 posts, read 16,202,768 times

Advertisements

I too recommend Charity Navigator. If you scroll down you can narrow your search to animal helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 07:41 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Are you looking to leave it specifically to animal charities? What about those who work with service animals?

I assume not, though, since you also mention senior or hospice organizations? (In which case, there might be a better place for this than limiting to the "pets" subsection.)

Old 02-19-2024, 07:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

I assume not, though, since you also mention senior or hospice organizations? (In which case, there might be a better place for this than limiting to the "pets" subsection.)
The OP was talking about senior-to-senior pet rescues and pet hospices.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:58 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
My top state animal welfare charity has an Office of Planned Giving. So, they have information on the website and numbers for people you can talk to. So, I believe I would research and talk to several charities before deciding (and it will likely become more obvious the correct choice for you). Example for my state https://legacy.oregonhumane.org/givi...20is%20settled..

Also, I was looking up PETCO because they always collect money. You can see who they give to (and they disperse it pretty far and wide). Dispersing a little bit to a lot of organizations is likely to do more good (getting money down to individual small pet rescues (which is really how it's done on the ground level) might be the way to go. I know if I had to make a fast decision instead of researching and vetting hundreds of pet rescues this is what I would do (because they have likely done a good job vetting them already. Look here starting on Page 34 and it shows where their annual disbursements are going https://assets.ctfassets.net/gynu23g...990-FY2021.pdf. I would give to Petco Love until I figured it out (if a big lotto came in on December 1st and I had no time to decide). I would not overwhelm my local Cat Adoption Team with more than a million.

Just like spending money it's work to give it away also.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:11 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
If you can find a legitimate animal sanctuary, then you would be helping animals who were abused, or farm animals who are no longer productive. The problem is finding one that has a solid reputation.

I went to the World Parrot Refuge on Vancouver Island, BC, some years back. I have a special interest in exotic birds like cockatoos and macaws. So many people get these beautiful creatures as pets, then hurt or abandon them, and the birds will self-mutilate. There were hundreds of birds there, they were well cared for, it was a beautiful sight.But I guess the director of the sanctuary died, with no provision made for the birds, so that is heartbreaking.

My daughter took me to a pig sanctuary in California. They cared specifically for pigs but also other abandoned farm animals, like goats & hens who no longer laid eggs. I have a elderly mule from a small, local sanctuary.

These are animals that have been hurt, that no one wanted, & the goal is to let them live their remaining days in peace & safety. They are the ones that need the most help. Research some sanctuaries, just do your homework on their financials.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:15 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
This one is a bit far out and probably would not work in most locations, but locally there is a TV station that excels at local award programs and they run charities and food drives and all sorts of community stuff. They would be happy to have a fund donated to be distributed in some sort of yearly animal care award.

They already do special features on service animal trainers, and on the pet shelters, and animal rescues. They do cash awards for things like the best teacher, or most loved small local restaurant (during covid when the restaurants were having an awful time) They run special food drives at the holidays. They are very involved in community service. They run special "vote for the best or most deserving whatever" and give cash rewards.

Pay attention to your local TV channels and see if there is something like that local to you. I've seen other local TV stations do that sort of thing, although not to the level that this local station does. They can't be the only station that is like that, though.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:10 AM

2,628 posts, read 1,173,205 times
I am giving to animal legal defense because I believe we and the animals need legal representation when they are removed from puppy mills, and abused homes. Someone has to represent them in court to punish the violent and abusive offender. Also they help fight to pass better laws to protect pets, and all animals.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:52 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Money sitting in an IRA or 401k is better off given to a 501(c)(3) organization because they do not pay taxes on that deferred money (they get to keep the entire amount).

Old 02-20-2024, 11:10 AM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Money sitting in an IRA or 401k is better off given to a 501(c)(3) organization because they do not pay taxes on that deferred money (they get to keep the entire amount).
Yes, I forgot, make sure of that.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:12 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP was talking about senior-to-senior pet rescues and pet hospices.
And this IS the pet forum, so...

Yes; I'm interested in helping only animals!

Humans can fend for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets