Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times

Advertisements

Synopsis and Stillwater,

At least windshields come in handy for more than just keeping the wind off your face. I was driving in Mexico in my little VW bug and the window would be a death trap for these beautiful yellow butterflies that filled the air everywhere. Wish we had them or something like them.

Jammie, We had no bugs all year, not even ants, and then it began warming up, and the warmer it gets the more we have.

I have seen the photos of what a brown recluse does, and that is why I am so on edge.

Tornadoes are more scary, which is why I moved to east OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 12:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Yea, tornadoes are scary. But I've lived in tornado alley all my life so I just know to take cover and pray when there's a warning. Like I said before, we don't NORMALLY get the upper scale tornadoes that Tx. Ok. and Ks. get, but we get some that are pretty destructive.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 123,746 times
Fireants are painful (oh yeah) but the pain doesn't last long if as soon as the white cap on top appears you remove it thus draining the poison.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 AM

Interesting point on fireants Okiebound. I bought some snuff because I learned if you get it wet and apply it it draws out the sting of insects, i.e. poison. Gotta give it a try but don't plan on chewing it first.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
You know what? All these ideas on controlling these varments are great but as for worrying about them I really don't too much. both Hubby and I hate spiders, hubby particularly but after living in Calif, Va, Tx and now NM, we are know these guy and girls are everywhere. Even knowing that we have only come in contact with 2 rattle snakes (both while living in Ca) 1 scorpian, in Texas, never a recluse, but black widows a lot and many traculas. They won't hurt you so they don't bother me. Now, it's the fire ants that I hate, I have been biten by several at once, sure it only hurts for a little while, but that little while is more than I care to remember.

Nita

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 PM

nmnita,

I am with you on the fire ants. The only bugs that I have caught so far in my sticky traps are one cockroach, one black widow, one brown recluse, one tick, and one dog.

My dog came running up to my husband with this sticky trap on her ear and side of her face. We felt so bad for her. I had these things under the dressers, but obvious not far enough. After using scissors and peanut butter we finally got it off of her. But she was so distraught afterwards that I decided to take her to the river to run and play.

This is a sad story of how things are in OK. At the river I saw a dog and motioned for it to come to me. When she got to me she jumped up on me and cried. She was a young yellow lab, how young I don't know. But she cried because she was suffering from starvation and ticks. I walked her back to the car and tried to get her to get in, but she wouldn't. I was afraid to pick her up because I have had dogs snap at me when I have tried to pick them up. I got into the car and started the engine. She cried again. I got out, picked her up and took her home.

I gave her a bath and called Animal Rescue. They don't kill dogs here but try to find them homes. I would have kept her but my husband felt that one dog was enough. The man at Animal Rescue said that he has so many that he couldn't take her unless she was a lab and they are easy to place. I spent the next two hours picking out ticks with my bare hands. It wasn't easy. But I found that she had dog ticks, long star ticks, and deer ticks. By the time the man came to get her there may have been 30 to 50 more left. The county or State doesn't help out the humane society here, so they rely on donations. People don't always take good care of dogs or cats, and so they are left to starve. It is a scary thing to be an unwanted animal here. And I thought of how many people must have met this young dog when they went to the river, because it was a place where they had honey wagons and garbage cans. She must have just ate when people came to picnic.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:44 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
That is so sad jessaka, but at least you got her some help and hopefully she'll be fine. I hate to see it when animals suffer because of someone's neglect or abuse. The little dog we have (basenji/chiwawa mix) was rescued by my wife right off the street. She just saw this little dog in the neighborhood about 5 miles from our home one day and he looked scared because it was about to rain. She went out to pet him and when she did this lady sitting on her porch said "You should take that dog, the people who own him abuse him horribly." She said they poured gasoline on him and all kinds of bad things. Sure enough, when she brought him home he was trembling all over and did NOT like me at first sight - you could tell he was scared to death of men.
It's been two years now and his emotional scars remain. Whoever had him must've left him outside when it stormed because he is absolutely terrified of thunder. And if he hears a loud pop he runs for cover and will not come out.
He's a good pet and happy now, but you can tell that he was horribly abused - not as much physically but emotionally. The poor guy is suffering right now from a neck problem (dislocated disc) and we're having to keep him as still as we can for two weeks.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
nmnita,

I am with you on the fire ants. The only bugs that I have caught so far in my sticky traps are one cockroach, one black widow, one brown recluse, one tick, and one dog.

My dog came running up to my husband with this sticky trap on her ear and side of her face. We felt so bad for her. I had these things under the dressers, but obvious not far enough. After using scissors and peanut butter we finally got it off of her. But she was so distraught afterwards that I decided to take her to the river to run and play.

This is a sad story of how things are in OK. At the river I saw a dog and motioned for it to come to me. When she got to me she jumped up on me and cried. She was a young yellow lab, how young I don't know. But she cried because she was suffering from starvation and ticks. I walked her back to the car and tried to get her to get in, but she wouldn't. I was afraid to pick her up because I have had dogs snap at me when I have tried to pick them up. I got into the car and started the engine. She cried again. I got out, picked her up and took her home.

I gave her a bath and called Animal Rescue. They don't kill dogs here but try to find them homes. I would have kept her but my husband felt that one dog was enough. The man at Animal Rescue said that he has so many that he couldn't take her unless she was a lab and they are easy to place. I spent the next two hours picking out ticks with my bare hands. It wasn't easy. But I found that she had dog ticks, long star ticks, and deer ticks. By the time the man came to get her there may have been 30 to 50 more left. The county or State doesn't help out the humane society here, so they rely on donations. People don't always take good care of dogs or cats, and so they are left to starve. It is a scary thing to be an unwanted animal here. And I thought of how many people must have met this young dog when they went to the river, because it was a place where they had honey wagons and garbage cans. She must have just ate when people came to picnic.
I fell sorry for your dog as well as the Lab. Sometimes we watch the animal channel, it is impossible to realize how bad some animals are treated. When we are watching something really sad I remind our 2 dogs how lucky they have it. You know what? I don't think they quite understand. All kidding aside we have lived in areas where Saturday night was pick off tick night. Northern Calif and Glendora Ca were the worst. Both houses were in very hilly areas with thick foliage. In fact one of our dogs had a tick on his neck right here, a couple months ago. It is the only one I have seen in NM. Of course the Road Runners survive on snakes so they help keep the rattle snakes out in the desert, thank god.....

Nita

ps; we have a read animal problem here as well. The county does help some, but it is a very poor county so there isn't much extra money. donations are the only way, that and the free nuetering clinics which are too few and far between plus trying to educate people to the importance of only having as many animals as you can care for, making sure they have their shots and are nuetered unless you intent on breeding pure breeds only. Even that should be kept to a minimum in my opinion. And now my lecture will end....

Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
That is so sad jessaka, but at least you got her some help and hopefully she'll be fine. I hate to see it when animals suffer because of someone's neglect or abuse. The little dog we have (basenji/chiwawa mix) was rescued by my wife right off the street. She just saw this little dog in the neighborhood about 5 miles from our home one day and he looked scared because it was about to rain. She went out to pet him and when she did this lady sitting on her porch said "You should take that dog, the people who own him abuse him horribly." She said they poured gasoline on him and all kinds of bad things. Sure enough, when she brought him home he was trembling all over and did NOT like me at first sight - you could tell he was scared to death of men.
It's been two years now and his emotional scars remain. Whoever had him must've left him outside when it stormed because he is absolutely terrified of thunder. And if he hears a loud pop he runs for cover and will not come out.
He's a good pet and happy now, but you can tell that he was horribly abused - not as much physically but emotionally. The poor guy is suffering right now from a neck problem (dislocated disc) and we're having to keep him as still as we can for two weeks.
Isn't it amazing how some of us get our little kids: we have 2 dogs, one a pure breed English Springer (we have had Springers for about 35 years now) and we have our little Maltese/? mix. Our Springer was given to a lady for Christmas by her son about 7 years ago. Of couese the lady worked and had heard that it was ok to cage a puppy. Of course it is, but not 21-22 hours per day. She wondered why training him was so horrible and decided if she couldn't find a home she would have him put down. Thank God our son in law heard the story, called us and asked if we were ready to add to collection. We already had 2 Springer but one was reaching old age. We took him, gave him a real name, had him altered and got his shots. Well he has turned out to be the smartest dog we have ever had and the sweetest. Our little guy was found walking down the main street of town on a Sunday morning. A friend picked him up and called to see if we would take him. We had just lost 2 of our Springers so of course we said Yes, no attempt was made to find his owner. He was about 18 months old, his collar was a size to small and cutting into his neck, he hadn't been altered and was matted so bad we had to just have him shaved. I don't think he mistreated, but just never treated. He is a real lap dog, a great companion and loves hubby to death. As for smart, Nope, he is actually pretty dumb, but still a delight especially every morning when he first comes up to me and puts his front paws on my shoulders to take his morning stretch, then he goes over to the other side of the bed and repeats the stretching routine with my hubby. Sometimes I think they are better than kids.

Nita

Old 06-01-2007, 04:47 AM

Those are all wonderful stories.

The good thing happening here in Tahlequah is that you can now get your dog neutered for $10 through the Humane Society. This group is really doing its best to help animals, along with Dr. Elliot that helps out with animal rescue too. Hopefully, people will change.

I keep wanting another dog for our border collie to play with, but right now she plays all day with our neighbor's dog. This yellow dog would have been perfect, but my husband says no. It may not be long before I find one when he is in the right mood for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma