Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM

213 posts, read 765,057 times

Advertisements

I read that there are 5000 different types of snakes in the U.S. and 4998 of them are found in Oklahoma. I doubt those numbers are correct, but would anyone shed some light on any snake problems in OK? We are looking at a small farm in the Yale area if things work out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 02:27 PM

184 posts, read 1,211,955 times
[url]http://osuextra.okstate.edu/pdfs/F-9010web.pdf[/url]

Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 AM

8 posts, read 76,928 times
From my experiance, unless you live in a heavily wooded, swap-like area thet're not really a problem; You mainly have to watch out in the warmer months for for copperheads & westwern diamond-back rattlers and around water, the cotton mouth.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
That "stat" came out of a joke book or something. There aren't that many snakes in Oklahoma compared to other southern and southwestern states.

We have them but you won't have to deal with them unless you live in a heavily wooded area. Even then I don't see them hardly ever and I do a lot of outdoor activity. Contrast that to Arizona and Florida where I contended with lots of snakes on almost a daily basis when going in the wilderness.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:53 AM

114 posts, read 602,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiatook_911 View Post
From my experiance, unless you live in a heavily wooded, swap-like area thet're not really a problem;
Not necessarily true. I have seen many rattlers and copperheads in open areas of the Wichita Mountains. Also, if you go farther west from there, up around Mangum, that place is literally crawling with "coon-tails" (western diamondbacks). The snake hunters that collect specimens for the annual Rattlesnake Roundup hunt for their quarry in open rangeland, around bluffs or outcroppings of rock. If you ever go to the roundup, you will see lots of 4-5 footers.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 76,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey75 View Post
Not necessarily true. I have seen many rattlers and copperheads in open areas of the Wichita Mountains. Also, if you go farther west from there, up around Mangum, that place is literally crawling with "coon-tails" (western diamondbacks). The snake hunters that collect specimens for the annual Rattlesnake Roundup hunt for their quarry in open rangeland, around bluffs or outcroppings of rock. If you ever go to the roundup, you will see lots of 4-5 footers.
That's true, I forgot about down there... I guess it's safe to say that any place that's "wilderness" you're bound ot find something! Watch out for the man-eating raccoon that roam the camp grounds at Wichita Mts. too!

Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM

213 posts, read 765,057 times
Default Snake population in Seminole area

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiatook_911 View Post
From my experiance, unless you live in a heavily wooded, swap-like area thet're not really a problem; You mainly have to watch out in the warmer months for for copperheads & westwern diamond-back rattlers and around water, the cotton mouth.
Thanks for the information from all you folks. We are looking at a couple of hundred acres about 5 miles south of Seminole - 40% pasture and 60% timber. Also, the property backs up to a 55 acre lake. Any comments on this area would be appreciated. Cottonmouths may be a problem if we go swimming in the lake, but I don't know for sure.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:04 PM

184 posts, read 1,211,955 times
It isn't like you see them all the time. I saw one about 3 years ago but it was a garter (?) snake. It had probably been 25 years since I had seen one before that and it was a black snake...both non-venomous.

I think it depends on the areas whether you will see any. But if you do ever encounter one you might want to know about the three types of venomous snakes in Oklahoma-
[LIST][*]"Rattlesnake"[*] cotton-mouth (also known as the water moccasin[*] copperhead.[/LIST]
Although most Oklahoma venomous snakes are not aggressive and will not attack humans unless crowded, threatened, surprised or provoked, some cottonmouths (water moccasin) have been reported to exhibit a more aggressive behavior.

Rattlesnakes are often out searching for something to eat on warm summer nights. They have a loud distinctive "rattling" noise.

Diamondback rattlesnakes generally come out of hibernation and venture out of there dens as temperatures begin to warm in May-June and may be seen "sunning themselves" on the ground or on warm rocks to maintain their body temperature during both late spring and early fall. During the warmer summer months they will rarely venture out into the heat of the day and instead hunt by night.

Copperheads are non-aggressive and take a defensive posture only when threatened. Like rattlesnakes and cottonmouths, the copperhead is a pit viper, and can hunt for prey by day or night. In the heat of summer copperheads generally only come out at night to hunt (mice, small birds, frogs, etc.) In the spring and fall they will come out during the day.

If you encounter a snake, stay out of a snake's striking distance (at least a snake-length away; most snakes can only strike half to two-thirds their own length.) Walk around the snake!
[LIST][*]Leave snakes alone. Many people are bitten because they try to kill a snake or get a closer look at it.
[*]Stay out of tall grass unless you wear thick leather boots, and remain on hiking paths as much as possible.
[*]Keep hands and feet out of areas you can't see. Be cautious when picking up rocks or firewood or when climbing rocks.[/LIST]

Old 02-04-2007, 09:21 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
This is all true. Give the little critters a little room and a lot of respect . During my 3 years at Ft. Sills I can only recall 1 person being bitten by a rattle snake. Only because he was foolish enough to put his sleeping bag out on the ground and didn't check before he climbed in with it. Most bad encounters
with snake are usually do to human errors. They're only reacting on what nature taught them to do. Water moccasins on the other hand. If your by the waters edge and you see the water churning, just walk away. There is a female in the mix and all the males are trying to breed with her . And they can get mean real fast, don't throw things at the masses.
Scorpions and Black Widows were a bigger problem.
If you ever get a chance to go see a rattle snake round up, do it. It's a great learning experience. The people there know what they are doing. Not to forget that snake sandwiches taste great .

Old 02-04-2007, 09:36 PM

208 posts, read 872,155 times
Default Cats and snakes

We don't mind snakes,our cats bring us garter snakes frequently.My husband is worried about our cats and dog not having the experience to know to stay away from the dangerous kinds.Anybody have any troubles with their pets on relocation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma