Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 06:29 PM

21 posts, read 70,028 times

Advertisements

I don't care where you live your going to see some kind of snake. yikes. I kill all of them that are not dead. I don't care they just make my skin crawl..I cannot stand the site of them. I use to live in the country an I hate the country. Now that is where I did see some big big snakes. They were creepy. So all I have to say is snakes will bite you. At least a scorpin you can step on it. I would say move to the city were there are less snakes creeping around you yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Well I have to admit I had a snake in our yard when we lived in VA that was almost a pet. I too hate them and am scared to death of them, but this little guy lived for weeks between one of our flower gardens and the edge of the lawn. He was green and yellow, very pretty, just kind of stayed around for a good part of the summer and I would check on him every couple of days. No I wasn't drinking when I visited him, I just thought he was fun to watch.

Nita

Old 06-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Just had to add this: today we were in Albuquerque doing some shopping. While at Traders Joes(most of you don't know about Trader Joes) there was a bicycle chained just outside the store: the bumper sticker (well it was a sign, not a true bumper sticker) read :safe the rattlesnakes, outlaw all rattlesnake roundups" Of course rattlesnake round ups are very popular here and in Texas in the spring to early summer. They are like a festival celebration. All I could think about when I saw this was the forum and how much most of us hate snakes.

Nita

ps: I am sorry, I didn't take down phone number for any of you.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I highly approve of rattlesnake roundups. They make the land more inhabitable.

Killing other snakes that are non poisonous is not good in my book, but if you are frightened of them and have no one to remove them to a better home, then I can understand it.

Trader Joe's is a wonderful town. I truly miss it, but then I seldom bought anything other than their dairy products, and Reasoner's here in Oklahoma have a lot of what I bought at Trader Joes', and they also have many imported items, so I don't miss Trader Joe's any more.

I would welcome some snakes in my yard and would hope that my dog wouldn't kill them, but I hope to never see poisonous ones. We do have frogs and turtles that are cute. And my husband saw a strange flying insect that I missed. He said it was just over one inch long, florescent green head, and shiny purple and yellow or black wings.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:19 AM

450 posts, read 2,055,838 times
Wink Some perspective on snakes.

I just got back from Toldeo Bend in Northwest Louisiana and East Texas. I expected to see lots of snakes on my land along the lake, but saw only one small one. I was told that water mocassins or cotton mouths were aggressive and would chase you. Well, I did not go down by the bayou to check that one out--kept to the high ground--but oldtimers told me that mocassins do not really chase you--but they wil rear up and hold their ground rather than scurry away like most snakes. I believe that if you are in the water--on a boat--and come into their territory they might pursue you a bit. Have a large walking stick and pound that on the ground. Snakes don't like the vibrations and will generally get out of the way.

Mocassins favor more sluggish or swamp water. If the water is active with some wind and current they are not so likely to be there. Copperheads like pine needle covered areas. Rattlers like rocky crevices. But these guy are rarely seen--unless you are in a breeding area. They just do not like people and will try to get away. Just don't poke your fingers and hands into crevices or other holes without checking first. Don't go out to the woodpile at night without a flash light and wear some gloves. I remember doing that in Northern Minnesota without thinking a lick about snakes cause we had no venemous ones. I would stumble around in the dark and grab the wood without any light. I don't do that in Oklahoma.

Truth be told, snakes are pretty rare. But if you are in a breeding ground you may have to deal with them. Some people keep guinea hens in the country to discourage them. They do not like cat urine, so kitties might help. Very few cats actually go after snakes. Pigs kill snakes without batting a eye or a snout. Some plant cedar trees or scatter moth balls as they don't like the scent. Make sure all pipes coming up from under the house do not have gaps. They like to sit around air conditioner units to keep warm. If they get in your house, they will most likely head to the commode and wrap around the base of it. But they really don't want in your house--unless you are keeping hamsters in there You want snakes? Raise bunnies and hamsters and gerbils. Hey, maybe you could keep them occupied having these critters running about your yard and they will stay away from the house!

Finally, most snakes are harmless. But they still give me the willies!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Kurt, I loved your post. LOL. I will be sure not to get a hamster, and there are so many cats in my block that they probably scared the snakes away. I will even hold a snake if it isn't poisonous. I like some of them. I guess that was an old tale about them chasing you. I had an Aussie years ago and when in Florida I used to walk down the road that went through the swamp. She came upon a water moccasin and went to sniff it, then I quickly said NO and she back away, and the snake didn't even try to bite her. She was lucky. I soon quick walking down that road.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM

jesseka,

I will miss Trader Joes. We just got one here about a year or so ago. I bet I have spent $500 or maybe closer to $700.00 there. We love their breads, eggs, produce, cheeses and of course the wine. We used to shop at them in Calif when we visited or AZ or NV> Now I can shop right here. Oh well, I know there are lots of take offs all over the country. Where my daughter lives no west of Dallas they have a store named Sprouts. It is similar. Not as good but certainly better than nothing. Nita

Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 PM

99 posts, read 504,117 times
Default Love the post Kurt Thanks :O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I just got back from Toldeo Bend in Northwest Louisiana and East Texas. I expected to see lots of snakes on my land along the lake, but saw only one small one. I was told that water mocassins or cotton mouths were aggressive and would chase you. Well, I did not go down by the bayou to check that one out--kept to the high ground--but oldtimers told me that mocassins do not really chase you--but they wil rear up and hold their ground rather than scurry away like most snakes. I believe that if you are in the water--on a boat--and come into their territory they might pursue you a bit. Have a large walking stick and pound that on the ground. Snakes don't like the vibrations and will generally get out of the way.

Mocassins favor more sluggish or swamp water. If the water is active with some wind and current they are not so likely to be there. Copperheads like pine needle covered areas. Rattlers like rocky crevices. But these guy are rarely seen--unless you are in a breeding area. They just do not like people and will try to get away. Just don't poke your fingers and hands into crevices or other holes without checking first. Don't go out to the woodpile at night without a flash light and wear some gloves. I remember doing that in Northern Minnesota without thinking a lick about snakes cause we had no venemous ones. I would stumble around in the dark and grab the wood without any light. I don't do that in Oklahoma.

Truth be told, snakes are pretty rare. But if you are in a breeding ground you may have to deal with them. Some people keep guinea hens in the country to discourage them. They do not like cat urine, so kitties might help. Very few cats actually go after snakes. Pigs kill snakes without batting a eye or a snout. Some plant cedar trees or scatter moth balls as they don't like the scent. Make sure all pipes coming up from under the house do not have gaps. They like to sit around air conditioner units to keep warm. If they get in your house, they will most likely head to the commode and wrap around the base of it. But they really don't want in your house--unless you are keeping hamsters in there You want snakes? Raise bunnies and hamsters and gerbils. Hey, maybe you could keep them occupied having these critters running about your yard and they will stay away from the house!

Finally, most snakes are harmless. But they still give me the willies!
I love your humor I am scared of snakes I have 3 little dogs so I am more afraid of ticks getting on them But will make sure to get frontline on them and Hbby will keep evrything sprayed .We are moving this week from Ca. to BA OK. It is in a nice sub divsion so I hope I don't have snakes run around the place I think we will be ok at our new home but Hubby is buying him a new bass boat so we will be careful out on the lakes .Thanks Kurt you made me laugh

Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 AM

114 posts, read 572,409 times
Smile My wife and I are birdwatchers - still concerned about Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
That is one of the things I like about Alaska: NO snakes...not a one. You can walk throught the grass and woods without a care. And the worst that can happen by the water is you might fall in. Winters are TOO long and TOO cold though...seems like no matter where you go in this world, you can't win...there will always be something bad about the place...

Bud
We like to go to the country alot and often in California and Oregon - walked into the brush. We never did see any snakes but rattlesnakes are supposed to be very common there.

Snakes are often beneficial but also kill a lot of birds and rob their nests. A large gopher snake can clean out a house of Purple Martins or a Colony of Cliff Swallows. They themselves are vulnerable to Redtailed and other hawks.

Things balance out somewhat but I would still like a snake free yard. Here in Missouri we had a small garter snake in a pile of bricks in our backyard but we've never seen any others.

In Patagonia Arizona we were walking along the edge of a lake and the area was so suitable for rattlesnakes we both swung 6 foot branches in front of us. Surived that one.

Thanks for the information and if we live in Oklahoma I will be very careful - and I won't tell my wife - she might not want to go there. <G>

Will Rogers often said that all the snakes are in washington dc.

MajorHart

Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM

114 posts, read 572,409 times
Default I'm glad you can enjoy snake meat. <G>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
A lot of people have a big misconception about rattlesnakes . They're not out to hunt down humans or other large animals, except mice and anything else that suites their fancy. (Food that is). Just give them their distance, especially during the shedding season. They do have a bad habit of striking quiker without warning, do to fact they are temporarily blinded.
But, as for the rattlesnake round-up. When I was stationed at Ft. Sills Okla they had an annual rattlesnake round-up at Cash Okla. next to Sills. Whether they still hold it or not is beyond me, its been 20 years since I was last there. But I do remember having some of the best snake burgers and snake stew in my life, yummy !!! They also held live demonstrations on snake milking, handling and what to do incase of bad encounter with a rattler. And the local Indian Tribes would show their talents on snake charming as well, you know Billy Jack stuff. Now what time of the year it is? I can't remember, maybe call the local chamber of commerce.
Like eating at Quizno's, or Chinese food - I have absolutely no curiousity about what snake meat tastes like.

My wife loves chinese food - used to always ask me to have some - I always said "WHY?"

I'm glad snakemeat is good but no thanks. <G>

MajorHart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma