Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Since I haven't done it before I thought I would go to Cushing and take some pictures of it. The downtown looks a little sad and runned down, but interesting, such as the awesome murals. Don't miss them. They are very well done and beats what's in Stillwater and maybe a lot of other towns as well.

While in Cushing, I sadly noted the trees were still showing signs of damage from the ice storm late last year that missed Stillwater by a matter of miles. So let's get this photo journey started:

This sits on the corner outside Cushing city hall

This plaque also sits outside Cushing city hall. Sorry about the text cutoff.

Cushing Post Office

This building was built in 1917.

A look at more downtown buildings follows

First Christian Church

One movie theater is still open in Cushing.

This used be a hotel, now home for senior citizens.

This is the Cushing Community Theater. I've seen a great Karsoke show in here before.

This might be Cushing's oldest downtown building.

I noticed in Cushing that every downtown corner has the USA flag flying. Notice two of them below.

The shop on the right side houses Show 'n Tell Times, a free ad paper for the area. On the east side of this building
is a mural of buffalo, coming up soon, but not next.

A nice preview of more downtown murals to come.

An interesting view of downtown Cushing

Cushing City Hall

The old railroad station. The town is letting it go abandoned. What a pity!

A broadside look at the old train station. At least the windows are boarded up for some protection for the building.

Ahrberg Milling, one of the strongest signs of industry in down Cushing.

A new Wal-Mart super center just opened in Cushing. It's not as huge as the new one on W. 6th in Stillwater.

The next three pictures show what Cushing is world famous for--the oil tank farms.

And finally the murals in downtown Cushing.

This mural knocked me out when I first came upon it. It portrays downtown Cushing in a earlier era. Note the brick
street. It's covered over now.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 05-28-2008 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Thanks for posting that. It was very interesting. Those murals were wonderful.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,709 times
Smile Thanks for the Cushing pictures!!

Good pics! Thanks for posting them. I'm always interested in Oklahoma towns!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Wonderful! You did a great job... but I didn't see any pics with your dashboard showing!

Thanks for sharing!

That is too bad about the brick street... Waurika has managed to keep the one they have running through downtown.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
Thanks for posting those pictures. Cushing looks like a nice town to me, a little run down in places but mostly looking good.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:19 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Wonderful! You did a great job... but I didn't see any pics with your dashboard showing!
Thanks for sharing!
You mean Stilltown is actually stopping the vehicle and getting out to snap pics? OMG, that's absolutely civilized!!

I like to try and see what book Peg is reading from her pics.

I've been to Cushing one time... to the private prison there. Its a much smaller town than I thought. But it has its share of wildness.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
I like cushing....great (and I MEAN GREAT) Italian food there.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:09 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Nice picture there StillwaterTownie,

Now there is one thing that I have noticed about all the wonderful pictures you've all posted. NO GARBAGE all over the stinkin place. Unlike this sorry arss state we live in, its everywere you look. Well it must be something in your drinking water that makes you Okies good people.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Wow, great pictures.

Last month on a visit there we bought a house in Cushing and sometime in the fall will be moving there (after the lease ends, whenver that is...its a mess). I'll have to send this link to show what the town looks like.

Wonder if I can change my screen name?
And the steak house has very very good food!

Nightbird47

Last edited by nightbird47; 06-08-2008 at 01:25 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 15,300 times
I grew up in Cushing (i don't live there anymore) and just today i've started wondering about Cushing's origins. I started wondering what my childhood house looked like when it was first built and how nice the new town must've been. there isn't a whole lot of good things in Cushing but these pictures help me imagine what it once was. By the way, they didn't cover the brick road they tore it up and then laid the asphalt/concrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma