Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,096 times

Advertisements

I have traveled to many states and people of Cushing and Oklahoma are best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 08:27 AM

840 posts, read 3,466,775 times
RE: These pictures (posted by StillwaterTownie, above) of the old Santa Fe Depot located on the west end of Broadway
in Cushing OK that was built in 1918 and abandoned in the 1980s
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I read on: Santa Fe Depot – Cushing | Abandoned Oklahoma

.... there was talk of tearing down what some say is the “best-looking old depot ” in the state. Chamber of
commerce, city and civic leaders formed a corporation several years ago and acquired the old depot on
nearly an acre of land. Since then, the property has passed hands a few times....

Audra stated that the Cushing Chamber of Commerce has completed the feasibility study and are starting
fundraising to begin the restoration of the depot by turning it into a pipeline interactive center!

A broadside look at the old train station. At least the windows are boarded up for some protection for the building.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
Found you some interesting info on Cushing:
CUSHING, OKLAHOMA ~ THE TOWN AND ITS PEOPLE
I was very hopeful that I might find some old pictures of the Dunkin Bridge northwest of Cushing at about the time the flood came through and one of the oil tanks took it out. However, when you click on the link: Found you some interesting info on Cushing:
CUSHING, OKLAHOMA ~ THE TOWN AND ITS PEOPLE it indicates that the site has been permanently taken down. Is there any way to get more information?

Old 08-31-2018, 10:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
The old Dunkin bridge floated away during the great flood of 1986. The Stillwater News Press had a picture of the scene. I miss that old one lane bridge. It was noisy to drive on. It was replaced by a modern two lane bridge. About a mile south of there the well cared for Dunkin family plot is interesting. Next to it is a small creepy cemetery not maintained.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:37 PM

30,142 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The old Dunkin bridge floated away during the great flood of 1986. The Stillwater News Press had a picture of the scene. I miss that old one lane bridge. It was noisy to drive on. It was replaced by a modern two lane bridge. About a mile south of there the well cared for Dunkin family plot is interesting. Next to it is a small creepy cemetery not maintained.

Nice photos. As someone who has only been here for a little over a year its interesting that not much has changed especially downtown. In fact I did not realize the photos were 10 years old until after I viewed them.

The movie theater is closed but someone is renovating it.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Nice photos. As someone who has only been here for a little over a year its interesting that not much has changed especially downtown. In fact I did not realize the photos were 10 years old until after I viewed them.

The movie theater is closed but someone is renovating it.

I think it sadly became another victum of the big quake we had which took down the towers. A few months ago I went looking to see what downtown looks like, and could tell the frame but it looked like the street was all closed and damaged buildings. Its such a shame since it was such a cool building, with the decoration from the theaters my mom called old. And it was affordable to go to more often.

I'm not sure what's been fixed and what is sitting there crumbling after the quake still. It reminded me of the oldtown part of Riverside out in socal with the older downtown having a whole neater and cooler feel than the modern stuff. Minus the smog, of course. At least Cushing is a good place if you have breathing problems especially from pollution. And you can't SEE the air here.

I'm hopeful that the area might be revisited and come back to life again, but less hopeful than I'd been.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
I'm glad the earthquakes aren't as bad as they used to be. I don't have to worry as much about the same devastation ending up happening to downtown Stillwater and OSU.

I went to see downtown Cushing several weeks ago and thought it was kinda strange to see traffic lights at every intersection flashing red for four way stops. It gave me the feeling that all was not well there.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 PM

30,142 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think it sadly became another victum of the big quake we had which took down the towers. A few months ago I went looking to see what downtown looks like, and could tell the frame but it looked like the street was all closed and damaged buildings. Its such a shame since it was such a cool building, with the decoration from the theaters my mom called old. And it was affordable to go to more often.

I'm not sure what's been fixed and what is sitting there crumbling after the quake still. It reminded me of the oldtown part of Riverside out in socal with the older downtown having a whole neater and cooler feel than the modern stuff. Minus the smog, of course. At least Cushing is a good place if you have breathing problems especially from pollution. And you can't SEE the air here.

I'm hopeful that the area might be revisited and come back to life again, but less hopeful than I'd been.
There is a brick building on Cleveland that has been fixed up just recently. There was a 2nd hand store on Moses St that recently closed. I ran into the proprietor recently at the gas station and said the landlord was trying to open a coffee shop or rent to someone who wanted to open one, not sure.

I think the downtown area suffers more for Walmart and people simply not having any reason to be there. I am there daily for various reasons. The Thursday night street festival seemed to have less people each month. Its over until next year.

I grew up in the Los Angeles area in the San Fernando Valley. I remember looking north towards the San Gabriel Mountains and seeing the brown smog against them. The air here is very clean. I do appreciate the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma