Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 10:26 AM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Are you in IT?

Here's the thing, we're looking at multiple cities/states to relocate to currently. My wife was really interested in OKC for a while but her interested has started to wayne because vaccine friendly pediatricians have been hard for us to find in the area. It's not out of the question though. Oklahoma is still a possibility for us, but it's all up in the air currently.
That said the tech job market of wherever we move to needs to be healthy so I can find a job.
What do you consider a vaccine friendly pediatrician?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
High tech companies are pulling their open job requisitions right and left in the wake of this Coronavirus, layoffs are being announced at large tech companies. If you have a secure job don't leave until this crisis has passed.

End of first quarter is generally a time of overload as year end bonuses have been paid out and it is time to make moves which have been planned for months.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:23 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,011,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What do you consider a vaccine friendly pediatrician?
One that gives parents the right to either choose the standard vax schedule, a delayed schedule (waiting till the child is a bit older) or not vax at all. Seems pretty hard to find these days (depending on the state/city). In some states/cities doctors are refusing to see children that aren't entirely vaccinated. As parents we want to find a place that gives us a choice.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:06 PM

436 posts, read 580,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
What? Why? This makes no sense.

I work in high tech and the most we have done is stop all non-essential travel and have all our employees in our Tokyo office stay home and work remotely.
I do not know but I have friends who are internal recruiters at some of the big high tech companies and their open requisitions have been canceled and remain empty, also no new job reqs are coming through. This just started in the last 14 days. The high tech and other industry layoffs are all over the news. One of the companies is using "you have been selected for workplace reduction" notifications. Does that language make it easier? Who knows.

I would however not leave a secure job with the global situation right now.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:30 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
One that gives parents the right to either choose the standard vax schedule, a delayed schedule (waiting till the child is a bit older) or not vax at all. Seems pretty hard to find these days (depending on the state/city). In some states/cities doctors are refusing to see children that aren't entirely vaccinated. As parents we want to find a place that gives us a choice.
I used to live in a ranch in Oklahoma when 3 of my kids were little and in one of their headstart classes was a child who'd endured the worst cast of HIB I have ever heard of . Child will never be able to live on his own or really be aware of much of anything . Its a very rural state . Even if you live in the city . I would not move to Ok unvaccinated at all . You will be around very rural people and alot of uneducated people .
I am super liberal also having just completed a great decade in Seattle but no way would I ever live in Ok
without my kids shots .
That poor child who'd survived HIB scared me to death .
The pediatricians are trying to try to keep kids safe in that state .

Old 03-07-2020, 06:19 AM

Dutchess - when did you live in OK and where?

Old 04-15-2020, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 8,294 times
The entire state is conservative & the Democrats that are here lean way more middle than left. Each city have there positively sides. OKC is VERY spread out. Tulsa has a very active downtown area for younger people as some have said on this thread & that is very true. OKC area has way more serious F5 & F4 tornado's as the storms generally die out around the hilly areas west of Tulsa.
Tulsa PD is highly respected throughout the country & are one of only a few nation wide whom REQUIRE a 4 year degree to be an officer. Dont however, confuse them with Tulsa County PD, which is a whole different story.
I may ruffle some feathers as this is a big issue between East & West Oklahoma, but if you plan on being in a 6A school district which is most areas surrounding Tulsa. Tulsa only has schools that are 5A. Anyways, if you have athletic children whom will play HS sports, then Tulsa area is the better choice.
Half of our state the Tulsa side is considered "Indian Country" & has the 5 civilized tribal jurisdiction. However, anyone can live anywhere they want & the only people this really effects are tribal members. In reality I'm pretty sure most people in the area don't really know they live in "Indian Country".
As you may have noticed, I'm partial to Tulsa!
I would not recommend living directly in either city but towns around both cities are usually really nice.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 8,294 times
Dutchess......Unvaccinated? My kids were NOT ever allowed to even enroll in any schools any year without their vaccinations. I really believe CA & a few other leftist states are the promoters of NOT vaccinating children.
Uneducated? Sounds like you watch CNN & think your better than everyone else & that's your problem! I have a masters & my college experience has had nothing to do with any other part of my life. College was meant to introduce new opinions, broken you mind & see other peoples ideas/opinions. The left has taken over colleges & only push one narrative, theirs! College has changed & now it's only for the indoctrinated & brain washed minds.
I'm glad you are not in Oklahoma & please don't return, however, I'm curious as to why your on the Oklahoma part of this forum at all, why is that? To push your libral narrative?

Last edited by nicrob42; 04-15-2020 at 08:39 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 09:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrob42 View Post
Tulsa only has schools that are 5A. Anyways, if you have athletic children whom will play HS sports, then Tulsa area is the better choice.
Gonna have to make a point here. Tulsa area suburban schools only have one high school in their districts. Oklahoma City suburban schools have two and three schools in many cases. Therefore, kids in the OKC schools actually have a much better opportunity to play because there are more schools in the districts.

I say this because of my own kid. My daughter went to Norman North. She was a starter on the basketball team. At Norman High she would have had extremely limited playing time (they had a much better team). She was able to get a full scholarship in basketball to a small college in Oklahoma for basketball. Had Norman only had one HS like the Tulsa (suburban) schools there is no way she would have gotten a sniff of a scholarship. In fact I'm not sure she would have played at all.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:24 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,412,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicrob42 View Post
Dutchess......Unvaccinated? My kids were NOT ever allowed to even enroll in any schools any year without their vaccinations. I really believe CA & a few other leftist states are the promoters of NOT vaccinating children.
Uneducated? Sounds like you watch CNN & think your better than everyone else & that's your problem! I have a masters & my college experience has had nothing to do with any other part of my life. College was meant to introduce new opinions, broken you mind & see other peoples ideas/opinions. The left has taken over colleges & only push one narrative, theirs! College has changed & now it's only for the indoctrinated & brain washed minds.
I'm glad you are not in Oklahoma & please don't return, however, I'm curious as to why your on the Oklahoma part of this forum at all, why is that? To push your libral narrative?
Great post nicrob42 totally agree! Get so tired of the Lib's sterotypes of conservatives. I know plenty of super intelligent people with PHD's and masters that are conservatives in favor of smaller gov't, freedom, etc... The Lib's fall for the "chariacture" sterotype propaganda blasted out by MSNBC, CNN, NPR, hollywood, academia.

I also get tired of Lib's who want every single square inch of the country to be their "progressive" utopia. We all know the drill, been said a million times on CD. Lib's "flee" Dem strongholds like CA, NY, Chicago, MA for conservative states, and then try to change them and make them like the places they couldn't wait to leave. I just don't get this! There are so many majority liberal voting "utopias" in the US (NY, MA CA, OR, Seattle, Denver, NM, NJ, CT, Miami, Baltimore, Austin, Chicago, Philly, DC, etc...) why not just move there??? Shouldn't all those place be great utopias by now from their majority liberal voters?

And this coming from a person who fled CA and much prefers more center to conservative parts of the US now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma