Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 06:09 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You're lucky to have what you got. At best, small town Oklahoma outside the metro areas has a Wal-Mart, maybe one more grocery store, along with a dollar store.

Fresh vegetables and fruits aren't in season yet.
This is 2020 and it should not take an act of congress to get a head of lettuce which is not wilted.
All the ruckus about saving kids from smoking and obesity being a major issue but no variety of grocery stores. I am not even asking for reasonably priced ones anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 01:46 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I posted earlier that I'm planning to move to Tulsa in about a year. As part of my planning I checked out the food scene. It looks good for a city of that size. In addition to the grocery stores, there are a number of middle-eastern restaurants, including a Persian place (not that common), a Burmese restaurant, several Indian places, and an interesting assortment of other nationalities. More sophisticated than I expected.

Where's that fish market? I need to check it out.
Bodean's, 51st and Harvard.

Another one is White River with locations in BA and on N Sheridan, but further away. I think they only fly in fish a few times a week but it's still good.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Bodean's, 51st and Harvard.
That looks great! But those are some big-city menu prices.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
That looks great! But those are some big-city menu prices.
That's why I mentioned White River, which is also really good at much lower prices. They are an Institution. It's a lot like the fish markets and restaurants you see all over in Florida. Very plain and very good.

White River Fish Market and Restaurant of Tulsa, Oklahoma

I forgot about Hebert's, which has Cajun seafood and meats. They are at 71st and Lewis and ship their items all over. They are awesome, best meat market for steaks in town, but they are spicy.

Hebert's Specialty Meats | Turducken | Cajun Food Delivery and Turduckens

Old 02-27-2020, 03:51 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Native Okie here living in DFW metro after a career living in Houston. I liked Houston but am happier where I am but find fresh seafood options scarce here compared to Houston. Just too far to move fresh seafood daily to keep the price in line with Houston. I like my fish to taste like chicken so its not a big loss for my taste.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:05 AM

57 posts, read 57,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
As someone who knows very little about Oklahoma, how do these two cities compare when it comes to family life for a young (early 30's) couple with small kids? We are fairly conservative people who are considering a move out IL. I'm in the tech industry fwiw, so job market is important.

Open to any/all input, thanks!
I'm not familiar with Tulsa except to drive through, but isn't Tulsa's big suburb Broken Arrow considered pretty nice? It's grown like a prairie fire for the past few decades and it looks fairly upscale.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:40 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
I was about to offer OP access to my LinkedIn with nine years of contacts in this market.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/birm...mingham-2.html

Old 03-04-2020, 06:36 PM

436 posts, read 579,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
As someone who knows very little about Oklahoma, how do these two cities compare when it comes to family life for a young (early 30's) couple with small kids? We are fairly conservative people who are considering a move out IL. I'm in the tech industry fwiw, so job market is important.

Open to any/all input, thanks!
High tech companies are pulling their open job requisitions right and left in the wake of this Coronavirus, layoffs are being announced at large tech companies. If you have a secure job don't leave until this crisis has passed.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I was about to offer OP access to my LinkedIn with nine years of contacts in this market.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/birm...mingham-2.html
Are you in IT?

Here's the thing, we're looking at multiple cities/states to relocate to currently. My wife was really interested in OKC for a while but her interested has started to wayne because vaccine friendly pediatricians have been hard for us to find in the area. It's not out of the question though. Oklahoma is still a possibility for us, but it's all up in the air currently.
That said the tech job market of wherever we move to needs to be healthy so I can find a job.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
High tech companies are pulling their open job requisitions right and left in the wake of this Coronavirus, layoffs are being announced at large tech companies. If you have a secure job don't leave until this crisis has passed.
What? Why? This makes no sense.

I work in high tech and the most we have done is stop all non-essential travel and have all our employees in our Tokyo office stay home and work remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma