Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:43 PM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
nightbird47 - personally, I'd take a way nicer/larger house on a decent sized lot in a boring low crime area over the same priced dump in a high crime California area anyday, everyday. A choice like that wouldn't even begin to spark a debate.
In Cushing OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 02:12 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
Since it's less than an hour from Tulsa, I would take a super nice house in Cushing over some dump priced the same in LA, you bet. I'd choose a lot of places over Cushing though.
I refuse to live in a high crime area, it's the first thing I look at, priority #1. So unless I win the lottery, unfortunately I will never be able to afford to live in an acceptable CA coastal area.

Last edited by duke944; 07-25-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Since it's less than an hour from Tulsa, I would take a super nice house in Cushing over some dump priced the same in LA, you bet. I'd choose a lot of places over Cushing though.
I refuse to live in a high crime area, it's the first thing I look at, priority #1. So unless I win the lottery, unfortunately I will never be able to afford to live in an acceptable CA coastal area.

Out in California, getting a lot more on disability than here, I still had to get on a list for financial help as rents even of old apartment buildings which don't meet the building code are excessive. They thought they'd sneek that past the company buying the place, but they send out their own inspector, and he killed the deal. Then they quit caring what happened, and the druggies moved in and my DOGS made sure nobody tried my apartment. He was small but sounded as big as my shepard mix I have now. But I never left long. And not too long at night. By the time I moved over half of it was empty and nobody wanted the rest of it.

My little house in Cushing is a top security building compared to that. My smaller dog, got here, barks in unison with my big dog. Nobody has bothered. And I wanted *small*. There is no such thing in a seperate structure in Califonia unless someone snuck in a tiny house somewhere, or the place is grandfathered in. And costs for houses, even small cheap ones, are unreal in socal especially. In looking at the relator pages online, it looks like the speculators are buying them up so they may 'improve' them.

I'm sure there are other people besides me who want a SMALL, 800 sf or less house, at the biggest. And who like an older (like 50/60 plus year old) houses, but developers are busy knocking them down for more

space for more mansions. The pesants can go and find their own little village where nobody wants to live.

So for now, I stay where I am. I've got to find a way to get places, *especially* the vet since the local senior ride setup won't take animals. And while people sometimes discourage their dogs from barking loudly, I don't. If there is an unknown persom hanging around, especially when nobody should be, two dogs who sound like big shepards are a good discouragement.

Not really happy about the way this turned out, but maybe in the future when I get older (66 is not OLD and decrepid) my son will have a little time and figured out how cost of living works and maybe I'll move closer. Or he'll have done everything he planned in Utah and wants to go back to California. Maybe there might be a way to do it then, but we can only speculate.

My real wish would be a bigger (720 or so sf) tiny house, with all the space savings stuff used in them. I LOVE the concept. A while ago, I realized that my 720 sf house has half which just has stuff sitting there. I am fine with the rest of it and would LOVE to redesgn it with the space saving stuff of a tiny house. I hope with the growing pressure for housing for those who cannot afford big places, that they'll let up on permitting them.

Later, if I could find a place where they are permitted, I would love to move there and really start over.

As for my son? Heck, I moved out with my roommate after Mom died (friend who needed a place and Dad said to ask). We moved and he moved and it was a sad mess. When kids are hitting adult years, its hard to let go.

I continue to follow the tiny homes and what's going on with them, and hope someday to be able to be somewhere I really want to be. But it likely won't be in Utah as the state as a whole does not allow smaller homes.

Sadly, my cats are almost all ten and showing their age, and I will also wait until they go to rainbow ridge as they've given so much love I would not abandon them.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
They will come and get you)))

We had a long discussion last night - stay in OK with no raise for the first two years or invoke contractual return to anywhere in the continental US including moving, house buy/sell, ..... It looks like we will be staying despite CD's consensus of it being a run down religious dope paradise.

As far as being on welfare is concerned - I have given up on trying to find someone for light housework. When I say light I mean it - dusting, ironing, ..., two half or one full day per week at 15/HR, bring your toddler if you can keep it behaved, lunch, snacks, music, supplies.

One reason may be that for some, the limited income they can get with such jobs disporportionally alters the amount they can get on something like foodstamps. There are levels based on your income. If a one day a week job adds just enough that it means they are too high for a normal level, but the bump up raises the level of income required to remain eligable.

While I was waiting for approval/denial on being disabled, I had almost NO money coming in. My family helped, but carefully. I'm sure they figured there was help, but if they chose to they could have killed the deal. And this was family. There is a thin line when waiting for some programs where help intended to be temperary is too easily just counted as income.

After approval, small amounts of help within the structure don't matter so much since they are a small percent. If they are not small, then many programs may be put at risk. Most have a dollar limit and when you stay on the program, you likely don't, but if it is 'private' it might cost a bunch at the end.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:18 PM

24,606 posts, read 10,921,225 times
I really do not understand what you are trying to say. If memory does not fail me you moved to OK for cheap COL and had a rough start but your family is originally from OK. Now your health issues are keeping you from going basically past the mailbox. Sorry - know the feeling.
You came in from CA, had not contributed to anything in OK but expect assistance. Well, I tried nicely to some of the nayers to offer you a ride. It is simply too far for me.
Will you be able to take good care of the kittens and do you have plan B?

Old 10-26-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think Oklahoma teachers are mainly fleeing to Dallas-Ft. Worth area. In Oklahoma, I think it's mainly important to pick your town to settle in very carefully when you got kids in school. Oklahoma isn't the only state where schools are poorly regarded. This Colorado school is changing to 4 day school weeks after 6 failed bond elections. There are other 4 day school districts in Colorado. I can't remember when a school bond election in Stillwater didn't pass.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nts/452178002/

When I was five, the local schools in Los Angeles were dumping the 'old curculium', which was mostly traditional, stressing reading, and were going to see and say. They also were cutting back on a lot of basics like math. If students got past the grades planned math, they''d go to the special class. So some kids barely got math and others were blooming. My parents decided that especially given I wasn't good with math, I went to private school. I'm still not good at math, but if I must I can do it. I can't imagine all those years of doing a job which included dealing with math without it.

I was in private school for fifth and most of 5th, and was of the best students in 6th grade in public school math. Of course, all of it had been covered the year before.

My problem with math isn't math so much as seeing numbers right 803 might look like 830 just as easily, and if I read it as that then that is what I wrote.... I'm also dyslexic with numbers. I did understand the processes, even if the answers usually came out wrong.

I'm very impressed with Stillwater and really really wish that eye surgery hadn't screwed up so many years ago so I had proper distance vision and it would be worth trying to HAVE a car..... for I'd go there a lot. I'd still like living out here in the quiet of Cushing.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
In downtown Cushing are all the traffic lights still flashing red at the intersections? When I was there last summer they sure were. It seemed quite eerie. I thought it gave out quite a negative impression that downtown Cushing was still trying to recover from that awful 5.0 earthquake. Thank goodness the earthquakes have gone down considerably so in frequency. So has my anxiety level. A 5.0 earthquake or more centered within the city limits of Stillwater would also be pretty bad.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
In downtown Cushing are all the traffic lights still flashing red at the intersections? When I was there last summer they sure were. It seemed quite eerie. I thought it gave out quite a negative impression that downtown Cushing was still trying to recover from that awful 5.0 earthquake. Thank goodness the earthquakes have gone down considerably so in frequency. So has my anxiety level. A 5.0 earthquake or more centered within the city limits of Stillwater would also be pretty bad.

I wonder if they are still blinking. Repair of other things where people live and work might have come as a priority, but while there is a legal way to read them most people don't know. But it sounds like a lot more progress has been made, looking at the phone book and list of businesses. The Towers apartments have been mentioned around my street as a family has a grandfather live there, and it is much improved.

I think most of the housing in the Stillwater to Cushing area and lots of the businesses would be bad off with a major quake. Think Long Beach. But at least wood built structures have less damage as they have a built in release of that energy. But it may only be tempory housing.

Stillwater, with larger buildings and many smaller old businesses is very vulnerable should we get a major shaker, or one of those slip faults which have caused most of the major quakes in socal.

The truth is, in most cities in CA which are older, or especially those in the outlaying areas around cities, there are still many buildings which have been sighted for no use due to structural problems, but they get grandfathered, and there's still houses there from the 30's in some areas. Just because they've lasted so long because nothing shook hard enough and near enough that a smaller quake could easily cause enough damage that they could not be lived in. The majority of damage isn't a pile of smashed wood and stone, but support for the walls and ceiling and so forth along with damaged hidden structure can be damaged but nothing look wrong, but another big shake can finish them off.

One of the things we had looked at with mine before paying was its stability, but while it could be damaged in minor ways, its apparently built to stand up to the usual. No idea how well it can with quakes, but that one which dislocated the front door with its heavy solid wood, but it did not fall.

A lot of the smaller old houses in Long Beach and other smaller beachfront towns in socal were eliminated by code written to make them too expensive to keep so more expensive places can go up, and here and now you hear the first whisper of that in this area. When towns introduce urban improvements its usually at the cost of something old and which will at least have to move.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:

That would take out most of both Cushing and Stillwater, especially if it was located in a sensitive area, and render a lot of places unliveable. A lot of people who have older houses cannot afford to have them rebuilt should mother nature shake out some energy. The two we've had which were very major for 1930's buildings.

I wonder if they are still blinking. Repair of other things where people live and work might have come as a priority, but while there is a legal way to read them most people don't know. But it sounds like a lot more progress has been made, looking at the phone book and list of businesses. The Towers apartments have been mentioned around my street as a family has a grandfather live there, and it is much improved.

I think most of the housing in the Stillwater to Cushing area and lots of the businesses would be bad off with a major quake. Think Long Beach. But at least wood built structures have less damage as they have a built in release of that energy. But it may only be tempory housing.

Stillwater, with larger buildings and many smaller old businesses is very vulnerable should we get a major shaker, or one of those slip faults which have caused most of the major quakes in socal.

The truth is, in most cities in CA which are older, or especially those in the outlaying areas around cities, there are still many buildings which have been sighted for no use due to structural problems, but they get grandfathered, and there's still houses there from the 30's in some areas. Just because they've lasted so long because nothing shook hard enough and near enough that a smaller quake could easily cause enough damage that they could not be lived in. The majority of damage isn't a pile of smashed wood and stone, but support for the walls and ceiling and so forth along with damaged hidden structure can be damaged but nothing look wrong, but another big shake can finish them off.

One of the things we had looked at with mine before paying was its stability, but while it could be damaged in minor ways, its apparently built to stand up to the usual. No idea how well it can with quakes, but that one which dislocated the front door with its heavy solid wood, but it did not fall.

A lot of the smaller old houses in Long Beach and other smaller beachfront towns in socal were eliminated by code written to make them too expensive to keep so more expensive places can go up, and here and now you hear the first whisper of that in this area. When towns introduce urban improvements its usually at the cost of something old and which will at least have to move.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
California doesn't have anything like the Steer Inn I bet.

I worked temporarily at the hospital in Cushing about 20 years ago and I would go to the Steer Inn to eat fairly frequently. The owner would be there often and greet me at my table.

I was living in Norman at the time and much of the time I would leave Cushing and stop in Chandler to eat at the Steer in sometimes and the owner guy got a kick out of the fact that I frequented both locations (I think they closed the Chandler one and opened in Mannford).

Fond memories of the Cushing hospital and the Steer Inn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma