Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 06:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,275,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
And you moved to OK.
If I'd had a kid in school, I wouldn't have. But it is just me and I'm now on social security. The cost of living is extremely important, and this state is very low where there is nothing priced that way especially in socal. And with the way food stamps get gutted by any raises in social security/disability/other programs. Also I was raised in a much more laid back not in a rush California than it is now, and feel quite comfortable in OK in those terms.

If I had kids, or was looking for a job, or couldn't stand to just chill out it would be a very different story. But then back when I was a kid, even in my teens, socal didn't move at superflight speed like everything there does now. I had quietly been making plans to leave the state over that for a few years. A good friend had moved to OK and liked it, so I visited and found out a small house could be BOUGHT for less than your down, the plan changed and I found the right house and as much as I love Califonia, its not the place I grew up in anymore.

Nothing is perfect, but if I went back to California, I'd want to be in the semi rural NORTH, not super speed socal. Maybe up in the mountains where we almost did move back then but the market had crashed and houses were not selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
When the citizens of a state have in the recent past elected and reelected at least one politician, who didn't give a damn about a serious pollution site needing cleaned up, and denied high lead levels should be a concern, as this letter writer brought up, I'd now be hesitant about recommending to any outsider that it's a good idea to move to Oklahoma. The politician referenced to is now on a crusade to nix teacher pay raises. I'm not going to sign his petition, since 3 cents more gas on tax won't bankrupt me and don't want to see another epic struggle at the state capitol start all over again, which took many years, over getting teacher pay raised.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Coburn

Believe me, Republican legislators, who passed a bill that stopped all Oklahoma cities from banning fracking, sure didn't do it for your health. After all, Oklahoma is ranked in the 40's for about anything related to health.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
We chose to leave Oklahoma specifically because of the schools. We lived in Midtown Tulsa and the kids went to Edison, which is one of the better schools in the state. We left because we were dissatisfied with the education and support that could be provided by TPS with their current funding. I know that TPS wants to do better and even their superintendent teaches classes to help out.

Oklahoma state government pays the teachers, not the property owners. Property owners pay for the school buildings, facilities and school management. Thus, passing all the bonds in the world will NEVER fix the problem with Oklahoma schools. Teachers are leaving because there is no hope and no value in the position as it is currently set up. Who would ever go into $24,849 in debt (avg debt for a 4 year Oklahoma degree) for a job that pays 32k to 45k for your entire career as a teacher?!? Passing bonds just guarantees fancy gyms, foo'ball palaces and athletic coaches making 2 to 3 times more than their coworkers.

Yes, if you have young children, you should leave and leave immediately. The only other alternative is to vote out legislators but most of the legislators that are refusing to pay up are in rural areas. The schools there are even worse.

This isn't a Republican or Democrat issue. The state runs the education system and requires people to take on large debts to work in the system. It pays those employees below the cost of living and caps their earnings at an artificially low level far below the national market rate. Does this sound fair at all? Does this sound like a system that can provide a sufficient service to its customers?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ate/100893668/
So now the state would like to be made less responsible for paying teachers more. The state legislature passed to hold a vote, SQ801, that would allow school districts to use property taxes to pay for school operations. This could include teacher pay. Currently, property taxes are only allowed to pay bonds for new school buildings.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:49 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As long as you are white, conservative, Republican, heterosexual, and are the right kind of Christian (Baptist) then Oklahoma isn't too bad.

You know that Oklahoma has the largest percentage of Native Americans than any other state. As well as a large black and hispanic population especially in OKC and Tulsa. 35% of Oklahomans are not white. And I am not conservative, republican nor religious and I think its fine. People think the demographics here are the same as rural Utah and that just is not true at all just because its a red state. I am not religious and have never been bothered by anyone about it. And if you are not the right kind of Christian what is the problem? There are a variety of churches here all the various ones seem to get along fine. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

To get back to the OP. Any state is difficult now for people without a college education or a trade skill. Oklahoma is no different. But a couple working minimum wage both full time can get by in Oklahoma better than a similar family working minimum wage in California. Same can be said for many of the states surrounding Oklahoma.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:40 PM

16 posts, read 19,263 times
Hi there-- California checking in.

I've lived in California for 6 years, after living in Georgia for 4 for college and growing up in New Hampshire. I just happened to meet a man who lives in Oklahoma and i'm considering moving to Oklahoma City. So far it seems like a good deal to me!

Los Angeles stresses me out. I feel anxious all the time (actually got on medication to cope) and the costs of everything is just outrageous. I can work as a freelancer for the same industry i'm leaving behind in LA, but have more time to work in other industries, too. (Animation and Illustration being the big ones.)

I do worry about the lack of diversity and the right-leaning tendency of the state... but again, i grew up in NH, a swing state, and for the most part people just minded their business and everyone got along fine.

I'm spending the month of June in Shawnee (where my boyfriend lives) and getting a feel for it. I love the seasons, i miss the heat and the cold from my childhood, and everyone is just super nice here.

I haven't decided for sure, but there's a lot of appeal for me in a smaller city like OKC.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 PM

I'd go for it to give it a try. Just be sure to have a decent paying job. Many Republicans in Oklahoma don't think the government should provide aid for poor people. They have been trying to make it more restrictive for poor families to get on Medicaid.

Oklahoma City isn't as bright red as much of Oklahoma. Some of its diversity can be found in the Asian District. It has a huge supermarket, if you're into Asian food.

The slower paced lifestyle of Oklahoma should be good for your stress.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-11-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM

641 posts, read 1,074,172 times
Tulsa is a more dense urban area, neat old neighborhoods, more greener/taller trees. Just a prettier city in OK which has most of what OKC has, minus the pro basketball.

I like OKC fine, it just seems a little less charming.

But don't let me steer you away from OKC if that's got your interest. It is a nice city with all that you probably will need, and less stress than LA.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Tulsa is a more dense urban area, neat old neighborhoods, more greener/taller trees. Just a prettier city in OK which has most of what OKC has, minus the pro basketball.

I like OKC fine, it just seems a little less charming.
I agree and have heard that Tulsa is more hip than OKC. Also Tulsa has a little less violent weather from tornadoes and big hail.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM

16 posts, read 19,263 times
I'll definitely look into Tulsa, thanks for the recommendation! It may be too far from my partner. He lives in shawnee with his son and to move would put him in a custody battle, which is another part of why i'm considering OK instead of him considering CA. I'll definitely visit Tulsa while i'm out here to get a sense of it though.

As for work, i'm a freelance artist. I've been working in big studios in Los Angeles for 6 years and have a pretty solid network of people who can help me find big-studio freelance work. Any slow periods can be filled by freelance editorial illustration. I've always wanted to try freelancing, but in LA it would be such an intense grind to be able to afford the cost of living. It feels much more doable out here.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Excited to see more of this beautiful state.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 PM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzadraws View Post
I'll definitely look into Tulsa, thanks for the recommendation! It may be too far from my partner. He lives in shawnee with his son and to move would put him in a custody battle, which is another part of why i'm considering OK instead of him considering CA. I'll definitely visit Tulsa while i'm out here to get a sense of it though.

As for work, i'm a freelance artist. I've been working in big studios in Los Angeles for 6 years and have a pretty solid network of people who can help me find big-studio freelance work. Any slow periods can be filled by freelance editorial illustration. I've always wanted to try freelancing, but in LA it would be such an intense grind to be able to afford the cost of living. It feels much more doable out here.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Excited to see more of this beautiful state.

I agree with some of the others that I like Tulsa more than OKC. But OKC is fine. As a native Californian who spends about half my time in Oklahoma, you might just like it here. People are the nicest I have met anywhere and it is very green. As you know the cost of living is very low. For me its a relaxed laid back attitude that I like. If you come here and are worried about what kind of government handouts are available you might not like it but if you have ambition you will do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma