Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I thought those of you in Southern OK didn't even know what snow was, heck...we barely get any so you guys get like none.
Almost none... (from 2006)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/cold%20winter%20weather/PB300062.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/cold%20winter%20weather/PB300060a.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It is nice. You should see the pix of the inside, if you haven't looked at it yet. It was originally priced higher to include all the furnishings, but they weren't my style at all. Too frou-frou.

A train runs through the area where I live, though not so close right here. It was a lot closer at our previous place. The trains aren't that bad, what was really annoying was when the burg just north of us decided to improve their harbor. They had a pile driver going around the clock. Thumpathumpathumpa....

And good curly fries cover a multitude of sins, expecially when they are across the street.
How did "expecially" get past your spell-checker????
I think I'm your friend enough to get away with that...
(Yeah, I know... It was on purpose!)
If not, I apologize.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Almost none... (from 2006)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/cold%20winter%20weather/PB300062.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/cold%20winter%20weather/PB300060a.jpg (broken link)
Exactly, I can see grass stems, what is that...2 inches? And if I'm not mistaken that was likely November 30th,2006 when we had 6+ inches

Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
How did "expecially" get past your spell-checker????
I think I'm your friend enough to get away with that...
(Yeah, I know... It was on purpose!)
If not, I apologize.
Nah, it didn't get through, I just don't use one. It was a typo. See now, if I could use WordPerfect, it has a built-in spell checker, but since it won't cooperate, things just get through. Once in awhile I catch a typo after I've made the post, then I edit it, but I don't obsess about it.

But - would you believe "Extravagantly + Special?"

Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
I never use spell check on CDF. Kari, here is the house right next door to yours. As you can see, you are just one house away from.. the TRAIN TRACKS!!!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_0785.jpg (broken link)

And yes, they do blast their horn all the way into Hooterville. So, you and your bird can scream all you want, it won't phase the neighbors... cuz there ain't any!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I never use spell check on CDF. Kari, here is the house right next door to yours. As you can see, you are just one house away from.. the TRAIN TRACKS!!!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_0785.jpg (broken link)

And yes, they do blast their horn all the way into Hooterville. So, you and your bird can scream all you want, it won't phase the neighbors... cuz there ain't any!
Hmm. I wonder if that's why the price keeps creeping down. Seriously, it looks like a prime place for someone who is profoundly deaf. They don't hear, maybe just feel the vibrations in the ground. One of the few advantages of being hearing impaired, lots of housing that is considered 'undesirable' otherwise.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:59 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
You want my input? The house is 10K to 15K overpriced to start with because no one in town is going to pay that much in a neighborhood filled with $18K to $28K houses.

Second, I bet they would take 23K to 25K in a heartbeat because they are located within a stone's throw of the railroad tracks.

IMO, judging by the furniture, they are probably just poor folks like us, who are listening to the realtor's telling them to "ask this price if you actually want this price." That is my cynical outlook on life.

And lastly, there are at least 40 houses for sale in Holdenville, and none of them are moving. The ones that move are the ones in the country with a few acreages attached. Those move very quickly here.

We met an italian from Florida who now lives in Holdenville. He bought a 3 story house for a fraction of what it would've costed in Florida. And he is happy as a lark.

The out of staters are more than willing to pay inflated prices here because relatively speaking, the houses are dirt cheap compared to where they come from. Where else can you buy a nice house for 25K?

So, if you ever do get serious about a house, where ever it may be, Kari, lowball the heck out of them. Remember, they will most likely take 25K for that house in a heartbeat rather than let it sit for another two or three years.

And don't hesitate to ask us locals to take a few pics of the neighborhood where the house is located. To me, that is just as important as the house itself.

Here are your neighbors.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_0776.jpg (broken link)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_0771.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
You want my input? The house is 10K to 15K overpriced to start with because no one in town is going to pay that much in a neighborhood filled with $18K to $28K houses.

Second, I bet they would take 23K to 25K in a heartbeat because they are located within a stone's throw of the railroad tracks.
It started at 38K+, including all the furniture. The day I finally decided to call, they'd relisted it for 35K, without the furniture.The furniture was the reason I hesitated so long - it's not at all to my taste. Then the agent I talked to said Yes, she didn't think the neighbors would complain about a few chickens. Right, no one would complain if there weren't any neighbors in the first place! I still like the overall look of the place, but I certainly wouldn't sign anything before I had a chance to listen for myself just how obnoxious the trains could be. With a lot of noise, it wouldn't do any good to have no complaints about chickens, they wouldn't lay, anyway.

Quote:
IMO, judging by the furniture, they are probably just poor folks like us, who are listening to the realtor's telling them to "ask this price if you actually want this price." That is my cynical outlook on life.
All the prices are unreal from my perspective. A place like that here, even so close to the tracks, you could ask for - and get - 150K for. There was a place here, a singlewide on about a half acre close to the tracks and the intersection the tracks crossed. The trains have to whistle a warning at every road crossing, so it was a seriously noisy location. The guy asked for and got about 95K for it, and that was before prices really started rising.

Quote:
And lastly, there are at least 40 houses for sale in Holdenville, and none of them are moving. The ones that move are the ones in the country with a few acreages attached. Those move very quickly here.
They must. I haven't seen much of anything like that on any of the websites, just the cheapest ones. One I looked at briefly did have a decent sized yard, but it was supposedly remodelled and was still listed as strictly an 'as is' sale. Made me wonder just what still needed attention, and how much it would cost. And it was definitely old enough to have lead-based paint problems.

Quote:
We met an italian from Florida who now lives in Holdenville. He bought a 3 story house for a fraction of what it would've costed in Florida. And he is happy as a lark.

The out of staters are more than willing to pay inflated prices here because relatively speaking, the houses are dirt cheap compared to where they come from. Where else can you buy a nice house for 25K?
You can't, unless you go to rural Arkansas or the really depressed areas of Michigan. And who in their right mind would choose that?

Quote:
So, if you ever do get serious about a house, where ever it may be, Kari, lowball the heck out of them. Remember, they will most likely take 25K for that house in a heartbeat rather than let it sit for another two or three years.

And don't hesitate to ask us locals to take a few pics of the neighborhood where the house is located. To me, that is just as important as the house itself.
Absolutely. That's one of the reasons I liked the place in Atwood, judging by what the rest of the town looked like, I thought just about all of them would have been more than happy to help clean the yard and repair some of the fencing. I told the agent I'd meet his asking price if he'd arrange to have the dead freezer in the kitchen and the junk in the barn hauled away. He said no, what you see is what you get. What was visible was a godawful pigsty, but cleanable and liveable after a lot of scrubbing. He was real quick at first to tell me how easy it would be to find handymen, etc, there, but apparently it wasn't easy for him to do the same.

I've found another agent [fingers XXX'd] in Lawton who actually seems interested in helping me find something. At least she remembers who I am and what I'm looking for. Lawton wasn't on my list, it's really too big, but I'm getting to the point where I'll take whatever I can get if it meets enough of my criteria.

Quote:
Here are your neighbors.
If those are empty, I wonder how much it would cost to buy them also and tear them down, and turn the whole thing into a pasture.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
I finally found it. For the original price that is a nice place. It looks like it has been well maintained through the years. The main downside is the RR tracks. I would also think about drainage/street flooding potential but I can't remember a problem in that area before. The basic neighborhood is OK, in my opinion. Echo street has some dumps on it.

At the reduced price, does that mean the refrigerator, a/cs, washer and dryer don't stay?

That shop building would be very nice to have, and it has a cement floor and half bath. Very good.

You will be able to walk (8 blocks or so) to a grocery store that is small but nice, & hardware store, for your basic needs. Of course, some people just go around town on their electric wheelchairs or riding lawnmowers too. You will be very close to another restaurant (June's) so you won't starve. Holdenville is pretty laid back, so I don't think anyone will object to a few chickens.

Looks good. Hope you get it!

The place was probably worth more before the new zoning laws went in. Before, you could open a business anywhere, do whatever you wanted, so the shop building was a potential business. Now, no, since there is no business there at the present time. Also, I don't think mobile homes are going to be allowed anymore, but I have just heard a rumor about that.

Last edited by peggydavis; 02-15-2008 at 04:21 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I finally found it. For the original price that is a nice place. It looks like it has been well maintained through the years. The main downside is the RR tracks. I would also think about drainage/street flooding potential but I can't remember a problem in that area before. The basic neighborhood is OK, in my opinion. Echo street has some dumps on it.

At the reduced price, does that mean the refrigerator, a/cs, washer and dryer don't stay?
All the appliances stay, including, if I remember right, the microwave.

Quote:
That shop building would be very nice to have, and it has a cement floor and half bath. Very good.
I do like that. There's a 50/50 chance my daughter would be coming in a year or so, and she would think she'd gone to heaven. She does custom woodwork, but it's been such a PITA to do it in NYC, she's put that part of her life on hold until she can find a shop elsewhere. Even if she doesn't come, I could fill it myself.

Quote:
You will be able to walk (8 blocks or so) to a grocery store that is small but nice, & hardware store, for your basic needs. Of course, some people just go around town on their electric wheelchairs or riding lawnmowers too. You will be very close to another restaurant (June's) so you won't starve. Holdenville is pretty laid back, so I don't think anyone will object to a few chickens.
Somehow I can't quite see myself on a riding mower. More likely one of those 3 wheel bikes with a cargo basket. But I like the idea of having places to eat out nearby - I'm not really a 'eat out a lot' kind of person, but for the last 8 years, 'eating out' has been having a pizza delivered or buying from the deli in the grocery store and taking it home. That's only a half-measure, while I don't have to cook it, I still have to do the clean up.

Quote:
Looks good. Hope you get it!

The place was probably worth more before the new zoning laws went in. Before, you could open a business anywhere, do whatever you wanted, so the shop building was a potential business. Now, no, since there is no business there at the present time. Also, I don't think mobile homes are going to be allowed anymore, but I have just heard a rumor about that.
Supposedly, it's zoned commercial. But I can't quite see opening a business of any kind, other than [very remote possibility] a thrift/consignment shop. Business isn't my thing, I'm not fascinated by keeping records and paying taxes and that kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma