Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,623,236 times

Advertisements

That's kind of cool that the place is in a town, although a tiny town, but still has room to keep a horse and some other animals too.

Now I'm so curious, but I don't want to leave my animals alone when I am worried about this red flag warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I found the place in Atwood - which I do know is a very small place - because I did still another search for 'homes with acreage' within what I can afford.
Redbird, I found this one on the link you attached, it's one of the ones I've been using all along.
And the weekend is fine, when I talked to the realtor I told him that if I found someone to take some pictures, it would probably be a week or so. I told him I knew of a few people in Hughes county, and he got all perked up and asked me who! I shouldn't have said that, it was kind of weird trying to tell him I that while I 'knew' people, I didn't know their actual names.

I seem to have dumped all my excess pics, including the ones of Atwood, except one, which I will post here. BTW, we have a friend who came from out of state and bought a house just on the edge of Atwood for $18K. SHe is single and not afraid to live in the country.

Her house is really old, but she loves it to death. I may have posted this pic on a thread sometime ago, but it is one of the nicer ones right in Atwood. They must have horses.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/atwood.jpg (broken link)

P.S. That lady who lives in Atwood said there is a lot of wild hog activity. So if you may have to watch your garden pretty close. She has a vicious outside dog and he keeps her pretty safe!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Doesn't look like a bad place Karibear. It probably needs some fixup on the inside and a coat of paint on the outside, but the price doesn't seem too high for this area. The houses in town are priced lower, but anything with some acres seems to go for more these days. Looks like it has been on the market for some time.

DM me the address and the realtor's name, and I will try to go down there too. Two opinions are better than one, so if Redbird can look too, that will be better, right? On the way back, I will go through Gerty. I've been wanting to go down there for a while.
Yes! Please check out "my Gerty" and take pictures please!!!! I would love to see some updated pix of the area; not that anything has changed since I was there in March, LOL..

Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times
Atwood is a fine area. Growing up hardly ten miles from there there were plenty of kids in my school that were from Atwood. It's small, but easily accessible and you are pretty much middle way between Ada and McAlester on highway 1. Holdenville is close by for shopping, and you are in some very fertile farmland there; the South Canadian river is close by.

I'd live in Atwood in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity. For now, I'm stuck in the big city. I LOVE the country and want to move back so bad!

Last edited by Synopsis; 01-29-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-29-2008, 05:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Also, I think Welch United is one of the better established realtors, but certainly not the only one for this area. There are at least two others that we know of, but I can't make my brain work right now.

Just too tired and feeble, I guess.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I seem to have dumped all my excess pics, including the ones of Atwood, except one, which I will post here. BTW, we have a friend who came from out of state and bought a house just on the edge of Atwood for $18K. SHe is single and not afraid to live in the country.

Her house is really old, but she loves it to death. I may have posted this pic on a thread sometime ago, but it is one of the nicer ones right in Atwood. They must have horses.

P.S. That lady who lives in Atwood said there is a lot of wild hog activity. So if you may have to watch your garden pretty close. She has a vicious outside dog and he keeps her pretty safe!
I like the trees! The place I'm looking at is older, too, it was built in 1950. But I'm older than it is, so we'll probably get along fine.

I'll have to think about what the new dog will be. The yard part is fenced with regular farm fence, the pasture with barbed wire. Neither will stop a hog, but the wire might slow it down enough to give me time to grab a rifle. Or maybe a box of firecrackers. The chickens and garden [small] will be inside the wire fence I think, until I see how it goes. And I want to get a second dog as a friend for mine to play with, she'll be totally thrilled having a yard to run around in, and having someone to play with will make it even better.

I can't think of anything about living in the country that scares me, though I certainly don't do stupid things around bears, cougars, or hogs. I'm a lot more worried about my dog, she's never met a stranger - she thinks anyone she doesn't already know is someone new who's come to play with her. I worry about her finding a rattler and thinking it's a neat new toy. She's never in her life been seriously hurt, and I'd hate to have something like that happen at her age now.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,831,104 times
You know... I am stomping my foot and having a FIT that you won't be taking the place down MY way!!

But I understand... I know what a problem that bonehead RE Agent was to you, and the area you are looking at now is prettier. (I'm surprised anyone would think he's qualified to sell rural properties!!)

You'll just have to hook up with Peggy or Colleen and come down to visit! I'll still buy you a Burger.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:19 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
You know... I am stomping my foot and having a FIT that you won't be taking the place down MY way!!

But I understand... I know what a problem that bonehead RE Agent was to you, and the area you are looking at now is prettier. (I'm surprised anyone would think he's qualified to sell rural properties!!)

You'll just have to hook up with Peggy or Colleen and come down to visit! I'll still buy you a Burger.
I liked that place a lot, too. But he just got to be too much. "Bonehead" is putting it nicely, my daughter had a much more descriptive name for him. If anyone is interested in some of the trials and tribulations of buying cross country, some of the story is on the Real Estate Professionals forum. It's interesting, they've gone from telling me I'm a dodo, to slamming him. Makes me feel somewhat better [and justified] about the whole mess. It still boggles me that he seemed so uninterested in keeping or losing his commission.

And I'll be more than happy to eat it!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,831,104 times
heh... Just read your other thread... Actually the Oil well was in the back yard, the Highway (that he said was a mile away) is in the front yard.

And I simply can NOT imagine that the septic on that place wouldn't need pumping after having renters in it for an extended time! Oh... did I ever mention the dead fish carcasses, and cow patties in the front yard? We had a few giggles wondering when the last 'great flood' in that area had been. (yes I have pics of those too)

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post

we definitely have to have a "girls" day out when everyone's settled. I like the idea of the giant garage sale day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma