Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times

Advertisements

what is your take on having the 10 commandments on public land at the OK state capitol? To me this seems completely contradictory to the US constitution of freedom of religion and seperation of church and state. To make matters worse, the lawmakers are trying to ban other sorts of religious groups from having a monument. See Group unveils plans for Satan statue next to 10 Commandments monument at Okla. Capitol | Fox News I think the whole thing is messed up- is this kind of mentality normal for Oklahoma or is this an outlier? How could lawmakers possibly justify having one religous monument but not another on public land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
It is the stupidest, biggest waste of money that our worthless legislators thrust upon us. It is misspelled in two places so I don't consider it even it a proper monument to Judeo-Christian values. Inbred redneck values, possibly.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM

122 posts, read 217,239 times
For it!!!!! I'm a Christian. If others want to put up a monument, I have no problem with that either. Don't take mine down. This is the religion that this country was based on. It's our heritage.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
It is the stupidest, biggest waste of money that our worthless legislators thrust upon us. It is misspelled in two places so I don't consider it even it a proper monument to Judeo-Christian values. Inbred redneck values, possibly.
Surely, it's been corrected by now. They probably believe the government can't be trusted to do anything right except to promote Christianity, but they were proven wrong.

I think the reasoning goes that since Texas is allowed to have a Ten Commandments monument at its State Capitol while keeping other monuments out that it does not want, then Oklahoma should be allowed to do the same thing as well. Who knows how much of our tax dollars will have to be spent in the effort to make it be allowed and it may fail and accomplish nothing other than being forced to have the Ten Commandments removed.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
For it!!!!! I'm a Christian. If others want to put up a monument, I have no problem with that either. Don't take mine down. This is the religion that this country was based on. It's our heritage.
If Oklahoma is such a highly Christian state, it would look inappropriate for the Satanists to be allowed to put up their brazenly bizarre statue on state property. Let them put something up on their own property. Same with the Ten Commandments. Since the Ten Commandments are so Godly, I don't know why only so very few churches put them up on their lawns or somewhere inside.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adner View Post
This country was based on the freedom of religion.

Incidentally, as Christians (self-proclaimed and otherwise) around here are so proud of this fact, let me share something with you. I have lived in many places around the world. I have NEVER encountered as many people as I have here in the bible belt who go to church twice a week but are stealing, lying, drug dealing crooks who sit in judgement of others.

That is all.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
This country was based on the freedom of religion.

Incidentally, as Christians (self-proclaimed and otherwise) around here are so proud of this fact, let me share something with you. I have lived in many places around the world. I have NEVER encountered as many people as I have here in the bible belt who go to church twice a week but are stealing, lying, drug dealing crooks who sit in judgement of others.

That is all.
In Oklahoma, the purpose of going to church is to socialize, joke around and sing some. It's not how to learn to develop enough character and integrity to enable people to obey the Ten Commandments.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 01-26-2014 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 03:15 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
whatever happened to just common sense decency, good parenting and the ability to empathize and see how your actions hurt and affect others? You don't need religion for morality- that is a great myth that religions use. There is zero evidence that non-religious people are anymore likely to end up in prisons.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM

60 posts, read 105,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In Oklahoma, the purpose of going to church is to socialize, joke around and sing some. It's not how to learn to develop enough character and integrity to enable people to obey the Ten Commandments.
I agree. As a moderate Christian who moved here from the east coast, I have found it difficult to relate to typical Oklahoman Christianity that is really more about Republican politics and controlling others than about following the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:41 PM

374 posts, read 807,206 times
It's a great display of our hard core Christian state. I think it shows outsiders how strong our faith is.

Plus, it really bothers the few liberals we have. That's always a bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: