Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 10:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Everyone has a personal agenda.
Amen to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,318,081 times
It's interesting that the real oh xxxx moment was when someone realized if he hadn't smashed the commandments, he could have just as easily driven right into the building. The equiptment to help was sitting on the lawn due to lazy mowers. Now they're talking more about security than bible stuff.

Maybe now that its real purpose was accomplished, and its gone, we can leave the grounds sans reminders of religious intolerance. If they must, have something which has a symbol for EVERY faith including the ones we don't like and for those who don't believe to show any of them are acceptable. Maybe they can take the 'repair' to a church where it belongs.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:20 PM

5,549 posts, read 9,537,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Yes, politicians have personal agendas. So do members of discussion forums.
Heeeeee!

Yes Ma'am, and my agenda at this moment is a little Jack & Coke. C'mon.

EDIT:
The devil made me do it, but I don't want his ugly mug at the State Capitol.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Heeeeee!

Yes Ma'am, and my agenda at this moment is a little Jack & Coke. C'mon.

EDIT:
The devil made me do it, but I don't want his ugly mug at the State Capitol.
I don't either and if his so-called image appeared I would be all for vandalism. Betcha a democrat would be the perp. I say it freely cause I'm registered as one, but I've never ever stamped the rooster.

A bit of rum and coca cola is more up my alley.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
The monument ought to be replaced by monument to the Bill or Rights. Oklahoma legislators need such a monument to remind them they have been passing too many unconstitutional bills. I wouldn't donate to fund a new Ten Commandments monument, but I would for a monument with the Bill or Rights engraved on it. The Bill of Rights is far more significant to our country's founding and history than the Ten Commandments.

Let the churches worry, or not, whether it's appropriate to position a Ten Commandments monument on their property for public viewing.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The monument ought to be replaced by monument to the Bill or Rights. Oklahoma legislators need such a monument to remind them they have been passing too many unconstitutional bills. I wouldn't donate to fund a new Ten Commandments monument, but I would for a monument with the Bill or Rights engraved on it. The Bill of Rights is far more significant to our country's founding and history than the Ten Commandments.

Let the churches worry, or not, whether it's appropriate to position a Ten Commandments monument on their property for public viewing.
Engraving those rights on a cross would be ideal... just for a touch of confusion.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:07 PM

610 posts, read 701,590 times
The argument for this is that this was founded as a Christian country, and that MOST modern, Western legal codes are loosely based on the Ten Commandments.

This is wrong. The western legal code is largely based on a Lockean theory of property rights.

It should also be noted that almost none of the founders were religious.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:35 PM

Maybe the legislators will take heed and study up on ole John Locke's theories and get everything on the right track.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,318,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

Yes, this is what needs to be there. Let private money fix the black chunks of rock and put it up again, but at a *church* not the state capital. Religion shouldn't be sitting on the state captial lawn. And if it is an if you don't want a stanic monument next to it, then boot out both. Freedom to choose your own religion means that there is under law no one RIGHT faith. Maybe a plack with a symbol of every religion including a space for the athiests. All equal and right under the law, which is what the state capital represents.

I think the state ought to be giving heavy thought about what it says about their lax security and how to fix that since if the truck hadn't smashed into the monument it might well have smashed into a wall of the a building. With tracks to drive on provided by the mowing people....

That is the state's business. Don't put another attractact sitting on the lawn either.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:17 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,584,321 times
"In Bob Stoops We Trust " would be more ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: