Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You called me a ( Fun Duh Ment Da Less ) I'm no such thing I'm a African American Christian.

1. Bible believer don't live in the Dark Ages They were the first ones to " know that the Earth was Round ".

2. The POPE doesn't run anything but BATH WATER , and Christianity Is Not A White Caucasian Religion running amuck thur Europe Corrupting Anything ....it's a Middle Eastern Asian Caucasian Religion " thank you very much "
sea monsters, zombies, mythic themes, demons,
Armageddon-- I think you guys are capable of something less trite.
Please give me a break , and for your info both you and I know where the Bible forbid SSM....You Can Fool The Fools But Both You And I
Know The Truth...

Same Sex Marriage is a Tempest In A Tea Cup , and it's already settled anyways " real MEN who are Homosexuals aren't in opposition to my believes because it doesn't suppress the GLBT community in the least bit ... -The California Homosexual Community supported SSM because it made them feel just like Heterosexual Married couples didn't have nothing to do with Equal Rights * Which
Domestic Partnerships Gave Them :::::.
You can label yourself whatever you want, but it doesn't change matters. You can call a nuclear missile "Death From Above" or "Cookie Flower" and it still causes just as much destruction. Christians also executed people for witchcraft, committed war atrocities during the Crusades and justified slavery, all in the name of God. What's your point? Mine was that you guys hold onto an ancient belief system that doesn't reflect modern society. I believe your declining church attendance and rapid growth of atheism and agnosticism prove that. And a lot of modern Christianity is shaped on decisions the Vatican made centuries ago.

I also really don't know where in the Bible it mentions same sex marriage... which I've asked you to present and you've failed to do. So let's cut to the chase: it doesn't say anything about it. Religious leaders have you convinced it's in there, and in true Christian fashion you don't question it. There are a lot of GLBT people in opposition to your beliefs, because they do suppress the community. I'll bet you can't give a rational reason as to why same sex marriage shouldn't be allowed. By rational, I mean you can't use the Bible. While you're at it, why don't you explain to me why incestuous marriages are permitted in more states than same sex marriages are.

Is it wrong for GLBT people to want to feel like everyone else? By your rationale, the country should bring back the 3/5 Compromise and Jim Crow laws. You could still be counted as a person, just not a full one, and you could still ride the bus, use a public bathroom or go to school, just not with whites. As an "African American Christian" would you support that? Or do you prefer the notion that you have the same rights as everyone else?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Getting back on topic, I'm happy to report that only 35 percent of Oklahomans favor same-sex "marriage".

States That Might Get Gay Marriage Next (or Never) ? Polled, Mapped & Ranked - Philip Bump - The Atlantic Wire

It seems that most Oklahomans still have their heads screwed on straight. Very encouraging. You guys had me spooked for a while.
Ooh... and here's more to that story: projections.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...it-means/?_r=0

Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times
There is not one single reason whatsoever to be disgusted by homosexuality or to oppose same sex marriage that isn't based in fear hate, bigotry, ignorance, or some combination of those things.

Not one single reason.

To preclude a consensual adult couple from marrying based solely on their gender is the very definition of bigotry and discrimination.

I applaud the C&A and congratulate the happy couple.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Quote:
What matters is what my neighbors believe and what my government imposes.

Kansas is indeed an option. But Fred Phelps is no more representative of Kansas than Yahweh ben Yahweh is representative of Oklahoma. You owe Kansas an apology.
Your opinion does not matter. Neither do your neighbor's opinions. This is not a state law. Native American tribes are sovereign nations. They got married. Get over it.

If you want to debate christianity/homosexuality, then go to the religious forum and start your own thread.

I don't owe KS an apology, I lived in KS and folks like you are just a goose-step behind Fred Phelps and his ilk. I stand by my opinion that you would fit in with Fred Phelps.

You have already voiced your opinion, thank you for sharing. It's nothing we have not heard before.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:17 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,533,523 times
Quote:
California took in over 70,000 desperate Okies in the 1930s. Now that it's our turn as refugees, you want to tax us? I think you owe us a favor.
Off topic.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Getting back on topic, I'm happy to report that only 35 percent of Oklahomans favor same-sex "marriage".

States That Might Get Gay Marriage Next (or Never) ? Polled, Mapped & Ranked - Philip Bump - The Atlantic Wire

It seems that most Oklahomans still have their heads screwed on straight. Very encouraging. You guys had me spooked for a while.
But Oklahoma has a long tradition of making oppressive laws and later deciding they needed repealed. But sometimes Oklahomans were too stubborn and conservative to repeal some of them. The U. S. Supreme Court then had to step in and repeal such laws for them.

I bet plenty of people during a much earlier time thought Oklahoma had its head screwed on straight when the first law it passed as a new state was the requirement to segregate blacks and whites when in public areas.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Your opinion does not matter. Neither do your neighbor's opinions. This is not a state law. Native American tribes are sovereign nations. They got married. Get over it.
Unless Oklahoma's Indian tribes live in self-contained bubbles and never mingle with their neighbors, what they believe, say, and do has an effect on all Oklahomans. All residents of your state should be very concerned.

Besides, "sovereignty" is never absolute for any nation. Just ask Americans who live in border states. How's that U.S. sovereignty working out for them?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But Oklahoma has a long tradition of making oppressive laws and later deciding they needed repealed.
C'mon, so does every state.

The good news is that Oklahoma hasn't yet enacted an oppressive law forcing its citizens to recognize and grant privileges to a dangerous fiction. And judging by the numbers, it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Ooh... and here's more to that story: projections.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...it-means/?_r=0
Thanks for posting that.

Fourteen states........and counting.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
And I am happy to report that my state passed marriage equality by popular vote last November.

It's just a matter of time...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma