Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times

Advertisements

Computer Guy, there are no mountains near Guthrie. We have some big hills in OK, that is all, and those hills are more in SE and NE Oklahoma.

I was looking at some pictures of the White Mountains and they are beautiful, like the mountains in Colorado. I don't know if I could leave that scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:34 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Well, gosh...this thread sure has boomed in the last 12 hours! Another consideration may be Shawnee. It's a half hour from the OKC metro and is a bit hillier and treed as well. Population near 30k if I remember right. So you will have more real estate options there as well. Another consideration may be Ardmore. It's 1 hour from the north DFW suburbs and 1 hour from south OKC. The bugs and heat are more extreme down there though.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Computer Guy, there are no mountains near Guthrie. We have some big hills in OK, that is all, and those hills are more in SE and NE Oklahoma.
Well it looks pretty mountainous compared to many pictures I've seen of OK.
Like this one on the City-Data Guthrie page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I was looking at some pictures of the White Mountains and they are beautiful, like the mountains in Colorado. I don't know if I could leave that scenery.
Yes, the scenery here can be absolutely awe inspiring and our mountains are top notch. But this is a rural / tourist area, and there's not much of a future for the kids here... At least not without moving far away from us.

I'll be posting a few pics from here this weekend.

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
ComputerGuy,

I just don't want that stuff in my house. I have dogs, and I have my husband and myself, and poison is bad enough in the yard, attic, and under the house. Next time I find jumping spiders in my house, I will not take them outside since they eat brown recluse, sometimes.

A_G, You certainly are a fun asset to this website. But now, Tahlequah is not flat compared to Guthrie, Muskogee, etc, and we have the Sparrow Hawk Mountains just a few minutes east. We are in a valley, so they say, which means it is almost too flat to notice the valley.

So you bring me a Tahlequah that I have never seen. I often think of the drugs as being in Stillwell, just east of here. I haven't been to Lee Street. I must find it on a map and go there. Then I can come back and tell ComputerGuy that I am still alive.

ComputerGuy, Peggs isn't really a town, unless I missed something. What town I really like, although very, very small is Locust Grove, just past Peggs. And I loved the city of Guthrie. It has a historical downtown that is really beautiful. Grove is really nice too, but mainly because of the lake and the antiques stores. If you go to Guthrie you will want to check out Stillwater. Someday I hope to do so.

A_G, I guess this Indian/Cowboy thing didn't get into the papers. I never heard about it. Well, like you said, it didn't go anywhere. So you didn't like the Mose's trip in the school books? LOL. Can't you choose your own books? But if they are in the homeschool books, aren't they in the high school text books? If not, why can't you just use the high school or even grammar school text books?

ComputerGuy: When I was shopping in Guthrie I was told by the shop keeper that the tornadoes run right through Guthrie from north to south. But, I was also told that everyone has a tornado shelter, which by the way, is something that Tahlequah residents all don't have. But they cost $2,000, and I don't think that included digging a hole and other installation costs. Tornadoes also hit north of Tahlequah and probably right through A_G's questonable town of Peggs. LOL. Anywhere it is truly flat toranadoes like.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Well, gosh...this thread sure has boomed in the last 12 hours!
That's because of all the friendly, sharing folk here and the fact that I try to reply to anyone who takes the time to respond to me.
Also had a relatively light workday today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Another consideration may be Shawnee. It's a half hour from the OKC metro and is a bit hillier and treed as well. Population near 30k if I remember right. So you will have more real estate options there as well. Another consideration may be Ardmore. It's 1 hour from the north DFW suburbs and 1 hour from south OKC. The bugs and heat are more extreme down there though.
Thanks for the tip, we'll add it to the list!

My wife the real estate surfer is sure gonna be busy this weekend checking out the R.E. markets in all these suggested places.
I do the statistical surfing and information gathering.

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
ComputerGuy, I just don't want that stuff in my house. I have dogs, and I have my husband and myself, and poison is bad enough in the yard, attic, and under the house. Next time I find jumping spiders in my house, I will not take them outside since they eat brown recluse, sometimes.
I hear you Jessaka... I really don't care for pesticides and never used them in-doors... Yet.
Not so sure I want to sleep with jumping spiders either.

We have some HUGE spiders here. They're called Grey Marbled Spiders, but the locals call them Barn Spiders. They have butts bigger than marbles, but they're usually too big to get in the house, and they tend to stay on their webs, so they don't bother me. They're actually fascinating to watch... On the OUTSIDE of our picture window.

Quote:
So you bring me a Tahlequah that I have never seen. I often think of the drugs as being in Stillwell, just east of here. I haven't been to Lee Street. I must find it on a map and go there. Then I can come back and tell ComputerGuy that I am still alive.
I'm sure you both travel in different circles.
And while I admire your attitude, I certainly don't want anyone to risk getting hurt on my account.

Quote:
ComputerGuy, Peggs isn't really a town, unless I missed something. What town I really like, although very, very small is Locust Grove, just past Peggs. And I loved the city of Guthrie. It has a historical downtown that is really beautiful. Grove is really nice too, but mainly because of the lake and the antiques stores. If you go to Guthrie you will want to check out Stillwater. Someday I hope to do so.
We plan to check out a lot of places... Just trying to make the short- list a little shorter before that time comes.

Thanks for your input as always,

M.

Last edited by TheComputerGuy; 11-15-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Question: What does anybody who's been there, think about Ponca City or Blackwell?
Things are dirt cheap there... I'm sure there is a reason.
I did read that PC started going down when Conoco left.
Anyone have anything else to add?

We've decided that so far, Guthrie is definitely on the short list, and those places seem close to it...
And so darn inexpensive.

TIA,

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM

I just can't imagine a dangerous street in Tahlequah, so Lee Street here I come.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Somewhere Peggy put up some links that don't work. I am trying them again for her:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-humidity.html

Okay, these links work. Maybe ComputerGuy can explain why mine work and her's don't. I went to the website first, and then I did a copy at the top on the bar that has the http:// in it. then I pasted them onto microsoft word, and then I came back here and copied and pasted them into this post.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I just can't imagine a dangerous street in Tahlequah, so Lee Street here I come.
Jessaka, PLEASE don't get yourself hurt or worse on my account...
The folks here will miss you!

Heck... I've read hundreds of your posts all over the forum... I'd miss you.

When I was A_G's age, I knew a LOT more about what went on in the streets than my parents did. This may be the case in this situation.

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma