Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:59 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,404,765 times

Advertisements

Hi peggydavis,

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
When I am on the Turner Turnpike it seems like 75 is the minimum speed. People go fast on that road.
My days of speed are pretty much over.
These days I just set the cruise control to the speed limit.
Couldn't do that in MA because of all the traffic, but it works great here in Northern NH.

Quote:
We had internet by satellite in Edmond and it was terrible. We live in a rural area now. We have Plainsnet and that is not satellite, it is broadband.
My experiences with satellite both at home and on clients' sites have been less than optimal. Too much packet loss and quite unreliable.

Quote:
In my opinion Tulsa has the better scenery but OKC has more opportunities for business.
Duly noted!
I've read a lot of unflattering things about OKC in a few threads here so I suppose short of seeing it for myself, I can only take it for what it's worth.
Everyone has their own biases.

Remember, I've never been to OK so I only know what I read...
That's why I appreciate the diversity of opinions here.
Keep the info coming!

Thanks,

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 AM

152 posts, read 370,518 times
Here is a link to the city of Guthrie if you haven't already came across it...

Untitled Document

Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM

Hi A_G.

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
hello. I came upon this site by chance and was looking through the replys.
I live in a rural town 18 miles north of tahlequah called peggs. I make the commute every day. I can vouch for tahlequah.
I'll add Peggs to the list of places to research.
Tahlequah seems just a couple of grand out of reach for us to buy for cash.

Quote:
im 17 btw i went to THS, if your coming here to watch a great highschool football team, They suck end of story.
Good thing we're not sports addicts!

Quote:
We have a small state college known for teaching and optomitry (eye doctor) called NSU, northestern state university.
One of the fields my son is interested in is teaching. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Tahlequah is the home of the cherokee people. Home of cherokee nation
It doesnt really matter what political values you have. Its all in all a pretty conservative town, People dont really voice there political opinions, its like the old saying, Dont ever talk about religon or politics and you can get along with anybody.
I agree. Especially when I'm at work!

Quote:
One interesting fact is, all the street signs in down town aka Muskogee ave. Has the names of the streets written in the cherokee language below it.
I live in a recreation / tourist area also and the Native Americans have definitely
left their mark here. We have a lot of streets, rivers etc. that are fun to pronounce... Like Skoocumchuck, Kancamagus, Siwooganock, Piscataqua... So we're no strangers to that. I think it's pretty cool actually.

Quote:
We have a super center, reasors (founded in tahlequah btw). Goodys (clothing store), payless, starbucks,auto zone, advance auto, oriellys, napa (im a gear head sorry), the kettle (24 hour country diner), and several other things.
Sounds like exactly what we have here.
Nothing wrong with being a gear head.

Quote:
But as far as your profession goes, I dont think this would be a great places. As far as i know, you might get on for the BERRY company, AKA bob berry, who owns the nurserys (plants), nick nack companys, golf coures etc.
You're probably right about that. And as we all know, if you don't work, you don't eat.

Quote:
As far as religon goes, Although i really dont want to get into this subject. For being in the bible belt. Im sure we have a church for you.
I haven't found one here that suits us very well.
Although my wife and I were raised Catholic, I'd consider us Non-denominational Christians. A lot of the organized religions turn me off. Especially when they worry more about money or mumbo-jumbo than scripture. There are 2 churches here that really turn me off; The pastor of one drives a Bently, and the pastor of another has a collection of classic cars. I think that money could be better spent.

But, I digress, I'm here to learn about OK. There are plenty of forums out there for religion discussions.

Quote:
We have spiders, some deadly ones, but you only haft to worry about them in the fall. As there trying to find a winter spot. We got snakes. But other than that, Nothing to extreme.
Well A_G... I've been bitten or stung by just about everything possible from bees to jellyfish and I'm still here... That's not to say I've enjoyed any of those occasions or that I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid them.

Quote:
Tornadoes, Tahlequah hasnt been hit for 100 years or more. But we do have the chance for two sets of 8 weeks a year. Fall, and spring.
Although I've never seen one in person, I can imagine they'd be pretty horrifying...
Especially at 2am.

Quote:
during the summer, july to september, It can go from 95-120 degrees at 100% humiditys, while the winters can dip down into the teeens and even negative digits. we get snow maybe twice a year. Just enough to shut down the schools. Prolly 6 inches at the most. This past jan we were nailed by a damaging ice storm. But that was the first in 20+ years.
The heat and humidity sound deadly to me. I've been known to whine about 85 degrees with 70% humidity.

Up here, we get about 2 weeks during February that go 30 below 0.
Only recently has that begun to bother me. I never needed a Winter coat until I was over 30 years old.

The way I figure it, the retired folks here go to FL for the late Fall through the early Spring, so as I get older I will be more apt to appreciate the heat, and kids are pretty much adaptable to whatever climate they live in.

I could be wrong... We may see...

Quote:
If i missed anything let me know.
Thanks Anthony, you've done a very diligent job addressing our questions and I really appreciate your time. It's great to get diverse views. My son is your age, so your opinions are important to us.

Quote:
You can get cable internet 100 mbs in tahlequah.
If you lucky you can get Broad band or dsl out my way. And satlite anywhere.
H/S Internet is quite important to us business-wise and personally.
The only way I could want satellite would be if it was my only choice because I had a ton of acreage in the middle of nowhere...
Since we probably can't afford that, I don't think it will be a problem.

Quote:
I also lived in tulsa 10 years So ask me some questions and ill try to help you out.
Thank you very much for the offer, I will definitely take you up on that!

Thanks for all the info,

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Hi Guthrie Kid,

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
Here is a link to the city of Guthrie if you haven't already came across it...

Untitled Document
Guthrie looks very do-able real estate and location-wise.

My wife surfs real estate for a hobby, so I've been passing all the good info I get onto her.

This weekend I'll have some quality time to do the tons of research we need.
(Trying to do 3 things at once here!)

Thanks SO much!

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 AM

Hi LadyRobyn,

Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
TheComputerGuy, Well, if you've read alot of posts here you now how much we LOVE Duncan! My pictures are all over the place.
Yes, I've seen some of your photos.
Duncan appears to be do-able for us price-wise.
Except from what I understand the heat and bugs might be extreme...
I only know what read, and I take it for what it's worth.
PLEASE feel free to correct me though.

Quote:
We're about 1 1/2 hours south of OKC (88 mi.) If you have time and the weather is nice, come on down and visit. We have
The Chisholm Trail Heritage Center (among other things ) and there are plenty of places to eat along HWY 81.
You make it awfully hard to resist.
I was trying to find one or two portions of the state to focus on,
but with all the great responses we're getting, I'm finding it a bit difficult...
I suppose that a GOOD thing though.

Quote:
I think based on the areas you have lived before, you might prefer the North/Central area of OK but you never know! Check out our area on Realtor.com as well... houses and land are quite reasonable and the "commute" to Lawton is only 30 min. My hubby made that drive for the first year we were here and he loved it.
Haven't looked into business possibilities in Lawton yet, so I'll add it
my research list... Looks like I'll be very busy this weekend.
Better than having no leads though.

Quote:
If you find something you like in Duncan, I would be happy to go take a few pics of the neighborhood and give you a better idea of the area. (small town, short trip )
Thank you VERY much for your kind offer!
I will probably take you up on it after we do our homework and get a better feel for the state.

We appreciate your time.

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Not so............

Don't move next to me....neighbors are jerks.

Did I mention I have no neighbors?
I hate to admit this, but you sure sound a LOT like me...
Especially since the neighbors from H*ll moved in last Summer.

But... We're nice (and quiet) folk... You wouldn't even know we were there.
(really!)

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
LOL i have the same problem. No nieghbors...
Sounds like a problem I could live with.

Quote:
for miles..prolly a total of 200 people in peggs. im related to over half. I haft to know a womans full family tree before i can date them. I dont live in arkansas sorry...
Also not a problem for me...
Been happily married for 25 years, and have NO relatives in OK.

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:05 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,625,397 times
That's funny AG--Cowboys and Indians against everyone else.

When my DH and I first got married, he was having his house sprayed for bugs 2X a month. I stopped that and we didn't have so many bug problems after that. I know it sounds creepy, but if you let the little jumping spiders live in your house they will kill and eat the bad brown recluses.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I hope you come and visit first. If you find you don't like it flat, eastern OK would be better. But there is a beauty around Guthrie...

But you may consider even it to be rather flat. I think Eastern Ok is just beautiful. You should look on a map, and you will see a lot of water.
My wife is checking out Guthrie as I type this (whilst also doing a server install) and one of the photos shows mountains in the background.
Guthrie is looking pretty good so far, but there's SO much research to do...
Gonna be a BUSY weekend. So much info, so little time.

Maybe sometime this weekend, I can post a few local photos of our mountains,
Local as in from my yard and within walking distance.

Quote:
If you like to fish, you will have to spray your clothes with Deet for chiggers and mosquitoes. It is a must. I hate the stuff, but I spray my clothing now and try to not breath the spray. I feared coming here due to the humidity, but it wasn't as bad as other places where I lived, and this time I have air in car and house. If you fish early in the morning it isn't as hot.
I DO like to fish! I also detest bug repellent, but it's also a MUST here as the mosquito is our state bird.

Quote:
It was a spider bite but had not been identified and never turned black, whereas my sister came to visit and was bitten by one.

I had my house sprayed 3 times in 3 months, only because the company wanted that contract. I will not allow anyone to spray inside again. They can have the attic and the crawl space under the house. In fact, next time I will get bombs from Farm Supply and let them off in the attic and crawl space. I live in an old farm house with a lot of woods around, and so I imagine that is why I had a problem. I don't know if I will have to spray next spring. This year was just a bad year for spiders. I will have to put granules out in the yard each spring from ticks. If you have grass around where you walk, you probably won't get many ticks and chiggers. Well, maybe not as many chiggers.
Guess they like your sister better than you.
(Yeah, I know.. NOT funny at all!)

Question: Why won't you allow them to spray inside?
Being someone who doesn't like the whole idea of pesticides either, I'd be grateful to know your reasons.

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM

Hi Anthony,

Once again, thanks for the response and I really DO appreciate your candor.
I know that when I was 17 I knew more about what went on in the streets than my parents did, so your opinions and info are quite valuable to us.

Quote:
Homeschooling. Yes we have alot of home schooling friendly laws. But..big but. all the homeschool booklets you haft to get...are 95% of the time all christian. If you like it this way, then your good to go..if not im sorry.
I think we found it a little odd at first, but I'm liking it these days.

Quote:
I went to homeschool for 3 weeks. Then it started asking questions about moses in my damn science tests...
I think you and my 17 year old son would get along great.
(Not necessarily because of this comment, but by your posts in general you seem to have a bit in common.) And I can certainly understand why you feel that way,
and I don't begrudge you in the least.

Quote:
now what does that haft to do with science after all if you believe in evolution you dont believe in go. But thats beside the point, kinda of a touch subject to be talking about to anybody.
Actually, there's quite a bit in the bible that pertains to science, but this isn't really the place for that discussion. I don't push my beliefs on anyone and I don't like people pushing their beliefs on me. I don't mind discussions, but pushy people turn me off.

Quote:
Last year, at tahlequah highschool. There was a race war. Full blown. Over a cowboy. Getting knocked of fhis motor cycle while entering school by some kids daddy, over the illegal alien issue. For a month straight, Cowboys and indians agains everybody else. But nothing really exciting happened. Didnt spill out of the highschool.
I have NO tolerance for racism. It really p*sses me off.
We judge people by their actions, not their race.
I guess there are stupid people everywhere unfortunately.
(Can't live with them... Can't shoot them.)

RE: drug issues:

My kids know better, but that being said, drugs bring crime and crime ain't a good thing. I was a long haired rock musician at your age, and I saw drugs destroy a lot of peoples' lives back then. It's really a shame.

Quote:
In tahlequah there really is no demographic difference in good or bad sides. Except one street..or one area actually. Lee street. if your white, stay away from there. i got some storys believe you me.
Duly noted!

Quote:
In awhile a new lightbulb will turn on and ill post again until then
Anthony
Once again, thanks SO much for your input. It means a lot to me.
Keep the posts coming.

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma