Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Where you moving to nightbird?
To Cushing. I have wanted to get away from the wall to wall people for a long time and consider myself lucky to have found my chance.

We went to one of the local restraunts when I was visiting friends and were waited on by a kid in his teens. It was amazing how polite he was. You just don't get that here in most of the kids here. That and the open space.... can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
The last place we had in WA was the one with the sugar ants. It had been abandoned some 3 years or more when we bought it as a fixer - there was NOthING for them to eat there, and the place was overrun with them. What might have helped would have been to get rid of all the carpeting, but it was one of those cheaper doublewides constructed with an eye to profit rather than quality, and there was only subflooring under them. There were more important things to spend time and money on - such as repairing the plumbing so we could actually live there!
Sounds like the mobile home I had... I pulled up the passionate pink carpet (ick) and found holes in the floor. Thought it was fun with the nice drill and lumber fixing it myself.

I'm soooo happy that this is a house, not an apartment and not a mobile home. We are getting the renovation finished, and there will be some stuff to finish on our own, but I'll deal as long as its liveable.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Sounds like the mobile home I had... I pulled up the passionate pink carpet (ick) and found holes in the floor. Thought it was fun with the nice drill and lumber fixing it myself.

I'm soooo happy that this is a house, not an apartment and not a mobile home. We are getting the renovation finished, and there will be some stuff to finish on our own, but I'll deal as long as its liveable.
If DH hadn't died and we'd stayed there, getting rid of the carpet was on the list. But there were, as I said, more important things to start with. I like my house here, but the last place we had in AK was a 2,000+ sf mobile/stick hybrid, and it was just great. Solid, but with a few relatively minor projects to do. It's been so long since I've lived in a place that was completely finished, I feel sort of like I'm intruding into someone else's life just walking through the door! Fortunately, I have enough projects here to do to keep me happy.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
If DH hadn't died and we'd stayed there, getting rid of the carpet was on the list. But there were, as I said, more important things to start with. I like my house here, but the last place we had in AK was a 2,000+ sf mobile/stick hybrid, and it was just great. Solid, but with a few relatively minor projects to do. It's been so long since I've lived in a place that was completely finished, I feel sort of like I'm intruding into someone else's life just walking through the door! Fortunately, I have enough projects here to do to keep me happy.
My mobile was 1300 sq foot... with a porch you had a triple wide. I came as close to complete as possible for me with that one. But there was mold under the tree, the heat and ac were useless due to leaks and the park raised the space rent every three months. We had a fire near one evening and everyone was ready with the car packed.

I love projects.... haven't had the space in my apt to do anything with them. So all the bins go to the new craft room so beads and half done earrings can live in peace without becoming cat toys lol

The table and cabinet I picked up here as abandoned are now waiting for a refinishing. Space, the final frontier!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My mobile was 1300 sq foot... with a porch you had a triple wide. I came as close to complete as possible for me with that one. But there was mold under the tree, the heat and ac were useless due to leaks and the park raised the space rent every three months. We had a fire near one evening and everyone was ready with the car packed.

I love projects.... haven't had the space in my apt to do anything with them. So all the bins go to the new craft room so beads and half done earrings can live in peace without becoming cat toys lol

The table and cabinet I picked up here as abandoned are now waiting for a refinishing. Space, the final frontier!
I've got plenty of those kinds of projects too, but the ones I was primarily referring to were re-doing the 'remodelling' the sellers had started. If they'd done much more, they'd have had to drop their price to cover the costs of any buyer who had to fix all their goofs. Common sense didn't seem to play into anything they did. Fortunately, it's basically sound, and it has a wonderful huge yard. And I'm the kind of person who needs to make plans and keep busy.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,309 times
[quote=TheComputerGuy;2314868]So where are you now?[quote]

I am back in OKC now. And I'm so sorry I never replied. I forgot to bookmark this forum when I visited before. If you're still in OKC, I hope you've been enjoying living here.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
Have to many small airplanes! Thinking Ok would be a nice place to retire and fly. My dad liked to fly to Ponca for the monthly breakfast. What is the best small airport in Oklahoma? Have a long way to move my stuff from california, this place is very expensive and has too many unfriendly regulations!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,048 times
Default Greetings, ComputerGuy

Well, first off, May I suggest that if you are moving to Oklahoma that you ensure you have a job there first! The economy really sucks rocks and it is very difficult to find a decent job there. I lived in Oklahoma on and off for over 30 years and am a great fan. (I moved to TX in 2009 because it had a better economy). But I definately would NOT recommend Oklahoma City to live, (lots of crime)

Ah, Stillwater! Talk about a "small town" feel, it definately has that. If you could possibly get a job there, Stillwater would be a nice place to live, plus, OSU is an excellent university. It's within reasonable driving distance to big city Tulsa.

Now, I've heard that Tulsa is a fairly decent town--haven't lived there, so I do not know 1st hand. Claremore OK is an attractive small town within reasonable driving distance to Tulsa. So is Vinita (definately small-town!) and Miami, OK--though some distance away from Tulsa.

Good luck on your search

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hi Folks,

I've read over 3,500 posts here in the last few days and for the most part, OK seems to be almost ideal.
Especially the home prices and friendly people.

We're considering relocating there in the near future...
(After we actually see it in person of course)

I'm originally from MA, 30 mi. NE of Boston. We've lived in Southern NH for 7 years and then Northern NH for 7 years. I prefer rural living, but need to be about 30 minutes or so from areas that have a decent amount of small and medium businesses if I intend to stay self-employed. (And I'd REALLY like to, if possible.)

I'm an Information Technology professional (20 yrs.) and have run my own network service business for the last 10+ years.

The local economy and real estate market in this area have really taken a nose-dive in the last year. (Yeah, I know... It's the same everywhere.)

Our house is currently for sale, and we're going to take a beating in this market.
We want to be mortgage free, and we've seen a lot of properties there, that would be affordable to us. (As in less than $40K.)

Anywho...
I'll tell you about us and hopefully YOU will tell me if we're a good fit for OK, and which areas you think would suit us best. (Please?)

1. We're very conservative.

2. We have a 17 year old son and a 15 year old daughter that are both home schooled. (And OK has awesome homeschooling laws!)
Also need to be less than an hour from a good college...
Preferably OSU.

3. I LOVE my job and would like to do the same thing in our new place of residence.

4. I HATE bumper to bumper traffic and long commutes. (Left that in MA)

5. Amenities;

a.) I could care less about what a lot of folks consider "culture".
b.) Restaurants are unimportant to us.
c.) As far as shopping goes, if we have a few more choices than WallyWorld and more than 1 or 2 grocery stores, we'd consider it a plus.
d.) Broadband Internet is a MUST!

6. I'd never sleep again if I ever saw a scorpion in-doors. I'm not thrilled about spiders either!
(Don't like the idea of pesticides, but I know it will be required.)

7. I'm starting to get used the idea of tornadoes, gonna want a scaredy-hole though.

9. Prefer cold to heat, but will tolerate heat for a chance at a better life.

10. Absolutely want to be around people with good manners.

11. So far, it looks like I'd prefer to be in the Northern-middle to North-East part of the state. But I've never been there, so you tell me.

12. Absolutely NOT racist.

13. HATE huge cities, but would like to be about an hour from one.

14. A safe area to walk the streets goes without saying.

15. Would like some land / privacy, but can't afford it.
(I'd settle for QUIET though)

I could go on, but this post is turning into a book.

We'd truly appreciate any advice you could give us.

TIA,

Mike

Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
1968tailwind, you might want to try re-posting your question as a new post, rather than at the end of a 3 year old one. More people might be inclined to look at it, and I'm sure there are some people on here that could give you some real answers. I don't know anything about local airports, other than there is one not far from me. The Guthrie-Edmond Regional Airport.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineallthepeople View Post
Well, first off, May I suggest that if you are moving to Oklahoma that you ensure you have a job there first! The economy really sucks rocks and it is very difficult to find a decent job there.
Are you kidding me? There are tons of jobs available. It may not be something one wants to do but for anybody who wants to work there is plenty of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma