Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,076 times

Advertisements

I haven't regretted leaving Mexifornia, but only because of the traffic congestion. We do have Mexicans here, and it is good to see them, just as it is to see and be with African Americans, East Indians, Chinese, American Indians, etc.

One of my favorite towns to live in was Laredo, Texas, but only because I could walk across the boarder to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico and have a fun time eating and shopping. Other than that the desert there was a bit too much for me.

I still have to get up and see Grove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 AM

77 posts, read 524,200 times
OKC is reviewed and is now considered a two tier city. Having a city of huge growth means more money/higher living/culture. We also have Tulsa which is very pretty and is considered a three tier city and has qualities that lack in OKC. Both areas have a different face of their own. This should be appreciated and shows oklahoma is a great state on the rise.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,594,308 times
The prettiest places outside of OKC and Tulsa are Tahlequah and Poteau ,Lake Tenkiller,Grand Lake......

Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,624,728 times
I'll add Lake Murray to that list, Howest.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 AM

68 posts, read 230,390 times
I live in a very pretty subarb of Dallas, but I long to be back in OK. Some people around here are nice, but they just assume you have monye and some are just down right snobbish. I am so tired of paying almost 4000.00 a year in property tax for a house worth1410000.00 with a postage stamp sized back yard. We have our house up for sale and are planning to move to South Tulsa in the Union school district.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affluent View Post
None...Oklahoma is not so great. I moved here from PA and made a mistake. I am now in Duncan OK where peopleare typical red necks and too conservative...Hope this helps you to rethink.
But the question was Oklahoma's prettiest city, and nothing about politics. Be glad, at least Duncan comes closer to being Oklahoma's prettiest city, rather than most runned down. If you're into liberal activism, then move to Stillwater and join those who demonstrate against the Iraq War at the courthouse every Wednesday evening.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjockey75 View Post
Well, you're partially right. Not that many trees, except in towns and along creek beds and fencerows. But flat... not necessarily. Extreme SW Oklahoma is flat but much of the western part of the state, like along I-40, consists of low rolling hills. Pretty countryside. And, don't forget the Wichita Mts, just west of Lawton. Really awesome place
And in northwestern Oklahoma while driving on Highway 51, I like how red buttes rise up periodically. It's kinda strange and out of place looking.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,440,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affluent View Post
None...Oklahoma is not so great. I moved here from PA and made a mistake. I am now in Duncan OK where peopleare typical red necks and too conservative...Hope this helps you to rethink.
It sounds like we have a Urbanite-City slicker here.(no offence). I just happen to live in Duncan,Ok. myself(via CA,) and I'm sorry that you feel this way.
I guess it was a big mistake moving from the "Rust Belt" to the "Bible Belt".
I hope that your are able to correct this mistake.
Good Luck.

BTW, we're proud to be called "Rednecks".

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-24-2008 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,440,735 times
I haven't really been out and about that much to see many of the cities in OK. The furthest I've been so far from Duncan is about a 70 mile northern radius, which is the outskirts of OKC to drop of the U-Haul trailer I brought from CA.

Not to jurk anyones chain, but I was raised in the country and the country stuck with me all my life. I just cannot see the beauty in a crowned city with tall skyscrapers, except maybe at night at a distance when all that can be seen is lights.
So if I had to make a choice on the prettiest city that was unlike the ones discribed above, I would have to say:
Palm Springs, California. It has a very artistic and historical fashion to it, and the fashion is meant to stay. Also, the desert town was built more horizonally than vertically.
But that's my opinion.

I don't regret leaving Mexifornia either.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-24-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,076 times
I actually think that San Francisco is a beautiful city if you are thinking of CA. I knew of people that had homes with a view of the city lights, the bay, etc. I used to wonder what they saw in it too. Sure it is nice at night with the lights, but so are the power plants in CA when it is night. LOL.

I grew up in a small town, and so I love it here too. I kind of wish we were young enough to have bought in the country. I still miss my view of my farm house in Creston, Ca where it looked like the prairie with rolling hills. The quiet was wonderful.

I think those that grew up in the cities may never be able to handle small town life or even rednecks. I grew up with rednecks and could never handle city folk. Sure I have good friends that I met in the city, but I still like rednecks, and when it was time to get married I found one. And I spent most of my adult life living in cities--San Francisco Bay Area and then San Diego area.

Austin, TX and Portland, OR are also pretty cities. Don't want to live in them though.

Quote:
I live in a very pretty subarb of Dallas, but I long to be back in OK. Some people around here are nice,
That was my view of Texas too. I lived all over Texas, and the people were nice. But nothing in comparison with those in OK. Here nice has an entire new meaning. I am trying to explain that to a friend of mine who may be moving here in a year or less. Her husband is from the panhandle of Texas, and I told her that the people and the area in Tahlequah is so much better. I need to find a thread here to show her what I mean. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma