Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,487 times

Advertisements

oklahoma,its a great place to be from ,have lots of great childhood memories growing up in Baron 'bout a half mile from the baron fork creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 22,272 times
Default Oklahoma

The western half of the state is flat. No trees, just flat and open. the eastern half has lots of trees and greenery and is hilly, especially the south eastern corner. If you want nice rolling hills and trees that turn in the fall then stick with the southeast part. There's a couple of lakes that are nice, lake Eufaula and Grand lake at Grove. The state is really totally different from the north west to the south east....there's no comparison. Do a google search on "talimena drive". That's a stretch of road through the mountains in the southeast corner that draws a lot of people in the fall when the leaves are turning, it will give you an idea of what it's like in that part.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM

114 posts, read 602,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppie View Post
The western half of the state is flat. No trees, just flat and open.
Well, you're partially right. Not that many trees, except in towns and along creek beds and fencerows. But flat... not necessarily. Extreme SW Oklahoma is flat but much of the western part of the state, like along I-40, consists of low rolling hills. Pretty countryside. And, don't forget the Wichita Mts, just west of Lawton. Really awesome place

Old 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I have serious doubts that the entire state of Oklahoma has 2-300,000 tourists over the course of an entire year.
Ummmm... the Wichita Mountains ALONE have AT LEAST that many visitors every year

Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Sorry to hear this, but I have to agree with you, having spent some time in Duncan.

I've been in exile in Oklahoma for many years now. Ironically, PA is where my wife and I are hoping to move in the next few months.

Some places in OK are a little prettier and more progressive than Duncan, but overall I just think "Oklahoma. Meh."
I'm sorry you feel like that. I've lived all over this country, from NE to SW, and found that Okies were by far the friendliest (and the most generous) people anywhere. I'd move back there in a heartbeat if there was a job opportunity for me.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 12,987 times
We have been doing a LOT of looking at smaller towns lately, wanting to move out of Oklahoma City. Pauls Valley is just about the prettiest place we've found. Huge park with lots of tennis courts, rose gardens, big round-up club (if you like horses and rodeo), very quaint main street. the whole town seems very well kept up, yards landscaped, good maintenance, etc. Another place we really like is Tishomingo in SE OK. Murray State college is located there.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,663 times
nobody has yet to mention norman -- my personal favorite because of its college town atmosphere, relatively liberal-thinking population, cultural and religious diversity. there are some pretty parks and beautiful neighborhoods that come alive in the spring. plus tons of great festivals and fairs all year long.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,133 times
Default Best part of OK

The prettiest place in OK is the east and southeast part of the state. Poteau OK is a great little town. I moved here from NJ about twenty five years ago. I live north of Wister[eight miles from Poteau]. The weather is great, some hot days in the summer, but you get used to it. As mentioned, Talimena drive is a tourists delight, especially in the fall. I have mountains surrounding me and it is a beautiful drive through the mountains from here to the Texas border through Broken Bow about 100 miles south. Just Google Poteau. Hope this helps.
Frank
PS--I am in the Mustang and Cougar restoration business and it allows me to travel all over the country looking for, picking up after buying on the Internet and delivering cars. I have never found a prettier place in all my travels. I have been to all but seven states in the continental US. Colorado and South Dakota have some great scenery, but I bet that this area will match it and it is warmer in the winter.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,386 times
Default all of oklahoma

oklahoma changes so much from corner to corner.from the forests in se oklahoma to the desert sands,caves,and salt flats in nw oklahoma,to the mountains in ne oklahoma.
oklahoma is really a beautiful state.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,885 times
Default Poteauinfo.com

checkout Poteau, Oklahoma, you can see a few pics here www.poteauinfo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma