Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 PM

102 posts, read 287,813 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I last visited this site. Well, we are going to move on post but not crazy about where my kids will attend middle school. Can someone tell me whether I can get my 7th grader in to McArthur even if we are not zoned in that school? What hoops do I need to do to get in that school? Advise/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,149 times
I lived in Lawton for 18 years and I went back to see my Mother and now seeing this town grow a little bit it still sucks and alot of taxes and they even give tickets for you park in your yard how dumb is that. Best places to live in Oklahoma are Tulsa area (JENKS) Edmonds but the State stills sucks.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,125 times
I have lived her in Lawton all my life and it is not as gloomy as you put it on to be. Yes, there is not a whole lot to do but I think that it is a good place to raise a family. As far as the prostitutes and gangs it is no different from any other town. If you look for trouble you will find it anywhere you go. The movie theatre at the Mall downtown also has a curfew for the underage and they do have security. I have taken my 3 children there several times and I was never disrespected or mistreated by the kids that hang out there. There is also a Movie theatre on the west side of town which is a clean and nice place. The Elmer Thomas Park (Prarie Dog Park) is actually a nice place to enjoy with the family. You have to remember that some people that move here have never seen a prarie dog or buffalo that roam the Wichita Mountains. So, in stead of making Lawton sound like a horrible place why don't you talk about it's history. Such as the Mattie Beal home, The Museums in both Lawton and Ft.Sill, The Native Americans that once ruled the land, and the history of the Ft. Sill post. The soldiers here in Lawton, most of them are directly out of basic training or retired and are very respectful. I have never had a problem with one at all. There is beauty here. Maybe you should step out of your box and enjoy it.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM

32 posts, read 60,337 times
Do they still have the strip bars In Lawton ?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post
Yes.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:44 PM

81 posts, read 293,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomermagic View Post

Several years ago Lawton passed an law that basically stopped the stripping in side the city limits. Made the women wear pasites and no removal of bottoms.
Because of that most of the strip bars closed down while several others moved outside the city limits where the Lawton City codes can't stop them.
All of the ones that were on Ft. Sill Blvd right outside Ft. Sill have closed down.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
whatever happened in the Glenn animal abuse case in Lawton? did the kid get away with it?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,979 times
I don't really know what happened. It was mentioned on the news for a while, but that was it. The father of the kids is a businessman here in town, so I'm sure he was fined, or paid someone money to have everything dropped or whatever.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
Ya that's kinda what I figured. How sad that kinda of stuff is tolerated. Let's hope Karma or whatever it is kicks in.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 12,644 times
Question Roosevelt/Hobart?

I used to show jumpers at the Ft Sill shows 2xyearly - are they still using that beautiful bowl for horseshows? I saw a ranch listed for sale in Kiowa county but after I figured out that Kiowa was just NW of Lawton, I couldn't find the ad again. Supposed to be close to Roosevelt (300+pop) - the nearest "larger" town is Hobart but I can't find any listings for realtors - any suggestions? Do you know if Hobart is the County Seat for Kiowa? I know that's not your county (Comanche) but you are the closest possible source of info I've found. Thank you for any help you can lend. Knightmare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma