Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,104 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me who was the Mayor of Lawton, OK in 1982?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboraha View Post
Can anyone tell me who was the Mayor of Lawton, OK in 1982?
I am sure if you called the Lawton Public Library and asked a reference librarian, they could tell you.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
LOL I thought it was a weird coincidence when I received the news from the corporate office of La Quinta, LLC that they opened a new franchise property in Lawton a few days ago.

http://6172.lq.com

Disclaimer: Yes, I do work as a franchise general manager with La Quinta, but I'm not trying to generate revenue for this property in Lawton.

Tim C.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,924 times
Default Lawton Apartments

What can you tell me about apartments in Lawton, especially the west side?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:14 PM

44 posts, read 122,556 times
Actually, I found Decon's responses to be rather humorous but with some truth. I lived in Lawton most of life as well and I joined the Navy right out of high school and shot the heck out of there. Sure, it's cute and it was safe for my duration (not so safe now), but there are teenagers that are getting pregnant at 15 and by 20, they have 5 kids. (Goes in tote with J67Bubba's remarks about the high schools being overcrowded) Mobile homes are all the rage, which sucks during tornado season. I really liked eating at Lonestar and there used to be a great "Z" mexican restaurant that had been right next door that was also great

Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,696 times
I am moving to Lawton for a year and I reaaly wanted to know some stuff. i would really appreciate if you guys could help me what about the weather? is it too hot? is there snow? mcdonalds, burguer king? what do you think of the west side of town? I am really scared about the gangs!

Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaxx View Post
I am moving to Lawton for a year and I reaaly wanted to know some stuff. i would really appreciate if you guys could help me what about the weather? is it too hot? is there snow? mcdonalds, burguer king? what do you think of the west side of town? I am really scared about the gangs!

The weather is hot but generally dry in the Winter as it is a semi-desert environment. Whether it's too hot will be subjective, of course, but yes IMO it gets rather hot.

Lawton gets some snow, but not enough to be a hindrance.

McDonalds and Burger Kings are aplenty there I am sure.

As for the West side of town and the gangs I cannot comment because I do not know.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM

81 posts, read 293,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaxx View Post

Hi Liaxx.....

Lawton has 4 McDonalds, 3 Burger Kings, 1 Long John Silvers, 2 What-A-Burgers, 1 Papa Johns, 2 Little Ceasers Pizzas, 1 Outback Steakhouse, 1 Olive Garden, 1 Cracker Barrel, 1 LoneStar Steakhouse, 1 Buffalo Wild Wings, 1 Cattlemans Steak House, 1 Golden Corral, 1 Atlanta Bread Company, 2 KFC's, 3 Toco Bells, 1 El-Chico's, 5 Sonic Drive-In's and many more non-franchised Resturants that are very good to eat at. Some of my wife and I favorites are, Los Tres Amigos, Luigi's, Pusan's, China Garden and Mike Sports Grill.

Rumor has it that a Ted's Cafe and Escondio's is going to open a place in Lawton soon. Ted's is an awesome place to get great Mexican food. They are based mainly in OKC and Norman.

The Weather is as up and down as the rest of the Midwest areas.
One year we are in a Drought, the next we have rain every day. Normally the Temp doesn't get up to the 100's till around End of May - June and it stays there till mid-end of September. We have Plenty of lakes to cool off in so don't worry too much about the heat.
Winter is mild. We get cold temps and when it snows, it usually melts off within a day or two. We do however get ice instead of snow. That is what the biggest problem around this part is. Ice gets on power lines and then they snap causing power outages everywhere.

Lawton has not had a tornado hit town for, I think, about 20+ years. We do get the high winds, 60 - 70 MPH and when a big storm comes, it usually brings some good size hail with it.

As I have said in an earlier posting here, Lawton has gangs but what big city doesn't have them. They are not as bad as some people want everyone to believe. South-central part of town is where most of the gang activity is located. Have not heard about any activity on the West side of town, I think mainly because the West side of town has become a more upscale area. My Dad lives in the north central part of town and there has been some gang activity in that area but it is a lower income area also.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:29 AM

38 posts, read 161,742 times
Default Nicer (upscale) Apartment Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Ask me a question and I will tell you no lie.
My questions concern the availability and location of upscale, new apartment complexes in/around Lawton.

Typically, if you access the major online apartment sites (e.g., apartmentguide.com; rent.com), many complexes will appear. Not so for Lawton! I understand Lawton is a military town, and many reside in on-post housing. Where do the non-military professionals live? (those that choose to rent a nice apartment as opposed to immediately buying a home).

I heard, indirectly, that many new apartment complexes have been built. I'm aware of Independence Place in East Lawton (Independence Place - Military Housing - Fort Sill).

I'm looking for an upscale furnished, or semi-furnished, studio or 1-bedroom apartment that will accept a short lease, or a month-to-month tenancy. I strongly prefer a complex that enforces rules regarding noise limitations and wild parties. Noise/parties are fine, but after a certain hour, some people need to sleep!

I would also appreciate any unbiased commentary regarding Independence Place (3502 East Gore Blvd.). It appears they cater to people with my needs, but I'm reading disturbing reviews on apartmentreview.com. I realize every complex is imperfect, and cannot please everyone. I'd really like to hear from someone who actually lives there, is NOT an employee of Independence Place, or visits the complex regularly.

Does Independence Place have a competitor? Are there other places I should consider?

In advance, I appreciate your thoughtful assistance and comments.

THANKS!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
Hi Liaxx.....

Lawton has 4 McDonalds, 3 Burger Kings, 1 Long John Silvers, 2 What-A-Burgers, 1 Papa Johns, 2 Little Ceasers Pizzas, 1 Outback Steakhouse, 1 Olive Garden, 1 Cracker Barrel, 1 LoneStar Steakhouse, 1 Buffalo Wild Wings, 1 Cattlemans Steak House, 1 Golden Corral, 1 Atlanta Bread Company, 2 KFC's, 3 Toco Bells, 1 El-Chico's, 5 Sonic Drive-In's and many more non-franchised Resturants that are very good to eat at. Some of my wife and I favorites are, Los Tres Amigos, Luigi's, Pusan's, China Garden and Mike Sports Grill.

Rumor has it that a Ted's Cafe and Escondio's is going to open a place in Lawton soon. Ted's is an awesome place to get great Mexican food. They are based mainly in OKC and Norman.

The Weather is as up and down as the rest of the Midwest areas.
One year we are in a Drought, the next we have rain every day. Normally the Temp doesn't get up to the 100's till around End of May - June and it stays there till mid-end of September. We have Plenty of lakes to cool off in so don't worry too much about the heat.
Winter is mild. We get cold temps and when it snows, it usually melts off within a day or two. We do however get ice instead of snow. That is what the biggest problem around this part is. Ice gets on power lines and then they snap causing power outages everywhere.

Lawton has not had a tornado hit town for, I think, about 20+ years. We do get the high winds, 60 - 70 MPH and when a big storm comes, it usually brings some good size hail with it.

As I have said in an earlier posting here, Lawton has gangs but what big city doesn't have them. They are not as bad as some people want everyone to believe. South-central part of town is where most of the gang activity is located. Have not heard about any activity on the West side of town, I think mainly because the West side of town has become a more upscale area. My Dad lives in the north central part of town and there has been some gang activity in that area but it is a lower income area also.

Hope that helps!

you REALLY helped me!
thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma