Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,349,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorseherb View Post
After living in Northern Indiana for 38 years and putting up with the frigid Winters and super humid Summers. I am loving it here, of course I am not outside roofing a house or mending fences. I am sitting here at my computer watching my lawn sprinklers do their job.
Gee, I bought gas early this morning for my mower - was 88 when I left, 92 when I got back from a short walk with enough time to pump one gallon. I'm thinking more about a few gallons of weed killer on the grass, not sprinklers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,333,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorseherb View Post
After living in Northern Indiana for 38 years and putting up with the frigid Winters and super humid Summers. I am loving it here, of course I am not outside roofing a house or mending fences. I am sitting here at my computer watching my lawn sprinklers do their job.
I lived in socal all my life up to two years ago. With the exception of the years I lived a quarter mile from the beach (where its moderate but very damp) I lived in areas that had hot summers. I learned that mid day is the time to be somewhere in air conditioning. The humidity here is a little different, but I still hate the heat. I am sitting at my computer in front of my ac... When the metal front door feels hot its a no go outside time.

And YES, lets save some of that ice and cold air in December for now. If not, I still would take winter with four layers over this.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,798,041 times
Geez, I can't wait to see my water bill. I've really been pumping it to the lawn just trying to keep it from getting crunchy!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,333,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Geez, I can't wait to see my water bill. I've really been pumping it to the lawn just trying to keep it from getting crunchy!
I'm just happy it will not be growing at a foot a minute. My goal is more big flower planters, less lawn. A drip hose will do wonders in weather like this too since it doesn't run anything off. During the water restrictions when I lived out in socal we had a lawn thanks to buried drip hoses. Going to use that in my planters.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,538,398 times
I've been through child birth and nothing, including that, is worse than OK August heat!!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,798,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm just happy it will not be growing at a foot a minute. My goal is more big flower planters, less lawn. A drip hose will do wonders in weather like this too since it doesn't run anything off. During the water restrictions when I lived out in socal we had a lawn thanks to buried drip hoses. Going to use that in my planters.
Yeah, we actually installed a drip system in our front flower beds last summer. They are just under the surface of the soil and the mulch. It does work wonderfully. Unfortunately, we have a huge yard, so even with some really big beds, we still have a lot of grass.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Yeah, we actually installed a drip system in our front flower beds last summer. They are just under the surface of the soil and the mulch. It does work wonderfully. Unfortunately, we have a huge yard, so even with some really big beds, we still have a lot of grass.
Bet my yard's bigger.

This is ridiculous. I just checked weather underground and they say it's a few decimals over 97, but my shady deck thermometer still says 103. And it's nearly 7 PM.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,490,065 times
It's suppose to be 101 here in Duncan today, lows 74 with 75% humitity.

I could handle the heat in SoCal. It 's dry with no humidity.

Now Ok's gettin' to be like south of Houston in the 70's.
I thaught I got away from that.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,490,065 times
This is my 3rd summer in, 4th counting the summer of 2007 when I got here, but it's the first summer where the humidity got to me. I hope next summer isn't like this.
One good thing is, when the temp, drops even a few %'s it's very noticable. Is that me or are you all like that?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
This is my 3rd summer in, 4th counting the summer of 2007 when I got here, but it's the first summer where the humidity got to me. I hope next summer isn't like this.
One good thing is, when the temp, drops even a few %'s it's very noticable. Is that me or are you all like that?
I notice any drop in temp, too. Fortunately, the drops are more noticeable than the rises, up to a point anyway.

The first summer I was away from the midwest I lived on the Pacific in a little town where if it got up to 50 in the summer, people wore shorts with their winter coats. Then 31 years in a place where if it reached 60, everyone wilted from the heat, and the humidity was always high enough to make you feel like you were breathing pea soup.

Now, if it gets down to the high 80s, it's a cool day no matter what the humidity is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma