Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:06 AM

422 posts, read 1,272,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
The points you are making IMO are those used by the liberal left whose agenda is to grant all the illegals amnesty, give them the right to vote and create a whole new constituency for the left wing. What we used to consider entry level jobs in this country are now career positions for immigrants. No, people who have experience in the labor market won't take a lot of these jobs because they already have climbed a rung or two up the ladder, the rungs at the bottom always served as opportunities for the young and inexperienced to start out their careers. It was assumed that every year a new crop of graduates, young people, etc would be willing to start at the bottom and work up. Mexicans and others take these low paying jobs with no intention of moving up the ladder other than perhaps go home in a few years with a pocket full of cash. It's hard to put all the blame on them however when greedy businessmen will exploit them to make more profit or jam 30 of them in a 2 bedroom apartment (as they do here in central Ohio) to make a killing on the rent. For business people likely to post back whining that higher wages mean having to charge more and therefore go out of business, thats bravo sierra. Fair wage laws require competitive businesses to pay competitive wages, so if you had to pay Americans a higher wage, so would everybody else. The net result would be an increase in prices across the board and probably very little effect on sales. On the other hand immigrants do swamp the available social services and public education facilities in the area and those working for cash (illegals) pay no taxes. The whole system sucks, starting with greedy businessmen looking for cheap labor. I know one thing for sure, I have learned to order in Spanish in fast food restaurants in central Ohio, because usually the only person who speaks English fluently is the manager. It gets old after awhile.
You must be joking! I live in southern AZ and have yet to have the need to learn Spanish. We have a considerably higher Spanish speaking population than Ohio.....LOL...not once have I had a problem at a fast food restaurant or anywhere else for that matter. Unless, Ohio is having an illegal alien boom that is contributing to your situation...wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 01:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,932,018 times
You have to know Spanish in Central Ohio to order food at restaurants?...lol wow.

I live in the most Hispanic areas in Ohio, near westside of Cleveland and Lorain city. Mostly Puerto Ricans but there are plenty of Mexicans legal and illegal, and even there you don't have to know Spanish. Even at most the little bodegas and markets where most their customers speak Spanish you don't have to know it. I know some Spanish but am not fluent at all and I've been fine here.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 715 times
I live in Columbus Ohio and FYI you do need to speak spanish to order at most fast food restaurants. I live in an apartment complex of 20 apts. and all but 2 are filled with illegal mexicans... I am fed up with it. It sucks when some little kid is throwing rocks at your 3 year old and the other kids parents don't speak English so they stand there and look dumb as their brat continues to harass my child... To say we have a large illegal immigrant problem is an understatement...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM

450 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Really? Where? I'm a Ph.D. in Spanish and I've never had to speak Spanish anywhere, except at a taco truck. Yes, in Columbus.

A good majority of undocumented workers work with fake SSNs, which means that they pay taxes to the government and don't see any of it back. The "drain on the economy" meme is way overblown and ignores the facts of the situation.

Of course, the government KNOWS who has the fake SSNs. The fact that they don't crack down on them is proof enough that the government profits on their labor.

Nothing will change in this situation. There does need to be changes, but it won't happen. The INS will do big showy crackdowns every once in a while, but in the end, they have not been instructed to get rid of the undocumented workers. If all undocumented workers are sent back (which won't happen), the effect will be the political destablization of Mexico and a number of other countries, which will result in a bigger mess than we have right now. That's what the government doesn't tell you. Mexico has been unable to produce enough jobs for its people in part precisely because of US interference in its economy (austerity measures and neoliberal reforms of the 1980s and 1990s crushed the middle class, but was to the benefit of US businesses). US interference can be traced right through Latin America, and many countries have lost decades of progress because of it.

In short, the status quo will continue to be the status quo because there are no other viable options.
Please explain what you mean by our interference in Mexico's economy. I'm skeptical of what you are asserting.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 AM

450 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
You must be joking! I live in southern AZ and have yet to have the need to learn Spanish. We have a considerably higher Spanish speaking population than Ohio.....LOL...not once have I had a problem at a fast food restaurant or anywhere else for that matter. Unless, Ohio is having an illegal alien boom that is contributing to your situation...wow!
Notice, I said speaks English FLUENTLY, thereby not requiring me to repeat myself to get something simple from the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio