Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,814 times

Advertisements

I am a Law Enforcement Officer, and currently conducting an investigation. I am looking for a subject that was in the Lima State hospital during the year 1962, 1963 or 1964. The subjects name is William Lewis W/M born in April 20,1913. Not much info on him if you can help please e-mail me back thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 8,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daileyhistoricalarchives View Post
Hello. Looking for individuals who may have material and/or stories relating to the Lima State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Unfortunately as time passes, more and more mementos from the facility are thrown away. I am looking for ANYTHING from the hospital. Photos, badges, clothing, patient artwork, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cordially,

The Dailey Historical Archives
I had a uncle name Joseph Stokes. Someone came to Cleveland and told my grandmother that the were using him as a ginnypig. Later I found that he was use in the experiment for Cancer paitent, They woud inject we cancerous cell then, Use New drugs to see what happen etc,I did have more on the matter but I can't find it. 1955-1960's

Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 17,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daileyhistoricalarchives View Post
Hello. Looking for individuals who may have material and/or stories relating to the Lima State Hospital for the Criminally Insane. Unfortunately as time passes, more and more mementos from the facility are thrown away. I am looking for ANYTHING from the hospital. Photos, badges, clothing, patient artwork, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cordially,

The Dailey Historical Archives
I was a patient at LSH in the early 70's. Am also in touch with two others. Can we help you?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,670 times
I have spent quite a few years at the Lima Corrections starting in the mid 70's. There is a book titled "Chamber of Horrors" about the Mental side of the place and the terrible things that went on there. The Plain Dealer newspaper is or was in controll of this book and can not be published because some of the guards responsible for murders are or were still alive. I have not been able to find this book but would like to obtain a copy if it does in fact exist. If anyone can obtain info about this please inform me. I to have many stories abouit thisplace, and seen first hane some of the things uncovered there while the Corrections part took overe. I was one of the 400 first inmates there to assist in the clean-up.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 17,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzucc View Post
i spent 8 years incarcerated at lima penitentary.i have seen with my own eyes strange,very strange occurances from unexplained deaths to unnerving appearances of people who were not really there.i was there from 1990 to 1998.dr.martinez was there when i first arrived and believe me,his idea of medicine was absolutely frightening.NO ONE went to the infirmary unless they were pretty much unable to talk for themselves.i'll post more if i get a reply but my stories of that place can be confirmed easily.
If you think he was bad, you should have met Dr. Bukki in the new unit, early 70's Harley_b_good@yahoo.com

Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I have recently found a drawing done of the bldg. done by my mother in June 1958. My mother was training to be a psychiatrist (at that time). So perhaps she visited the facility in that capacity. (Since she died when I was a small child there is nobody to ask!)

Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM

33 posts, read 170,910 times
Default To Contact the Author

Hello, my friends! Due to the fact that I seem to have a hard time corresponding with you on this site...I ask that you please contact me through my personal email. jdaileyii@yahoo.com

Also, please refrain from publicly mentioning names of individuals on this site. The Lima State Hospital is a touchy subject. In order for me to investigate I need to respect the privacy of all involved. If my sources can't trust me, I am going to have a real lopsided view of the place. This is not a witch hunt. I realize that terrible things happened within those walls. By all means, tell me all what you care to share privately.

Why do I care about a building that is wasting away in the middle of Ohio? I find it to be one of the most fascinating buildings on earth. The drama that unfolded on that property is beyond imagination. The evolution of mental health treatment was a rough road. But these lost souls need not die in vain. LSH was not just a "Chamber of Horrors". In fact, I've met and researched some REAL heroes. Guard and patient alike. Whether from the State Hospital or the Lima Correctional Institute.

In many respects, I find those who worked or lived in this facility to be on the leading edge of humanity. Most of us have our jobs, TV sitcoms, bills, bar tabs, dates, etc etc. To be in LSH, one would evolve a sharper focus. Without life's frivolous distractions...a certain insight is attained. A rare glimpse into humanity.

As for the artifacts I've received from people. Amazing! I can never thank a person enough for parting with objects so personal. Photos of their grandfather in uniform. Artwork an uncle made. Badges or ID's. Awards. Newspapers. This project is bigger than me. My goal in life is to make sure everything stays intact long after I give up the ghost. I would never sell anything myself and I definitely don't want my life's work pieced out at a garage sale after my days are over. Perhaps it will all one day return home. To that amazing building in Lima, Ohio. It should be a museum after all.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 25,688 times
I am looking for anyone who can help me obtain the records of an inmate that was there in the TB hospital in the late 1930s. He was my uncle and his name was Ulysses Hewett. He was transferred there from Mansfield Reformatory when he contracted TB in 1935 or 1936. He died on March 5, 1938. His death certificate states that he was buried in the State Hospital Cemetery and I'd like to verify that. Any information would be appreciated.

AlabamaGriot

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,554 times
I am in possession of an intriguing dollar bill and hope someone can put together a story about the information printed on this bill. Someone has printed the following around the edges of the bill, which led me to this forum: Lima State Hospital - 1967 - Ward #9 - John Hunt- #121-614- Clifford Williams likes "John" - so says Clifford Williams 1990's - brown leather restraints - Frank Williams don't like Richard Counts! Why? - Vic Kovach - John Blissman - Deputy Mike - Josephine Strano - Gladys - Gladis Strano - Holly Strano - County Jail "64-65" - brown leather restraints. I'm interested in people's stories and this one has my curiosity aroused.

Last edited by dawink; 02-14-2009 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,497 times
Default visits to Lima State Hospital

I made several visits to Lima State Hospital, as I had decided to become a "reporter" -- I was about 17 or 18 years old, around 1960. A friend of the family, Gary Fowler, worked there and thus I got access to the place and a rare tour. I wrote an article about the hospital for the Lima news at that time, about the crafts at the hospital. I went back two more times, so have some real memories which I hope to share.

My experience of going to that place is something that has stayed with me my entire life.

I will try to come back to tell several stories about the place when I have more time.

Regards, Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio