Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 12:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
From the Dispatch…

<“One Columbus was the only regional partner to respond with a potential location: Jersey Township in western Licking County, near New Albany. It hadn’t been on the state’s radar, but the township featured many desirable traits: vast areas of farmland, affordable utilities, ample water supply (the factory would use 5 million gallons a day), and proximity to universities, highways, an airport and more.”>

https://www.dispatch.com/in-depth/bu...io/9183683002/

Appears none of the other regions (except Columbus) had sites meeting Intel’s criteria. Or else the regions simply dropped the ball. I assume it’s the former.

I’m sure Intel had VERY specific specs…within xx miles of international airport, university, etc. Along with the obvious acreage and utilities requirements.

I am not sure how anyone can throw rocks at JobsOhio on this. They hit a home run for the state.
Wow, that's hard to believe. This is the first I've heard that. It's hard to imagine the rest of the state not even bothering given that Ohio was clearly in play, so I would think those areas looked at sites and just couldn't find one that matched? Ironically, Columbus' urban area compactness and the long-running criticism of how you could end up in cornfields not too far from Downtown actually played as an advantage for the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 01:31 PM

490 posts, read 863,946 times
I read in one of Intel's press releases that Air Products, Applied Materials, LAM Research and Ultra Clean Technology all plan to establish a physical presence in the region as a result of Intel's decision. The spinoff from the project is going to be significant.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:53 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,463 times
Isn't Versum Materials already in Columbus?

Old 01-28-2022, 07:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,871 times
Quote:
JobsOhio has a network of six regions that cover the state. When Intel reached out to JobsOhio, JobsOhio sent the specs to all six regions asking regional directors for potential sites. Apparently only Columbus responded with a potential location, which ultimately was selected.

As far as benefits to the rest of the state…

New and existing suppliers will set up shop in OH to service the needs of the new mega-chip complex. My guess would be any place within a couple hours via interstate will be viable. Here’s an example showing the mayor of New Philadelphia positioning to attract suppliers.

https://www.timesreporter.com/story/...ys/9208740002/

In-state college graduates and technical professionals will have an in-state mega employer to launch careers. Good for anyone looking to remain in OH after graduation, and good recruiting point for OH colleges.

Wealth creation anywhere in the state will have some spillover effect in places like Cincy, CLE, etc. People take day trips, spend entertainment money, and the likes.

Public Relations. If all goes well, Ohio’s image will see a boost as a premier tech hub and perhaps the rust belt image will be buried. This likely spurs additional investment and attracts talent to the state.
I do agree about the PR image...but I just don't see why any supplier would not just set up right next to them in the Cbus area...

Cbus is a definitely the huge winner here...and the fact that the other regions didn't even submit an offer tells me that these areas need better political leadership.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's more of a function of there being far fewer farmers overall than 100 years ago, and many farming operations being with larger corporations than family-owned. So not every plot of land is some family's farm anymore, hence trees have grown back in some places.

Regardless, farming is not exactly environmentally sound. The chemical use, among other things, is not great. And in Ohio, a good portion of farming is to raise animal feed crops, and those animals are a big link in climate change.
That chemical runoff from Ohio farms is what leads to the big nasty Algae blooms in the Western Basin of Lake Erie and in some of our smaller lakes such as Grand Lake St Mary's.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:41 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I do agree about the PR image...but I just don't see why any supplier would not just set up right next to them in the Cbus area...

Cbus is a definitely the huge winner here...and the fact that the other regions didn't even submit an offer tells me that these areas need better political leadership.
It was the only place in Ohio that fit specific requirements for the site. They didn't submit because they knew it was a no go.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
From the Dispatch…

<“One Columbus was the only regional partner to respond with a potential location: Jersey Township in western Licking County, near New Albany. It hadn’t been on the state’s radar, but the township featured many desirable traits: vast areas of farmland, affordable utilities, ample water supply (the factory would use 5 million gallons a day), and proximity to universities, highways, an airport and more.”>

https://www.dispatch.com/in-depth/bu...io/9183683002/

Appears none of the other regions (except Columbus) had sites meeting Intel’s criteria. Or else the regions simply dropped the ball. I assume it’s the former.

I’m sure Intel had VERY specific specs…within xx miles of international airport, university, etc. Along with the obvious acreage and utilities requirements.

I am not sure how anyone can throw rocks at JobsOhio on this. They hit a home run for the state.
To be sure I'm not throwing rocks at JobsOhio for this...it's a huge get...I'm just saying I have never seen them do anything for NE or NW Ohio...in terms of this project, I can see that maybe this was the only place in Ohio that would work. Someplace near Medina, OH could have worked maybe as that's pretty flat and near the Hopkins International Airport...but if NE Ohio didn't put a bid in, that's a lack of leadership up here.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
To be sure I'm not throwing rocks at JobsOhio for this...it's a huge get...I'm just saying I have never seen them do anything for NE or NW Ohio...in terms of this project, I can see that maybe this was the only place in Ohio that would work. Someplace near Medina, OH could have worked maybe as that's pretty flat and near the Hopkins International Airport...but if NE Ohio didn't put a bid in, that's a lack of leadership up here.
Someone posted this in the Columbus forum:

https://www.nbc4i.com/intel-in-ohio/...or-chip-plant/

Quote:
In May, Husted said Intel laid out exactly what they needed for the factories.

“We got this call, and they said, ‘Hey, do you have a facility that meets all of these standards?’ It had to be … a lot of little things — like it couldn’t even be near a railroad track because of the vibration, it can’t have a vibration. You have to have more than 1,000 acres. It had to have the infrastructure. It had to have reliable electricity. It had to have access to a workforce,” Husted said.

“There was only one site in Ohio that we could even produce on that short of notice that actually met this criteria … and by the way, we didn’t actually own the land. So we were kind of betting on this.”
I really don't think anywhere in Northeast Ohio fit the specifications, it seems like it wasn't some intentional laziness. Medina definitely has railroads crisscrossing it. I don't think there is any point in applying for something you obviously don't qualify for.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They recycle most of the water they use, and plan to have it be 100% at some point. They are also planning to use 100% renewable energy. Whether that comes directly from Ohio (which is currently building more solar fields around the Columbus metro, including a couple in Licking County) or through the purchase of carbon offsets, I'm not sure.

And a side note here, Columbus doesn't get all of its water from reservoirs or local rivers. It has quite a few deep wells also for ground water.
Very good news, if true.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:38 PM

509 posts, read 781,820 times
I wonder what other cities were under serious consideration. I wonder how Indianapolis stacked up against us. I would think they would be similar.
I can see why Cleveland would be problematic since it's limited to the north by water. So can only expand south, which might already be too crowded.
I wonder about Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St Louis, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc.
Were the incentives we gave the cherry on top?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio