Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,185 times

Advertisements

I'm a female recent college graduate looking at either OCS or OTS. However, I'm having difficulty deciding between the Air Force or the Army. I can speak Arabic almost fluently and I have lived in the Middle East for two years.

I don't want to be stuck behind a desk (although I have heard that's difficult to avoid at lower ranks and as an officer in general) and I'd prefer field work (especially HUMINT) that's intellectually engaging.

Furthermore, I'm interested in what educational opportunities there are to pursue a full-time Masters degree through the military. I've heard rumors of Air Force majors sent to the Harvard Kennedy school full-time for a Masters degree.

Ultimately, I'd like to hear a comparison of the intel world for USAF v USArmy, how to minimize a desk job, and maximize opportunities for educational advancement as a woman.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,771 times
Here's my two cents as an Army Field Artillery officer. I've worked with both. The two services have different missions so their intel work is focused on different threats. However, there are also many similarities. In fact, they work side by side in many joint and combined commands.

Because the Army focuses on land and based upon your background and languange proficiency and interests, the Army is probably better suited to meet your needs. I currently teach Joint operations at the US Army Staff College and I have an MI officer in my staff group who speaks 5 languages. She has done some pretty interesting work.

As far as furthering your education. There are a plethora of ways. Tuition assistance will allow you to work on your masters at a school of your choosing (that was the route I went). You can be selected for certain fellowships that will send you to graduate school at some very prestigious universities. I know plenty of officers that went to Harvard, Georgetown, Yale, act., as part of programs they were selected to participate in. Those opportunities exist in all the services.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 AM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelgirl24 View Post
...Furthermore, I'm interested in what educational opportunities there are to pursue a full-time Masters degree through the military. I've heard rumors of Air Force majors sent to the Harvard Kennedy school full-time for a Masters degree.

Ultimately, I'd like to hear a comparison of the intel world for USAF v USArmy, how to minimize a desk job, and maximize opportunities for educational advancement as a woman.

Thanks!
Not rumors. Last week I was called by an upgrading pilot at Sheppard AFB coming up to our range, had been out of the cockpit 4 years, two at Macdill and two at school.

The intel field is wide open. With the increase in UAS there's going to be a commensurate increase in the data downloads and the need for intel assessments.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,536 times
Army also has programs to send their people to Harvard for a Master degree in Public Policy (it requires you to be AGR status and upon completion it would require you to change your branch from intelligence to strategist).

If you want to do fieldwork, especially HUMINT work, then your best bet is to go Army.

Army Harvard Strategist Program
https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Office...romotions#rosb (search for 'Harvard Strategist Program')

Last edited by molukai; 07-09-2013 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues