Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 08:09 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

I do think young and current employees will consider a move to Ohio (they obviously cannot staff with only new people). Ohio might be a very good place to ride out Climate Change (if you believe in that sort of thing)... Real Estate prices are freakishly unaffordable in Silicon Valley, very unaffordable in the Hillsboro area, and I'm not sure about Arizona (but, it's likely similar to Hillsboro)...

It will be an interesting story to follow as it develops
Columbus is a good place to ride out climate change, natural disasters and any potential major earth changes like rising sea levels.

I did a little research and found the safest places are mostly in parts of Ohio, Wisconsin, Vermont, Upstate NY and Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 10:35 AM

7,624 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Columbus is a good place to ride out climate change, natural disasters and any potential major earth changes like rising sea levels.

I did a little research and found the safest places are mostly in parts of Ohio, Wisconsin, Vermont, Upstate NY and Michigan.
Yes, that's what I read too. I'm thinking of retiring in one of those areas. I'm not in a bad location in the Pacific Northwest; but, it has gotten so overwhelmingly expensive here. That manufacturing needs water.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:20 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,045,018 times
https://www.levernews.com/intels-mul...it-and-switch/

Chip happens. On the fence on this. I am generally against all the massive corporate welfare but cutting edge process nodes for semi mfg is a national security issue.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:10 AM

469 posts, read 435,269 times
Intel Q4’22 fiscal results were a complete disaster. Q1’23 forecasts slashed.

<Intel Corp. is forecasting one of the worst quarters in its history, touching off a broader selloff of chips companies as a slowdown in personal-computer sales ravages the industry.>

<First-quarter sales will be $10.5 billion to $11.5 billion, the chipmaker said. That compares with an average Wall Street estimate of $14 billion. Intel expects to lose 15 cents in the quarter, excluding some items. Analysts had projected a profit of 25 cents.>

Q4 PC Client revenue down 35% YoY.
Q4 Data Center revenue down 41% YoY

Intel continues to hemorrhage market share to AMD, and fall further behind on manufacturing technology vs. TSMC. The issues run deeper than the typical market cycle ups-and-downs.

If this bloodbath continues throughout 2023, IMO, Intel will need to revisit its ambitious capital spending plans, including Fab build-outs. I hope I’m wrong.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel...212852310.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bf792052...-earnings.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/compa...ycsrp_catchall

Old 01-27-2023, 11:36 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Intel Q4’22 fiscal results were a complete disaster. Q1’23 forecasts slashed.

<Intel Corp. is forecasting one of the worst quarters in its history, touching off a broader selloff of chips companies as a slowdown in personal-computer sales ravages the industry.>

<First-quarter sales will be $10.5 billion to $11.5 billion, the chipmaker said. That compares with an average Wall Street estimate of $14 billion. Intel expects to lose 15 cents in the quarter, excluding some items. Analysts had projected a profit of 25 cents.>

Q4 PC Client revenue down 35% YoY.
Q4 Data Center revenue down 41% YoY

Intel continues to hemorrhage market share to AMD, and fall further behind on manufacturing technology vs. TSMC. The issues run deeper than the typical market cycle ups-and-downs.

If this bloodbath continues throughout 2023, IMO, Intel will need to revisit its ambitious capital spending plans, including Fab build-outs. I hope I’m wrong.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel...212852310.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bf792052...-earnings.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/compa...ycsrp_catchall
The jobs are more important than investor profits...hopefully they won't let this derail them

Old 01-28-2023, 05:42 PM
on3

498 posts, read 386,392 times
Fashion designers vs intel chip designers. Town isn't big enough for the both of them. There's going to be some new players for sure. Things could get spicy! Could make for some interesting PTA meetings and board meetings in New Albany lol.

We know who will win the battle of the brains in such a face off. It's like when the starting QB realizes that he's about to be replaced and regulated to bench duty.

Get the popcorn ready and enjoy the show!

Old 01-28-2023, 05:51 PM

Encouraging that Intel has halted/paused: The Portland R&D building, the German fab, and the Israel fab expansion. Plus the layoffs. But no word on any impacts to the Ohio fabs. Both AMD and Intel have about the same market cap, so its not like Intel is going away. I do agree that AMD has some market advantage, and they got the better FPGA prize in Xilinx (Intel bought Altera). It is nice to see AMD have a technical upper hand, having played 2nd fiddle for so long to Intel.

Old 01-29-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Encouraging that Intel has halted/paused: The Portland R&D building, the German fab, and the Israel fab expansion. Plus the layoffs. But no word on any impacts to the Ohio fabs. Both AMD and Intel have about the same market cap, so its not like Intel is going away. I do agree that AMD has some market advantage, and they got the better FPGA prize in Xilinx (Intel bought Altera). It is nice to see AMD have a technical upper hand, having played 2nd fiddle for so long to Intel.
Yeah, the frenetic cost-cutting has commenced.

In the face of deteriorating financial performance, Intel is stubbornly sticking to its generous shareholder dividend payouts…$6B last year alone. Analysts are putting increased scrutiny on this practice, as those expenses (generally speaking) pull from the same cash pot required to fund all their strategic investments, including the OH fabs. Their CEO admits as much here.

<<“We are committed to the dividend and to a very healthy and competitive dividend," Gelsinger said. "We're also making big long-term strategic investments, so we're putting all of that together and looking very carefully at the capital allocation priorities for the company overall, even as we remain committed to rewarding our shareholders with the dividend.">>

https://news.yahoo.com/intel-ceo-we-...200351998.html

Frankly, if this carnage continues into the back half of 2023, IMO it would be a stretch to keep the OH Fab build-out schedules intact. Their current factories are under loaded, PC/Server demand has plummeted, they are forecasting a loss for Q1 ‘23, and have given up on any attempt at forecasting revenue for the full year.

It takes an iron stomach to look at that mess and decide to keep building expensive new factories and adding production capacity regardless. I give them credit if they don’t blink.

Last edited by SlideRules99; 01-29-2023 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-29-2023, 11:00 AM

Those OH fabs are TBD for sure. I think there are some global conditions that will keep them on track:
* Insecurity at competing places to build fabs, such as Taiwan, Germany, and even Europe in general.
* China will continue to decrease as a global provider of contract manufacturing and low to mid end integrated circuits. This is due to demographics, poor leadership, the US & Europe cutting them off from high technology, and their reliance on imports to sustain their food supply.
* The US Govt's desire to on-shore mid to high end chip fabrication. This along with the supply chain problems presented by the two points above, should allow significant investment with revenue in US fabs.

Old 01-29-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Those OH fabs are TBD for sure. I think there are some global conditions that will keep them on track:
* Insecurity at competing places to build fabs, such as Taiwan, Germany, and even Europe in general.
* China will continue to decrease as a global provider of contract manufacturing and low to mid end integrated circuits. This is due to demographics, poor leadership, the US & Europe cutting them off from high technology, and their reliance on imports to sustain their food supply.
* The US Govt's desire to on-shore mid to high end chip fabrication. This along with the supply chain problems presented by the two points above, should allow significant investment with revenue in US fabs.
This is all true. But global chip demand is slackening, and Intel’s existing factories are under-utilized. It is very expensive to sustain factory capacity that is not being used, let alone build new fabs when demand is uncertain.

They will not add new factories unless they are confident those fabs will be loaded/utilized. It’s classic supply/demand management.

What’s working in Ohio’s favor is that there is ample time for the market to recover, and for new foundry business to be won, before the fabs are scheduled to come on-line.

Like I said, if Intel doesn’t blink, I’ll give them a ton of credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio