Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 06:53 PM

469 posts, read 435,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Over on the Chicago forum, many are chalking up their city’s first population growth in decades as the first sign of a reverse migration away from super hot areas that will only get worse with climate change.
I think the power outages and virus resurgence this year woke up a certain amount of people down south that year-round summer may not be worth it if the rest of your day-to-day life can go to crap at any time because of gunslinging politicians who value the theory of extreme individualism over the implications of its (non)practicality in real life.
Interesting theory, but couple things:

1) 2020 census (begun Apr 2020) would not be picking up any appreciable COVID driven movement, including any of the recent Delta variant stuff and associated political posturing.

2) Illinois was one of only 3 states to lose population outright. On average, states in the West and South grew the fastest. TX and FL grew at 16% and 15%, respectively.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tes-in-america

I happen to believe there WILL be a net future population migration back into the Midwest and NE as a result of climate change. Heck, I’m one such data point.

However, if anyone is looking for objective evidence of that in 2020 census data, I just don’t see it. I personally believe future surveys will pick up on the trend, though.

BTW, the acute (existential threat) type climate events are happening more in the West than the South. Swaths of the West are burning and/or choked with wildfire smoke. Cities are running out of water (e.g., Mendocino CA). Unprecedented heat waves are generating casualties. This is all happening as we speak. I personally know people who have had it, and are planning escapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 06:57 PM

194 posts, read 190,997 times
Quote:
Over on the Chicago forum, many are chalking up their city’s first population growth in decades as the first sign of a reverse migration away from super hot areas that will only get worse with climate change.
I think the power outages and virus resurgence this year woke up a certain amount of people down south that year-round summer may not be worth it if the rest of your day-to-day life can go to crap at any time because of gunslinging politicians who value the theory of extreme individualism over the implications of its (non)practicality in real life.
Or maybe it's just that Chicago's population finally bottomed out. The Census definitely paints a different picture - Phoenix is the fastest growing big city in the U.S., and "warm" cities in TX, TN, and FL are exploding with growth.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:17 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,212,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Interesting theory, but couple things:

1) 2020 census (begun Apr 2020) would not be picking up any appreciable COVID driven movement, including any of the recent Delta variant stuff and associated political posturing.

2) Illinois was one of only 3 states to lose population outright. On average, states in the West and South grew the fastest. TX and FL grew at 16% and 15%, respectively.
Yeah well .. they gonna need some new blood because they be dying the fastest right now. Nature has a way of leveling the playing field
Quote:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tes-in-america

I happen to believe there WILL be a net future population migration back into the Midwest and NE as a result of climate change. Heck, I’m one such data point.

However, if anyone is looking for objective evidence of that in 2020 census data, I just don’t see it. I personally believe future surveys will pick up on the trend, though.

BTW, the acute (existential threat) type climate events are happening more in the West than the South. Swaths of the West are burning and/or choked with wildfire smoke. Cities are running out of water (e.g., Mendocino CA). Unprecedented heat waves are generating casualties. This is all happening as we speak. I personally know people who have had it, and are planning escapes.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:57 PM

469 posts, read 435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Yeah well .. they gonna need some new blood because they be dying the fastest right now. Nature has a way of leveling the playing field
I thought this was a climate change migration thread. Oh well…

Old 08-19-2021, 03:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
I was just reading a thread over on the Columbus Reddit about transportation that veered mostly into climate change. One poster mentioned moving from Phoenix to Columbus specifically because of climate change and that they were actively engaged in trying to get move people to make the move from the Southwest. It's definitely happening to some degree.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Or maybe it's just that Chicago's population finally bottomed out. The Census definitely paints a different picture - Phoenix is the fastest growing big city in the U.S., and "warm" cities in TX, TN, and FL are exploding with growth.
Phoenix is nowhere near the fastest-growing big city. New York added like 4x what they did. I think New York added more people than just about any single city in America. If you're going by percentages, it's going to vastly skew the numbers. Actual feet on the ground matter more than percentage change from a lower base.

All of those places, except TN to a lesser degree, are also on borrowed time.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:54 PM

1,320 posts, read 870,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Phoenix is nowhere near the fastest-growing big city. New York added like 4x what they did. I think New York added more people than just about any single city in America. If you're going by percentages, it's going to vastly skew the numbers. Actual feet on the ground matter more than percentage change from a lower base.

Using this logic, did Phoenix grow faster than Columbus since it added more people?

Old 08-20-2021, 07:39 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
My family member who works for the Census has described this year's results as "interesting, but probably not useful."

Old 08-20-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Using this logic, did Phoenix grow faster than Columbus since it added more people?
Yes, it did.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:34 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,986,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

You "go by percentages" because that's what "fastest-growing" means: greatest rate of growth. You don't get to re-define words just because you don't like certain cities. Phoenix is the fastest-growing city with a population greater than 1 million: fact. You hate Phoenix: also fact. And that's about the end of that discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio