Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 AM

401 posts, read 2,606,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Columbus has no character to it at all. OSU is not the epitome of existence either. It's a great city for business and is clean and modern, and the cost of living is awesome, but there is no allure to it whatsoever. It's like one huge suburb with some tall buildings (i.e sprawled out shopping mega complexes, subdivision neighborhoods, and NO interesting architecture, history or "feel").
Wow, lets listen to the person who doesnt even live in Ohio. No interesting architecture or neighborhoods?? Please educate yourself, German Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Short North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ohio State University and High Street area alone are a sight to see and probably has the most business/restaurants/bars/interesting places than any other 3 or 4 miles in Ohio. Please stop talking about a state you obviously know nothing about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
READ my post! I said recently Cleveland has been showing growth. I also said metro area wise. Cleveland has had a growing metro area. Cleveland also has one of the fastest growing downtown population. Look into the facts first.
Quote:
The following metros in Ohio are growing: Columbus, Cincinnati, Akron, Canton, Dayton, and most of the smaller ones like Findlay and Marion. Cleveland has declined just a little bit, and is showing strong signs of growth in all areas of the metro.
Ok , there are a few areas of Cleveland that have gained one thousand people here and one thousand people there but please stop with the "strong signs of growth".

Parma -
2000 census - 85,655
2006 census - 80,009
Euclid -
2000 census - 52, 717
2006 census - 48, 717
Cleveland Heights -
2000 census - 49,958
2006 census - 47,097
Lakewood -
2000 census - 56,646
2006 census - 52,194

To give you an idea what "strong signs of growth" really is, see some of the Chicago suburbs -
Naperville -
2000 census - 128,358
2006 census - 142,901
Joliet -
2000 census - 106,221
2006 census - 142,702
Aurora -
2000 census - 142,990
2006 census - 170,617

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,382,047 times
scottie- you are stating your opinion as fact. and you are wrong. we spend alot of time in columbus(wife raised there). if you check with the state, cuyahoga county has more bar/restuarants permits/licences issued and active. and i didnt know ohio state football was a pro team as you seemed to imply.. even my wife who was born and raised in columbus comments all the time how much bigger and how much more there is to do in cleveland. as does all 8 of her brothers and sisters when they visit here.. im sorry , we like columbus but it will never be a cleveland. you are about half of clevelands metro,with half the bar/restuarant/entertainment options. just like cleveland will never be a chicago.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
scottie- you are stating your opinion as fact. and you are wrong. we spend alot of time in columbus(wife raised there). if you check with the state, cuyahoga county has more bar/restuarants permits/licences issued and active. and i didnt know ohio state football was a pro team as you seemed to imply.. even my wife who was born and raised in columbus comments all the time how much bigger and how much more there is to do in cleveland. as does all 8 of her brothers and sisters when they visit here..
You say that all I have stated is opinions. Well, you are doing the same thing. My wife and her brothers say Cleveland has more to do. How is that any different than my opinion?? If you say that Cuyahoga county has more bar permits than show me the facts. Dont just give me your wife's opinion

Quote:
and i didnt know ohio state football was a pro team as you seemed to imply
I didnt say it was a pro football team. Ohio State has a larger fan base than any Cleveland or Cincinnati pro team. Ohio State brings in more revenue and money than any other pro team in Ohio.

Quote:
you are about half of clevelands metro
I hope youre not referring to population when you say that Columbus is about half of Cleveland's metro.

Quote:
we like columbus but it will never be a cleveland.
Thanks goodness for that. I dont want Columbus to lose 500,000 people in 50 years. While everyone moves out of Cleveland to other places, more people from other places come to Columbus.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 AM

scottie- im not going to argue. if you think columbus is the best, great ! cleveland has 3 mil. in our metro and columbus has about 1.5 mil metro. tell me what columbus has that cleveland doesnt (besides osu). its a fact when we drive 6 miles south,east or west from downtown columbus you are already entering cornfields. also like ive said before. if you drive 30 miles east of columbus you are near buckeye lake. the same distance of 30 miles east of cleaveland you are still in our suburbs(mentor). in fact if u drive from our far east suburbs across the city to the far west suburbs its about 60 miles across.that is close to the equivalantof driving from downtown columbus to roughly mansfield without leaving the city. and the only reason columbus is considered ohios largest city is population in the city limits. columbus has no suburbs to speak of, no inner ring,middle ring or outer ring... i really want to know what columbus has to offer that cleveland doesnt !?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 AM

is it just me or does it seem like the columbus posters think columbus is huge and cleveland is small.people act like columbus has more pro sports, taller buildings, more history, more culture, more everything...more,better,bigger ! i suppose you have a great lake with all the water sports/recreation and beaches too !! get real columbus .

Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,948,860 times
I myself prefer Cleveland's history, architecture, cultural institutions, suburbs, downtown and sports history to Columbus. I've spend a lot of time in both cities and most of both city's suburbs. To me, Cleveland is the clear winner.

Don't get me wrong, i love Ohio state, but downtown C-bus is just blah looking. Please don't try and change my mind by posting pictures, i already know what it looks like. I prefer old cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh to Columbus.

To me Columbus and it's suburbs are urban sprawl at it's worst. If anyone has ever been to Boardman (near Youngstown), i always describe Columbus as Boardman on steroids times 50. It's just ugly big box stores on every corner. Just about everywhere you go in Columbus there is a Home Depot, a Giant Eagle, Kohl's and Target. Most areas of the Columbus Metro look very similar and bland with neighborhoods that are filled w/cookie-cutter mcmansions. I do have to admit that i do like the area along the Olentangy River, but other than that I'm not impressed.

I know it's not for everyone, but I'll stick to towns like Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown and Pittsburgh. Many people are so down on this area. People write it off as the rust belt that will never recover. I disagree, but that is for another argument.

I'll take the character, history, beautiful homes and suburbs of NE Ohio every time. I refuse to follow the path of so many of my peers. You will never see me move to Columbus.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 88,850 times
1. Cleveland
2. Columbus
3. Cincinnati
4. Toledo
5. Dayton
6. Akron

Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM

59 posts, read 228,756 times
Anyone who would pick Toledo or Dayton over Akron hasn't lived in Akron.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
scottie- im not going to argue. if you think columbus is the best, great ! cleveland has 3 mil. in our metro and columbus has about 1.5 mil metro. tell me what columbus has that cleveland doesnt (besides osu). its a fact when we drive 6 miles south,east or west from downtown columbus you are already entering cornfields. also like ive said before. if you drive 30 miles east of columbus you are near buckeye lake. the same distance of 30 miles east of cleaveland you are still in our suburbs(mentor). in fact if u drive from our far east suburbs across the city to the far west suburbs its about 60 miles across.that is close to the equivalantof driving from downtown columbus to roughly mansfield without leaving the city.
First of all get your facts straight.

Cleveland metro - 2,114,155 (It was 2,148,143 in the year 2000 meaning it has lost some of its population.)

Columbus metro - 1,725, 570 (It was 1,612,694 in 2000, a little bit over a 110,000 people gain)

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gimme a frickin break. Youre tyring to make it sound like Cleveland is HUGE and stetches everywhere compared to Columbus. You can drive 15 miles from Cleveland and be in cornfields too. Clevelands population is only about 390,000 more people and you make it sound like we are comparing Chicago to Fort Wayne. Sure Cleveland's metro is bigger but stop exagerrating, its pathetic

Quote:
tell me what columbus has that cleveland doesnt (besides osu).
Alot nicer weather, nicer suburbs, better shopping venues, better jobs and economy

Quote:
i suppose you have a great lake with all the water sports/recreation and beaches too
Did anybody say they did? Plus, how often do you get to enjoy that, like 1 month of the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio