Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,917,737 times

Advertisements

Columbus is not Ohio's only growing city. Cincinnati is growing too. Most of our metro areas are growing as well. This is not Michigan where we are seeing every city decline in population.

The following metros in Ohio are growing: Columbus, Cincinnati, Akron, Canton, Dayton, and most of the smaller ones like Findlay and Marion. Cleveland has declined just a little bit, and is showing strong signs of growth in all areas of the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,459,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Columbus is not Ohio's only growing city. Cincinnati is growing too. Most of our metro areas are growing as well. This is not Michigan where we are seeing every city decline in population.

The following metros in Ohio are growing: Columbus, Cincinnati, Akron, Canton, Dayton, and most of the smaller ones like Findlay and Marion. Cleveland has declined just a little bit, and is showing strong signs of growth in all areas of the metro.
we're south michigan, and they're north ohio.

our economies are joined at the hip. when detroit and the old metro was showing signs of coming back the past few years, everywhere but columbus and the cincinnati burbs were shrinking. just a temporary shift, that's all. if it wasn't for a weak economy and college football, what would we brag about to each other?

Old 03-01-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
we're south michigan, and they're north ohio.

our economies are joined at the hip. when detroit and the old metro was showing signs of coming back the past few years, everywhere but columbus and the cincinnati burbs were shrinking. just a temporary shift, that's all. if it wasn't for a weak economy and college football, what would we brag about to each other?

SW Ohio, very progessive like you stated. Michigan is failing all over. Their unemployment rate is soaring. Ohio's is staying balanced. NE Ohio has an average unemployment rate of 6.1%, compare that to SE Michigan of over 14%. I would say there is something to brag about there lol. BTW, Cleveland is doing a great job bringing in new jobs and creating a diverse economy. Detroit is stuck on the auto industry, which we all know is doing so well.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 PM

245 posts, read 1,275,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
(in no particular order) 10 cities to rank

Dayton-Springfield
Canton
Toledo
Cleveland
Lima
Columbus
Youngstown
Akron
Marion
Cincinnati

1. Cleveland. Very East Coast appearing and behaving. Eclectic mix of old world European influences which puts it above Cincinnati (which is German, Black, and Hillbilly).
2. Cincinnati. Very East Coast Appearing but behaves like the South. Gets a bad rap for being conservative but locals know very well that the city itself is very liberal and the art scene is very edgy putting Columbus to shame anyday.

*** I would say Cleveland and Cincinnati could be a tie, but Cleveland trumps Cincinnati because of Lake Erie (Cincinnati's Lake Erie is Kentucky) and it's proximity to Toronto, Chicago and New York. Cleveland also knows that it's north of the Mason-Dixon Line and doesn't try to argue otherwise.

Cleveland and Cincinnati are both VERY different from each other. Different countries. Different planets. The only similarities that I can think of are the mix of blue collar & old money, prestigious private high schools, and intense city pride by the locals of both cities.

3. Columbus. Low / No Character, No identity beyond OSU football. But the economy grows steadily during recessions, and Columbus doesn't carry the old baggage of other Ohio cities. Definitely the most progressive minded big Ohio city. But Columbus doesn't carry the legacy of Cleveland and Cincinnati and because of this it will ALWAYS be number 3 in Ohio.

Drop off by about 20 points here...

4. Dayton. Dayton and Springfield ARE NOT connected to each other. They share the same "govt. statistical data area" and they share NBC/CBS/ABC/FM radio affiliates but that's where the connection ends.

Dayton's very much it's own city with a skyline (building heights half of those in Columbus), good museums (in Ohio, DAI's' permanant collection is only rivaled by Cleveland's art museum), and an edgy art scene. The city suffers from urban blight, and the metro area resembles metro Detroit when you consider the mix of blighted city hoods and moneyed burbs. (with Oakwood being Dayton's Grosse Pointe).

*** I rate Dayton over Akron / Toledo because of it's proximity to Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indy. You can get to all three within 40-60 minutes from pretty much anywhere in Dayton. ***

5. Akron: It's a suburb of Cleveland, but many of the best Cleveland burbs are between Cleveland and Akron. Akron imploded all of their cool downtown buildings in the 60's / 70's and replaced them with Mike Brady Monstrosities. You can sometimes catch footage of this in an Akron documentary on PBS where the implosion festival is set to disco music. Show this to your historic preservation friends and make them cry.

6. Toledo. Trapped in the worst corner of Ohio, with easy proximity to... ...Detroit ! Toledo doesn't have it's own airport, and Toledo people love to brag about their Zoo. Toledo also runs tourism ads in the rest of Ohio begging people to visit Toledo for their zoo.

7. Youngstown: I would prefer to rate Ytown over Akron and Toledo because of it's ongoing heavy hitting mafia activity and the best Italian food in the Midwest. Olive Garden built a restaurant here and the mafia burned it down repeatedly. ...as they should have. Seriously if you're ever near this town sample the Italian food it's awesome. I don't like to glorify the Mafia, but let's face it they make for entertaining news headlines.

8. Springfield: Probably the only Ohio city worse than Youngstown, but instead of good Italian food Springfield is one huge welfare recipient. Downtown Springfield's only operating building is the county jail. When you watch Dayton news and the story is about people burning down each other's trailers while fighting over a winning scratch off ticket, you can bet it's probably in the Springfield area.

I'm not going to rate Canton, Lima or Marion. If I knew anything about these places you have to know I'd just rip on them in this forum.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
1. Cleveland. Very East Coast appearing and behaving. Eclectic mix of old world European influences which puts it above Cincinnati (which is German, Black, and Hillbilly).
2. Cincinnati. Very East Coast Appearing but behaves like the South. Gets a bad rap for being conservative but locals know very well that the city itself is very liberal and the art scene is very edgy putting Columbus to shame anyday.

*** I would say Cleveland and Cincinnati could be a tie, but Cleveland trumps Cincinnati because of Lake Erie (Cincinnati's Lake Erie is Kentucky) and it's proximity to Toronto, Chicago and New York. Cleveland also knows that it's north of the Mason-Dixon Line and doesn't try to argue otherwise.

Cleveland and Cincinnati are both VERY different from each other. Different countries. Different planets. The only similarities that I can think of are the mix of blue collar & old money, prestigious private high schools, and intense city pride by the locals of both cities.

3. Columbus. Low / No Character, No identity beyond OSU football. But the economy grows steadily during recessions, and Columbus doesn't carry the old baggage of other Ohio cities. Definitely the most progressive minded big Ohio city. But Columbus doesn't carry the legacy of Cleveland and Cincinnati and because of this it will ALWAYS be number 3 in Ohio.

Drop off by about 20 points here...

4. Dayton. Dayton and Springfield ARE NOT connected to each other. They share the same "govt. statistical data area" and they share NBC/CBS/ABC/FM radio affiliates but that's where the connection ends.

Dayton's very much it's own city with a skyline (building heights half of those in Columbus), good museums (in Ohio, DAI's' permanant collection is only rivaled by Cleveland's art museum), and an edgy art scene. The city suffers from urban blight, and the metro area resembles metro Detroit when you consider the mix of blighted city hoods and moneyed burbs. (with Oakwood being Dayton's Grosse Pointe).

*** I rate Dayton over Akron / Toledo because of it's proximity to Cincinnati, Columbus, and Indy. You can get to all three within 40-60 minutes from pretty much anywhere in Dayton. ***

5. Akron: It's a suburb of Cleveland, but many of the best Cleveland burbs are between Cleveland and Akron. Akron imploded all of their cool downtown buildings in the 60's / 70's and replaced them with Mike Brady Monstrosities. You can sometimes catch footage of this in an Akron documentary on PBS where the implosion festival is set to disco music. Show this to your historic preservation friends and make them cry.

6. Toledo. Trapped in the worst corner of Ohio, with easy proximity to... ...Detroit ! Toledo doesn't have it's own airport, and Toledo people love to brag about their Zoo. Toledo also runs tourism ads in the rest of Ohio begging people to visit Toledo for their zoo.

7. Youngstown: I would prefer to rate Ytown over Akron and Toledo because of it's ongoing heavy hitting mafia activity and the best Italian food in the Midwest. Olive Garden built a restaurant here and the mafia burned it down repeatedly. ...as they should have. Seriously if you're ever near this town sample the Italian food it's awesome. I don't like to glorify the Mafia, but let's face it they make for entertaining news headlines.

8. Springfield: Probably the only Ohio city worse than Youngstown, but instead of good Italian food Springfield is one huge welfare recipient. Downtown Springfield's only operating building is the county jail. When you watch Dayton news and the story is about people burning down each other's trailers while fighting over a winning scratch off ticket, you can bet it's probably in the Springfield area.

I'm not going to rate Canton, Lima or Marion. If I knew anything about these places you have to know I'd just rip on them in this forum.

LOL your posts are so out of wack. You base your opinion as a fact.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 PM

353 posts, read 1,709,122 times
I thought YoMikey's post was a fair reply to the O.P. The OP wanted to have the cities ranked, not on selective blissful statistics, but rather opinions. He did so. We express opinions in America. Perhaps in a court of law opinions can not be entered as fact, but this is not a court of law. This forum is a free, constructive expression of opinions, designed to be heckle free.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
I thought YoMikey's post was a fair reply to the O.P. The OP wanted to have the cities ranked, not on selective blissful statistics, but rather opinions. He did so. We express opinions in America. Perhaps in a court of law opinions can not be entered as fact, but this is not a court of law. This forum is a free, constructive expression of opinions, designed to be heckle free.

Im sorry I must have mistaken him for you. Nevermind, I thought it was Mikieo415 just wanting to bash Ohio AGAIN, and god forbid anyone move here. Opinions are great! Sorry YoMikey.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:53 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,446,185 times
Default Please see CD Forum rules!

Back to the original topic, please!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM

656 posts, read 2,319,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
Yeah, Toledo has airport. It's out west of 475 on Airport Highway. It's not an international, and is cozy but I've flown out from Toledo before.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM

656 posts, read 2,319,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Lima shouldnt even be a choice, i dont understand why anyone would want to live in tiny decayed farmtown surrounded by nothing but cornfields for 60 miles each way.
Thanks, Buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio