Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times

Advertisements

Dayton #1

All the rest in no particular order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:59 PM

23 posts, read 109,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
I'd like to hear how people would RANK these cities in Ohio, from BEST (favorite).....to worst (least favorite).

When I say city, this also includes the immediate suburbs, of that city.

Please feel free to add another Ohio city, if I didn't include one below:

(in no particular order) 10 cities to rank

Dayton-Springfield
Canton
Toledo
Cleveland
Lima
Columbus
Youngstown
Akron
Marion
Cincinnati
1. Cincinnati 2. Toledo 3. Columbus 4. Cleveland 5. Findlay! (great place for family, and no i dont live there) 6. Dayton (flyers!) 7. Marion 8. Akron 9. Lima 10. Canton 11. Y-town

Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,620 times
1) Columbus

It is growing at a very good pace, the economy is by far the best in the state, it continues to become more diverse, it was rated the #1 city in America for African-Americans to live in by BET (Black Entertainment Television). OHIO STATE, the bar and restaurant scene cant even be compared to other Ohio cities, there are shopping centers and developments you cant find anywhere else in the state, the weather is milder, and if you like golf, there seems to be way more golf courses here than anywhere else in the state (including Muirfield and Tartan Fields).

The Columbus dispatch did an entire week story and each day they wrote a story and gave stats about a different Ohio city and showed how Columbus is truly Ohio's gem while the other Ohio cities continue to somewhat decline.

2) Toss-up between Cincinnati and Cleveland
4) Dayton
5) Marion
6) Toledo
7) Akron
and Youngstown is probably last

Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Cleveland has declined just a little bit, and is showing strong signs of growth in all areas of the metro.
Just a little bit....hmm, 50 years ago Cleveland's population was something like 914,000. Now its something like 445,000. Thats more than just a little bit

Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Just a little bit....hmm, 50 years ago Cleveland's population was something like 914,000. Now its something like 445,000. Thats more than just a little bit
Most major metros in the US that were early boomers (Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, STL, etc ...) have declined in incredible amounts since their peak populations. This has a lot to do with industry and transportation changes and shifts through the years ... among other things.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
scottie... you must be kidding. the bar/restuarant scene in cleveland is MUCH larger and more diverse/ethnic than columbus. not even close. the older cities like cleveland and cincy have decades apon decades of history/culture that a newer city like columbus has not experienced yet...... now to answer the question. #1- cleveland ( 3 pro sports) #2- cincy (2 pro sports) #3- columbus (1 pro sport) and the rest in no order.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
scottie... you must be kidding. the bar/restuarant scene in cleveland is MUCH larger and more diverse/ethnic than columbus. not even close. the older cities like cleveland and cincy have decades apon decades of history/culture that a newer city like columbus has not experienced yet...... now to answer the question. #1- cleveland ( 3 pro sports) #2- cincy (2 pro sports) #3- columbus (1 pro sport) and the rest in no order.
1watertiger, you're forgetting the Cincinnati Masters.

http://www.tennistours.com/event_pages/other/cincinnati/images/_atp_Cincinatti2.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post

READ my post! I said recently Cleveland has been showing growth. I also said metro area wise. Cleveland has had a growing metro area. Cleveland also has one of the fastest growing downtown population. Look into the facts first.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,880 times
Columbus has no character to it at all. OSU is not the epitome of existence either. It's a great city for business and is clean and modern, and the cost of living is awesome, but there is no allure to it whatsoever. It's like one huge suburb with some tall buildings (i.e sprawled out shopping mega complexes, subdivision neighborhoods, and NO interesting architecture, history or "feel").

Seriously, what reason would a tourist ever have to visit Cbus other than a football game?

I would say

1. Cleveland
2. Cincy
3. Toledo
4. Akron
5. Dayton

and I have only driven through any other 5 so I can't really comment. Most are the same though.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post

Uhm, actually not. The Gateway near campus takes the belt as the best bar scene in Ohio. There are so many bars near Ohio State and also alot of great places in the Arena Districts, German Village, and a few decent ones in the Short North (tons of great restaurants here).

Lastly, there is not only 1 pro sport in Columbus. Ohio State is the most liked and most popular team in Ohio. The coverage and hype around here in bar-none to anything you could ever experience for a browns/bengals, or reds/indians, or cavaliers game

Last edited by scottie; 03-06-2008 at 01:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio