Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 PM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times

Advertisements

I for one have zero hate for Ohio! In fact, every visit has been pleasant and I can't wait to move there!

Thumbs up for me and I'm an unabashed cheerleader of the place I call home, so Don't Mess With Ohio, cause it's soon to be my home state and YOU will have ME to contend with.

"I do believe if you don't like things you leave..." Lou Reed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,671,237 times
I would say the item I dislike the most about Ohio is its backward energy policy. It had to be forced to clean up its act with regard to its coal power plants as all the pollution drifted downwind into the Northeast less than a few deades ago. Now it is dealing with the natural gas fracking debacle and I have a feeling it won't end well due to little in the way of regs or zoning in the rural counties.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
Having lived and traveled around the country I can see where some of the boring comments come from, but you just have to be willing to look around a little more to find some great things here.
Unless you live in... I don't know... Lima? Stuebenville? I don't get the "boring" comment even a little.
There is always something going on here.
Heck, usually I have to pick and choose my events and pass on things I want to do because there is just too much stuff going on every weekend.

In Cleveland, anyway...

Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM

14,707 posts, read 14,685,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would say the item I dislike the most about Ohio is its backward energy policy. It had to be forced to clean up its act with regard to its coal power plants as all the pollution drifted downwind into the Northeast less than a few deades ago. Now it is dealing with the natural gas fracking debacle and I have a feeling it won't end well due to little in the way of regs or zoning in the rural counties.
Such regulations are seen as "anti-business" and unnecessary by our leadership, where it's all jobs, jobs, jobs. As long as someone can eat today, they don't have to worry about tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,671,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Such regulations are seen as "anti-business" and unnecessary by our leadership, where it's all jobs, jobs, jobs. As long as someone can eat today, they don't have to worry about tomorrow.
Which is why the general attitude in the state is "out of sight out of mind" even though Ohio is the national leader in the transportation of fracking waste through the state... Also, the fracking in southeast Ohio could deal a deadly blow to the tourism industry there and keep retirees from moving there as well.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM

122 posts, read 482,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I'm from MI, lived in OH for 2 yrs. Loved it. Hubby is from OH. I never really figured out what was in OH until I lived there - can't wait to move back. We have several reasons we will not move back to MI. Lake Michigan is my all time favorite destination, but I do well on Lake Erie. Just spent last Saturday at the Maumee Bay State Park and had a wonderful time.

My favorite OH destination - Put in Bay.

Several state parks on the eastern side of the state are fantastic, too.
Heading up there in a few weeks and can't wait to see the fall foliage along I-77 from Marietta through Amish country, on our way to Akron & Cleveland. I love October in Ohio.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,006,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I've never heard the second two complaints, but that might be because I'm from a different part of Ohio.

Everyone hates where they're from. It's natural. People complain about different things, but they all complain about something. Nowhere's perfect, and if you're young you'll find a reason to leave home. I know I have.

Well, my wife and I back in 2000 on our honeymoon met a couple from the suburbs of NYC. We became good friends, but the one thing they said was that we had a "country accent." They had never been to Ohio prior to meeting us, but they had it in their head that Ohio was all rural and nothing but farms. Now I'll grant you, once you get out of the Cleveland-Akron area and head south, it does get pretty rural. That stretch on 71 between Cleveland and Columbus is God's country. At any rate, we went and visited them in NY and then they came here to visit us. Being near Cleveland, and the suburb that we lived in at the time they first thought they were rich, because of the homes around us. We then took them downtown, and while downtown Cleveland isn't Manhattan, the Flats were still doing well, and they actually were impressed. They then said that we were actually more civilized and urban than they thought. DUH! It's the 7th most populous state in the country! I found there initial stereotype of Ohio to be quite funny.

Having lived here all of my life, I personally find a lot of good qualities about Ohio. Yeah the weather sucks, but it isn't all doom and gloom here as everyone seems to think. If someone can't find anything to do in the 7th most populous state in the country with 3 large metropolitan areas (4 if we count Toledo) then it's hard to imagine that they would be happy anywhere.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklesla View Post
Ohio is gray......just like any other place east of the mississippi including over 50% of the US. Some cloudy days, cold, rain, snow and humid. To compare it to California or to even say the weather is ****ty is sad.

I wonder if my lawn this summer thinks Ohio is gray all the time.
Since I have lived in northern Ohio for a while and never really got the "gray" argument, I decideed to keep count. It's 9/21. I have logged 161 sunny days so far this year up in the Cleveland area. The qualifier is that we had to have 6 hours of sun between 6 am and 6 pm in order for it to count. Yes, clouds could be in the sky as it is very possible to have a bright sunny day with clouds on the horizon.

Yes, we do get rain and snow. And thank God for that. But, the real truth is that more than half of our days have plenty of sunshine.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,418,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, my wife and I back in 2000 on our honeymoon met a couple from the suburbs of NYC. We became good friends, but the one thing they said was that we had a "country accent." They had never been to Ohio prior to meeting us, but they had it in their head that Ohio was all rural and nothing but farms.
Perception is not reality.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,458 times
People think Ohio is ship of fools because they are being so easily manipulated by Obama. If they had any guts the polls would show him losing big time here. Welcome to WW3 thanks to the suckers in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio