Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Romney has alot of factors working for him. I think voter turn out will be huge in this election, less for Obama, charged up voters for Romney. Black voters were huge for Obama in '08 (96%), polls currently at 87% and count on less turn out. Romney will have alot more money to spend going into the elections.
Romney's main advantage is that he and Ryan appeal directly to the GOP base, which let's face it, is made up of the very extreme right. So they will excite those people and get them out to vote, but these are the same people who were going to go out and vote against Obama anyway. Romney's VP pick bounce has already faded away and polling has returned to show Obama ahead, both in a good portion of the swing states and in national polls (which mean less than state polling). Romney will get a bounce from the convention, but so will Obama so that'll be a wash. If the economy doesn't change or continues to slowly improve, Romney is going to have to count on the debates. He's far more gaffe-prone than Obama, teleprompter or not and often comes across as completely out of touch. He shares none of GWB's common-man charisma and a poorly-run campaign so far has been largely defensive instead of offensive. Considering how the GOP paints Obama's performance and the economy, a strong GOP candidate would/should probably be well ahead of him by now. Obama has vulnerabilities, but the GOP have chosen perhaps the weakest candidate in recent memory. There is nothing out there to suggest that Romney is suddenly going to come up with an election game changer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
I don't have the time to rebuke most of your comments. IMO America can't afford another four years of Obama dividing the country and spending us into the poor house and never accepting blame for all the policy mistakes he has made.
To "rebuke" them...? It's pretty difficult to "rebuke" or refute what is factual.

Another buried fact in all of the Republican rhetoric is that Obama's tenure has yielded less spending growth per capita than any of his GOP predecessors. So, if anything, that is heading in the right direction as well. But, as the GOP rhetoric goes: "Deficits don't matter." - VP Dick Cheney ...that is, unless there's a Democrat in the White House. Then, that's all that seems to matter even though the guy who was in office for 8 years before him contributed to it massively.

All Presidents make mistakes. Bush made about a thousand of them. So did Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, etc. It's just that, given the popular sentiment which clearly shows Obama in the lead, the GOP going to be hard pressed to unseat an incumbent with a dubious candidate like Mitt Romney. Anything is possible but, even if it does happen, there won't be the landslide that this prediction states.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Do any of you realize that it doesn't matter who you vote for ? You don't elect the President, the Electoral college does! If not 1 person went to the polls, the President would still be elected. Remember Bush/Gore ? Al won the popular vote but George got the job. It's true that when you vote for your States Representatives, you are second-handily voting for the Pres because THEY are the ones that make up the Electoral college. I'm convinced that most voters do not know this.
I'm sure that the informed electorate is well aware of the EC. Furthermore, the delegates of the EC are as a direct result of the popular vote by state. You seem to believe that the EC is made up of the people voted into the House of Representatives. That is clearly not true. It's possible for the House members to be delegates, but the House IS NOT the Electoral College. The ratio of delegates by state is the same as that of the House members plus the Senate (535 + 3 for Washington DC = 538). The electors/delegates for each state are appointed by committee by each party to certify that each electoral vote from that state will go towards the Electoral Vote count of their candidate.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Do any of you realize that it doesn't matter who you vote for ? You don't elect the President, the Electoral college does! If not 1 person went to the polls, the President would still be elected. Remember Bush/Gore ? Al won the popular vote but George got the job. It's true that when you vote for your States Representatives, you are second-handily voting for the Pres because THEY are the ones that make up the Electoral college. I'm convinced that most voters do not know this.
Well, that's why Ohio is considered such an important state in the election and we're being asked our opinion on a forum people like Znguy would otherwise not think to visit. Popular vote in Texas or California won't matter as much, but popular vote in Ohio and Florida certainly will.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM

372 posts, read 465,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, that's why Ohio is considered such an important state in the election and we're being asked our opinion on a forum people like Znguy would otherwise not think to visit. Popular vote in Texas or California won't matter as much, but popular vote in Ohio and Florida certainly will.
Exactly! Other big populated states like California, Texas, Illinois and New York, most people can pretty much figure out which party those states will go with. States like Ohio and Florida are so important because they are 4th and 7th in population respectively and hold a pretty big political clout. They are called swing states because you never know which party they are going to go with. A few years ago Ohio was a red state, now, it's a blue state.

As for who I am voting for? It's going to be Obama. I know there are a lot of things the guy doesn't do right, but I can't blame him for much considering how divided Congress is right now. How the hell is anyone expected to get things done when the completely incompetent Congress sits and complains to complain? I trust Obama, I do not trust Romney.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,466 times
I no longer live in Ohio, where I was born and raised, but I'd be one of those people keeping Erie County blue.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Exactly! Other big populated states like California, Texas, Illinois and New York, most people can pretty much figure out which party those states will go with. States like Ohio and Florida are so important because they are 4th and 7th in population respectively and hold a pretty big political clout. They are called swing states because you never know which party they are going to go with. A few years ago Ohio was a red state, now, it's a blue state.

As for who I am voting for? It's going to be Obama. I know there are a lot of things the guy doesn't do right, but I can't blame him for much considering how divided Congress is right now. How the hell is anyone expected to get things done when the completely incompetent Congress sits and complains to complain? I trust Obama, I do not trust Romney.
hmm interesting...didn't Obama have a rubber stamp Congress his first two years where he could have passed just about anything...including a budget?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

372 posts, read 465,634 times
Quote:
hmm interesting...didn't Obama have a rubber stamp Congress his first two years where he could have passed just about anything...including a budget?
Oh, figured someone would bring that up. "Obama hasn't passed a budget for how long?" Yet, still doesn't hide the fact that Congress is divided (go ahead and put all the blame on Obama, isn't that what you guys do? It's always Obama's fault!) and harsh Republicans who sit around and watch Fox News all day come of with the same stuff day in and out. Broken records. By the way, I am a moderate, I just don't like Romney. John Kasich on the other hand... I feel the same way with him like I do Obama. Kasich doesn't always do things I agree with, but overall, I think he has done a really good job. We could be a mess like Michigan, North Carolina, Illinois, etc... yet we continue to outperform the nation.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM

189 posts, read 399,722 times
Gary Johnson.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Oh, figured someone would bring that up. "Obama hasn't passed a budget for how long?" Yet, still doesn't hide the fact that Congress is divided (go ahead and put all the blame on Obama, isn't that what you guys do? It's always Obama's fault!) and harsh Republicans who sit around and watch Fox News all day come of with the same stuff day in and out. Broken records. By the way, I am a moderate, I just don't like Romney. John Kasich on the other hand... I feel the same way with him like I do Obama. Kasich doesn't always do things I agree with, but overall, I think he has done a really good job. We could be a mess like Michigan, North Carolina, Illinois, etc... yet we continue to outperform the nation.
is there a 'statutes of limitation' on how many years Obama can keep blaming Bush for his bad decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio