Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 AM

375 posts, read 781,889 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting and informative thread for those who may be looking to relocate here. Feel free to add your own reasons. Caveat: I live in Cuyahoga County and my opinions may be specific to just this county.
===============================================

-Property taxes are TOO HIGH and grossly out of step with the local economy.

-School systems are in the toilet, yet they keep presenting levies each year to try to put a green band-aid on the issues effecting the schools...and of course that raises the property taxes on an already over-taxed population.

-Sales tax is TOO HIGH, and they are getting ready to raise it again in September. See above statement.

-CRIME: because the economy is in the toilet, people are getting desperate and gangs and violent crime are on the rise.

-Weather: Who needs short summers and long, cold as f*ck winters? I literally get to see my yard in full lush green for 4-5 months before everything begins to turn brown and die. And then here comes the snow...

-Pollution: Ohio, true to its manufacturing, steel belt history, is one of the most polluted states in the Union. 3 out of 7 people in my immediate family have all developed asthma living here.

-The People: Not all, but too many are cold, unfriendly, racist (but in that quiet, unconfrontational way), undereducated...I could go on and on. Most of them don't even make eye contact on the street, let alone say "hello".

-Entertainment: Football, Basketball...College Football, College Basketball...Baseball...and our teams mostly suck.

=============================================

There it is, my Ohio hate list. Thank God I'll be leaving this hell hole soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Vegabond, I hear you! I consider myself to be a positive person almost 100% of the time, however, I cannot remain optimistic about Ohio for all the same reasons, and some, that you previously stated! We have been trying to sell our home for 4 months now, but with the local economy,(lack of decent paying jobs to support a mortgage and lack of credit, I would assume also)...we haven't been able to sell! I simply feel trapped in this state....sorry to vent, just wanted to let you know I completely agree with you! P.S. That quiet, racist attitude is SO prevelant in NE Ohio, I am ashamed to admit it, but it's there. I don't understand how in 2007 people can be so ignorant as to judge a person based on skin color and not character????

Last edited by skyegirl; 08-01-2007 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM

375 posts, read 781,889 times
Skyegirl, goodluck selling your house! I wanted to add some things to my house to improve the property value, but of course the county auditor would have been out here with his note pad and measuring tape before the paint dried and the dust settled to PENALIZE me for making improvements to my home, so I said the hell with it! I've been in it long enough to make a profit when I move anyway, so I'll let the next suckers work on it.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:37 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,717 times
Default The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

I hear you on some of your points. I decided to break it up to give you a blow-by-blow synopsis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I thought this would be an interesting and informative thread for those who may be looking to relocate here. Feel free to add your own reasons. Caveat: I live in Cuyahoga County and my opinions may be specific to just this county.
===============================================
-Property taxes are TOO HIGH and grossly out of step with the local economy.
Agreed. I will always believe the government has relied too much on a ratchet based system for acquiring its tax money, which doesn't ease up when the time is necessary to adjust to current economic conditions.
Quote:
-School systems are in the toilet, yet they keep presenting levies each year to try to put a green band-aid on the issues effecting the schools...and of course that raises the property taxes on an already over-taxed population.
This is a sticky wicket. The Ohio Constitution requires the General Assembly to allocate sufficient tax dollars to fund an "adequate" education. There is argument over how these dollars are allocated, and knowing government in general, it will take forever and a day to sort out. The solution to this problem isn't cut and dry.
Quote:
-Sales tax is TOO HIGH, and they are getting ready to raise it again in September. See above statement.

Agreed. It and its service industry counterpart the CAT are disincentives to start and maintain business in Ohio. A serious effort in the Ohio congress must be started to identify what is vital for the government maintain, and what it truly cannot support. The government cannot be everything to everyone, but is trying.
Quote:
-CRIME: because the economy is in the toilet, people are getting desperate and gangs and violent crime are on the rise.

This is a more localized issue. There are plenty of low-crime areas in Ohio. Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of other crime ridden areas of America.
Quote:
-Weather: Who needs short summers and long, cold as f*ck winters? I literally get to see my yard in full lush green for 4-5 months before everything begins to turn brown and die. And then here comes the snow...

To gripe about the weather is to gripe about a snake having venom, or trees losing their leaves in the Fall. With all arguments of global warming aside, this would be a very difficult problem for humans to remedy. This is the hand nature dealt Ohio, and we a citizens have to make due.
Quote:
-Pollution: Ohio, true to its manufacturing, steel belt history, is one of the most polluted states in the Union. 3 out of 7 people in my immediate family have all developed asthma living here.

Agreed to a degree. Ohio may not be drowning in its own waste, but it definitely has its fair share of pollution. It would be nice if the local communities thought it more than just "not their trash," and organize pick-up parties for the sides of the road. We also have plenty of petty criminals who should get community service hours for doing this. I've also seen $500 dumping penalty signs posted here and there. Shouldn't we as a state enforce it more often?
Quote:
-The People: Not all, but too many are cold, unfriendly, racist (but in that quiet, unconfrontational way), undereducated...I could go on and on. Most of them don't even make eye contact on the street, let alone say "hello".

Another sticky wicket. I could speculate and conjecture for days what the causes are for this (as you may have), however will boil it down to a simile: race relation is like a Grand Ball with no one on the dance floor.

This is another national problem that won't go away anytime soon, nor is there any clear solution in sight. Attitude changes comes from within, no matter how loud you yell.

I will tell you, however, there are plenty of places on the East Coast (NYC and Philly are BIG offenders) where eye contact and pleasantries are almost verboten.

Quote:
-Entertainment: Football, Basketball...College Football, College Basketball...Baseball...and our teams mostly suck.

Strongly Disagree. "Entertainment" is such a subjective word, and I find what makes "Ho Hum!" to "Hooray!" is the company you keep. I went to Charlotte last week to catch up with a high school friend of mine, and we did things that are available to me in Ohio (i.e. the theater, hiking, fine dining, etc.). We had a blast!

Quote:
There it is, my Ohio hate list. Thank God I'll be leaving this hell hole soon.
That was a bit harsh. Although you have merit on some points, it is mostly a diatribe. May you find your peace, because the world could use a little less hate now more than ever.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Vagabond, quick question:

Where in Ohio do you live? ...Big city or small town/rural area? ...North or south of I70?

I'm only asking because, well, I do share some of your frustrations with Ohio. The weather here, for example, sucks statewide and there's nothing to do about it but move.

But certain other factors you listed vary considerably from one part of Ohio to another.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post

Attitude changes comes from within, no matter how loud you yell.

I will tell you, however, there are plenty of places on the East Coast (NYC and Philly are BIG offenders) where eye contact and pleasantries are almost verboten.
Yes! I like how you answered that. I for one, having seen a few other places in my time, am convinced that "cold, unfriendly, racist, undereducated" people can be found in every corner of the country. But no matter where you go in the USA, you can also find friendly, thoughtful, intelligent, kind and gracious people too!

This is one of those issues that can also stem from our own perceptions. Are we being the friendly and warm kind of people we'd hope to encounter, towards others?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM

56 posts, read 264,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Sales tax is TOO HIGH, and they are getting ready to raise it again in September.
Will the raise just be in Cuyahoga County (which already has the highest sales tax in the state at 7.5%!), or is it a statewide raise that I haven't heard about?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

56 posts, read 264,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Vagabond, quick question:

Where in Ohio do you live? ...Big city or small town/rural area? ...North or south of I70?
You must have missed the second sentence of Vagabond's post - "Caveat: I live in Cuyahoga County and my opinions may be specific to just this county."

Old 08-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBuckeye View Post
You must have missed the second sentence of Vagabond's post - "Caveat: I live in Cuyahoga County and my opinions may be specific to just this county."
Aw, geez...duuhhhh! How'd I miss that?!

And of course (having lived there myself before) ...no wonder Vagabond hates Ohio so much!!!

It really explains everything. His entire "rant" describes Cleveland to a tee. Yes, even the weather sucks worse there...

Last edited by LancasterNative; 08-01-2007 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-01-2007, 09:10 PM

55 posts, read 171,070 times
I 109% Agree With You Skyegirl And Vagabond, I Thought I Was Alone With These Feelings, And Yes You Couldn'tit State It Any Better, That Quiet Unconfrontational Racism, I Love Lancaster Respond,"there's Nothing To Do But Move", And That What I Hope To Do In A Year... I Hope The Best For You Guys, Hang In There For Now You're Not Alone.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio