Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:01 AM

34 posts, read 27,036 times

Advertisements

mayb not haha depend how u look @ it sweety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,912,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Sure Mich. is (was) heavily reliant on the auto industry. But c'mon Ohio is/was also huge into the auto industry as well. These two states are so similar in economy, climate, and culture. Both suffer from the malaise of that all rustbelt states suffer.
Speaking of rust, when was the last time you saw a rusty car? LOL. There isn't that much steel on cars anymore. A common sight in the 70s and 80s but I can't remember the last time I saw a car with any significant amount of rust.
Again, what world are you living in when Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are doing better than Cincinnati and Cleveland? If they even had half the economic output those cities have, let alone the amount of companies based there, culture, and diversity. Not to mention, Grand Rapids' unemployment rate is much higher than both the C's. Ann Arbor is mostly dependant on the univesity.

Cincinnati and Columbus are not rust belt. Unlike all of Michigan's major metros that are.

Ohio's economy is much more diverse than Michigan. Ohio is a large manufacturing state no doubt, but nothing compared to the likes of Michigan. Ohio diversified in the 80s and 90s when the steel and auto markets went south. Michigan didn't. It showed in this recession too. All 3C's had lower than the national average unemployment rates. Ohio is an insurance, banking, and medical hub.

Again with the roads... Really, come on, what world are you living in? Driving I-75 from Detroit to Toledo. There are nothing but potholes and rough surfaces on I-75, then you enter Ohio and the road surface raises 3 inches and gets smooth. The Ohio Turnpike is a road that Michigan could only dream of. And I am sorry, even off the interstates, Ohio's regional roads are in much better shape than Michigan's. To say otherwise is ammusing. I have crossed the border hundreds of times in both Ohio and Indiana. For instance, do a google map of the Toledo metro area. Do the little roads, and watch how much nicer the road surface is when you enter Ohio. I am just talking about rural residential streets.

Again with the noticeable things that are clear as day you are dismissing. Drive through most of Michigan where they seem to let things hang off the bottoms of their cars. There is rust, it is from the salt. Most states that drop salt have them, but seems like Michigan is severely dominate in this factor. It doesn't take much to look around and see the cars that are older. Take a ride through Detroit, I am sure you will see plenty. Most folks are driving cars from the 80s there. But I remember driving in Monroe, Michigan and seeing a dodge ram from the early 2000s that was rusted through the core.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:02 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,104,856 times
I know the medical/health field is growing in many places, but Cleveland is nationally known for it now. And even Columbus has taken some big steps lately. It's completing an $800 million dollar expansion of Nationwide Children's Hospital, making it the biggest children's hospital in the nation, and OSU has broken ground for the new $1.1 billion dollar medical center on campus.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 02-15-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,642,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I know the medical/health field is growing in many places, but Cleveland is nationally known for it now. And even Columbus has taken some big steps lately. It's completing and $800 million dollar expansion of Nationwide Children's Hospital, making it the biggest children's hospital in the nation, and OSU has broke ground for the new $1.1 billion dollar medical center on campus.
That is awesome news! I am loving what Columbus is doing right now. I got on the Cleveland Development Page and couldn't believe everything that was underway. I just moved to Cincinnati, and this city is doing projects on a grand scale.

And about Cleveland and the medical field. LOL hell, kings and queens are going there to get cared for. Add in University Hospital systems, and Cleveland is known on an international level.

I also have to agree with Traveler87. Michigan's roads are so much worse than Ohio's. I have pointed this out many times. I remember a few years back there being a thread which states had the worst and best roads, and Michigan was always near the top or number 1 with the worst roads. And Detroit and Flint are in terrible shape. Youngstown is Ohio's worst off city, and even they are experiencing a huge revival. Their downtown is something else. For instance, Flint, a city of similar size, has a dead downtown, and half of their highrises are abandoned or are in jeopardy of collapsing. Youngstown also has a lot of great cultural ammenities. Butler Art Institute, Youngstown Symphony, and Mill Creek Metroparks.

I moved to Ohio three years ago from Pennsylvania, and I am loving every minute of it. Such an underrated place, with so much to offer.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:40 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,112,576 times
As much as I love Detroit, Flint, and Michigan as a whole... Ohio has a LOT more going for it in terms of economy, upkeep, and quality of cities.

However, if you can telecommute, get a place on Lake Superior in Da Yoop.

Beautiful!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:03 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,606,493 times
Indian fall, invigoratingly fresh wind blowing from the North, this alone will remind you of Ohio.

Ohio (except maybe SE corner) offers a good balance of rural areas, towns and cities. Well developed (to the point of being excessive) transportation network. You don't feel like you are in the boonies, yet it doesn't feel /look crowded despite one of the highest population densities. Ohio has a pleasant mild climate, 4 seasons, water, sunshine, rolling hills, good soils. From a hobby farming/gardening standpoint, it can't get much better than Ohio. Yup, it's a rust belt, but what state isn't? I've been to 48 and it's all the same, rural&small town economies are/being annihilated, economic activities and consumption of all kinds are being concentrated in a few mega sprawls.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,508 times
Lord. No wonder We want to relocate for Our Retirement. Going South to Kentucky! Our area (Toledo) is getting worse & worse. Shoving us out of Our 30 yr. home because of rising costs and our disability retirement can't keep up. Our neighborhood was once a very nice SAFE place for our kids and now I have 4 Pedophiles within a 2 block radius and My Gr. Babies can't play in our yard for five minutes. God forbid. The jobs are leaving Ohio like in many other states, and our population is going down every year.
Let's leave the challenges between Ohio & Michigan for the games folks. I think we are better than that!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:12 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,472,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishiebiker View Post
Lord. No wonder We want to relocate for Our Retirement. Going South to Kentucky! Our area (Toledo) is getting worse & worse. Shoving us out of Our 30 yr. home because of rising costs and our disability retirement can't keep up. Our neighborhood was once a very nice SAFE place for our kids and now I have 4 Pedophiles within a 2 block radius and My Gr. Babies can't play in our yard for five minutes. God forbid. The jobs are leaving Ohio like in many other states, and our population is going down every year.
Let's leave the challenges between Ohio & Michigan for the games folks. I think we are better than that!
You may want to look at your new residence regarding the above. These days, I think thats fairly normal.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 4,508 times
Smile Moving...

Thanks for replying to my post. I have been looking for info on housing costs etc in Kentucky ,medical transfers ie how long it takes to get a Dr. set up for both Physical and Bipolar issues etc. and how hard it is to get the same Meds a Dr here is Prescribing for us etc. If they have a problem with picking up cases where they left off, then i guess We may be forced to stay. We will be buying not renting,and want to use cash settlement for a cozy hideaway or 1 bdrm near water or on it! We love to Ride (MC) and hope to find others with same attitude. We are friendly and outgoing. Have little to nothing to do with our time other than computer,reading, spending time with family, and getting out on the open road! If You can help with any info I would truly appreciate it.Thanks! TrishieBiker

Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,872,646 times
Ohio has Cedar Point, two MLB teams, two NFL teams, Lake Erie and the islands. Lots of opportunities for family relaxation and recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio