Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
As I said, it was meant as light-hearted humour. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
I think as far cities, economy, roads the two are nearly identical. Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids are far from decaying, Youngstown and Toledo are far from the picture of wealth. Plenty of Ohioans up here also. Can't help but notice the cars as they are driving 10 mph under the speed limit in the left lane everywhere.
Come on, now you are going to re-act when it was all in good humor? Flint, Saginaw, and Detroit are far worse than Youngstown and Toledo. If fact Detroit and Flint have come to Youngstown to study their Youngstown 2010 plan.

You are kidding with the roads. It is clear as day when you go from Ohio to Michigan. Hell, if I was blind and deaf I would be able to tell when I left Michigan and entered Ohio.

Your economy is almost completely reliant on the auto industry and it shows. There may be plenty of Ohioans in Michigan, but there are a hell of a lot more Michiganders in Ohio, not just visiting, but moving here. You want to talk about problem drivers? What about all the Michigan drivers on I-75 in SW Ohio that drive around in their rusty pieces of sh** weaving in and out of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,938,905 times
Oh my god people, reasons to live in Ohio, not NC and it's not about how bad MI sucks.........

Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Party cities don't pay the bills.

The fact of the truth is that it's the businesses that are leaving Ohio and the people are just following the companies.

Our family's business is commercial construction ans we are an established company in SW Ohio. We've seen this happening for a while now, the private work keeps getting more exclusive (not open to any contractors except the sole invited one) and public work is involving mostly new schools which easily can for 20+ million, putting it out of the reach of local companies.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
Our family's business is commercial construction ans we are an established company in SW Ohio. We've seen this happening for a while now, the private work keeps getting more exclusive (not open to any contractors except the sole invited one) and public work is involving mostly new schools which easily can for 20+ million, putting it out of the reach of local companies.
And they wonder why no one wants to pass any new school & city levies. The cities/schools & all other public works should try to keep the locals working first. Because they are the one who put the money back into the communty first.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Come on, now you are going to re-act when it was all in good humor? Flint, Saginaw, and Detroit are far worse than Youngstown and Toledo. If fact Detroit and Flint have come to Youngstown to study their Youngstown 2010 plan.

And Clev. and Cincy are far worse than GR and AA. Each state has some nice and some not-so-nice cities.

You are kidding with the roads. It is clear as day when you go from Ohio to Michigan. Hell, if I was blind and deaf I would be able to tell when I left Michigan and entered Ohio.

I live in one state and work in the other. I cross the border twice a day. There is no difference in road condition between the two. N. Mich. has some beautiful roads as does SE Ohio. The urban areas in each state that are more prone to seasonal fluctuations in the weather have some rough roads. Btw, they are not "my" roads as you indicated in the earlier post. I'll take credit/criticism for my driveway but that is as far as it goes.

Your economy is almost completely reliant on the auto industry and it shows. There may be plenty of Ohioans in Michigan, but there are a hell of a lot more Michiganders in Ohio, not just visiting, but moving here. You want to talk about problem drivers? What about all the Michigan drivers on I-75 in SW Ohio that drive around in their rusty pieces of sh** weaving in and out of traffic.
Sure Mich. is (was) heavily reliant on the auto industry. But c'mon Ohio is/was also huge into the auto industry as well. These two states are so similar in economy, climate, and culture. Both suffer from the malaise of that all rustbelt states suffer.
Speaking of rust, when was the last time you saw a rusty car? LOL. There isn't that much steel on cars anymore. A common sight in the 70s and 80s but I can't remember the last time I saw a car with any significant amount of rust.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Cleveland and Cincinnati are worse that Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor?

That's laughable.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 AM

9 posts, read 22,251 times
I lived in Ohio for 33 years. Really didn't know I loved it, until I had to relocate to Memphis.Hated it there and had to relocate above the Mason Dixon Line! So PA is as close as I could get. I miss Cedar Point and Lake Erie. The smell of corn on a summer night drive. When you see a sign that says "a nice place to live" in a small town it's true. Mohican camping and trails. At least I sound the same here in PA and don't get asked what church I go to as the second question. Being called a "Damn yankee" for two years made me proud to be one! Going to Cleveland to see concerts and Indians games. I don't like football,but still stick up for the Brownies. In the south they said that we're mean and don't wave to our neighbors. That's a lie, in Ohio I knew everyone on my block and could at least walk without my personal safety at risk. Ohio is great, and I can't wait to go visit!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Cleveland and Cincinnati are worse that Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor?

That's laughable.
Right on! Both Cleveland & Cincinnati are commercial and cultural powerhouses, far larger, dynamic, and diverse than either Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor. Neither GR nor AA should be mentioned in the same sentence with Ohio's 2-C's.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
You all can keep your cities, just give me the country and I'll be happy all the way around . Out here we shoot at four legged animals, in the city the two legged animals shoot at each other.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:36 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Except reasons of family what do you search in Ohio ?.
My family is in Pennsylvania, which is why I left Ohio. *sigh*

I'd come back in a heartbeat. The cities are not cramped like a can of sardines, traffic is bearable, the air is (relatively) clean, small towns are friendly, the countryside is fruitful and the cost of living is reasonable.

Does Ohio have problems? Sure. But there are worse places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio