Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:28 AM

110 posts, read 248,344 times

Advertisements

I just don't get the drivers here.

I totally understand why for the most part nobody speeds because there are more cops out on the road giving out tickets than any state I've ever seen, so I get that.

But what is it with every riding your arse until either you move aside or they get around you and then they just pretty much stay at the same speed?

I don't think I'm crazy because I spend a fair amount of time on the road and paying attention to the habits & mannerisms of drivers is something I've always done and I notice it every day and so has my wife.

It's like everyone desperately wants to be that lead car but doesn't have that courage to drive more than a few mph over the speed limit.

Of course then you cross into MD and then you just better get the heck out of the way! Holy Cow!

In LA everyone speeds. And I mean EVERYONE! And not just a little. You can pretty much count on everyone flowing together as one at a very high rate of speed. And then there is always that 1% of nut balls out there that feels 75mph just isn't good enough and they have to weave in and out.

Anyway, just wanted to try and understand.

Nothing more frustrating than moving my Q45 (That could easily do 165mph if I wanted it to) over for you tail-gaters to get buy, only to have you barely get in front of me and then lock it down to like 66mph.

If you're gonna pass, PASS and go on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,499 times
1. How long have you been driving in NoVA?
2. How many total miles have you driven in NoVA?
3. What is the total number of cars on the road that you have counted while driving in NoVA?
4. NOW, how many cars actually end up frustrating you while you are driving in NoVA?

Post back your answers so we can calculate the %ages. This will help you understand that your generalization of NoVA drivers is nothing more than a road rage issue you need to come to terms with.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
brymax, just like you, a huge number of the people you see on the road are brand new to the area and still finding their way. They'll start to drive more consistently as they become more at home with the area.

In addition, many of the roads and landmarks are rapidly changing, being added to, or (in some cases) being closed. Things like that influence the way people drive. This is particularly true in eastern Loudoun, where you live. That whole area is seeing a lot of growth. You would not believe the number of changes to the roads there in the past few years. Nova's growth spurt is exciting, but also means you have to slow down at times just to figure out the new pattern.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
I doubt the bad driving habits around here are unique to this area. However, I can't resist posting a couple of my pet peeves:

1. Drivers who pull out from sideroads in front of you too slowly when you are too close and cause you to have to slam on your brakes or slow way down. Is it that hard to judge the speed and distance of approaching cars?

2. Drivers at four way stops who follow the car ahead of them into the intersection without stopping rather than taking their turn.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
I don't notice this behavior on regular roads, but I've often seen it on highways like I-66, and I've assumed there are many psychotic drivers!

I'll have cruise control on for some speed between 65 and 75, a driver comes up on my tail really close, they pass, then pull into my lane ahead of me, and then settle into a speed slower than what I was doing at the time they passed me. So with my cruise control on, I inevitably catch up with them. Then the game begins.

Many times a car ahead of me that I catch up with and need to pass will, once I'm to their left and even with them, begin to speed up slightly. So I'm pressing on the gas, and I'm not getting ahead. I have to stomp it, get ridiculously out ahead of them (and risk a ticket), before I can pull back into the right lane. Then I'll lower my speed to where I originally was, check my mirror, and see that car receding. They obviously are no longer driving as fast as they were when I was passing them.

I drive I-66 from Fairfax out to Winchester often, and I encounter this over and over.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:53 AM

I remember seeing a blurb on Dr. Gridlock about drivers who purposely go slow in the fast lane and/or block your ability to pass in order to enforce the speed limit. He even gave it a name: "Nelsoning" because apparently the guy who advocated it was named Nelson.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt the bad driving habits around here are unique to this area. However, I can't resist posting a couple of my pet peeves:

1. Drivers who pull out from sideroads in front of you too slowly when you are too close and cause you to have to slam on your brakes or slow way down. Is it that hard to judge the speed and distance of approaching cars?
I just had this happen to me today on I-65. A truck just pulled out from being stopped into the right lane. I was doing about 70-75 (speed limit 70) in that lane and had to slam on my brakes hard just to avoid hitting him. What is more insulting is that this truck only pulled back over to stop again. I would think if you were stopped on the side you would at least attempt to get up to safe speed before getting back on the highway.

While bad driving is definitely not unique to NoVA from what I've seen in 2 months here I think it is worse in NoVA.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
People don't speed here? Really? The beltway and 267 seem to consistently move at 70 mph, despite 55 mph speed limits.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
My pet peeve is people who don't stay in their lanes on a 4-lane road, just drift a foot or so over into the adjoining lane, cut the curves so they're half in both lanes, etc. I think that's the phrase I yell most while driving: "Get outta my lane, ya dam* idjit!!!"

Old 07-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
My pet peeve is people who don't stay in their lanes on a 4-lane road, just drift a foot or so over into the adjoining lane, cut the curves so they're half in both lanes, etc. I think that's the phrase I yell most while driving: "Get outta my lane, ya dam* idjit!!!"

We call that "Fairfax Drift". The movie will be out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia