Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:48 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,507,247 times

Advertisements

slow drivers from all over the eastern seaboard must LOVE driving in northern VA, they know here they can drive as slow as they want in any lane that they want without anybody flashing their lights at them or honking theirr horn at them or telling them to move to the slower lane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:57 PM

15,471 posts, read 25,924,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
People don't speed here? Really? The beltway and 267 seem to consistently move at 70 mph, despite 55 mph speed limits.
I was thinking the same thing, but I do wonder if they were talking about 66 from Fairfax Dr. entrance to 267, where people do drive maddeninly slow almost every time I go that way. Everywhere else they speed, but for some reason not on that stretch.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:14 PM

219 posts, read 473,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but I do wonder if they were talking about 66 from Fairfax Dr. entrance to 267, where people do drive maddeninly slow almost every time I go that way. Everywhere else they speed, but for some reason not on that stretch.
I can't answer for all the other drivers, but in my experience there are very often cops w/radar on that stretch of road.

My peeve has always been lack of use of turn signals. I facetiously attribute it to all the lawyers/lobbyists/analysts/strategists who live here - nobody wants to give away their next move to the guy behind them.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:50 PM

262 posts, read 584,343 times
The thing that just drives me crazy is when you are in a line of traffic and the person behind you is right on your tail. I can't go faster than the car in front of me and being on my back bumper isn't going to make me go faster because I CAN'T! What's the point of tailgating other than trying to cause an accident.

I sometimes just tap my brakes but often it doesn't make them back off. Sometimes I understand road rage!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:05 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,484,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Because there are a couple of areas on that stretch where it's relatively easy for the police to run radar, since you cannot see them until you round the corner, and they know your speed before you can react. I have seen both Arlington and the State Police on that stretch with vehicles pulled over. And, not just a couple of times, many times.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 AM

110 posts, read 248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

I'll have cruise control on for some speed between 65 and 75, a driver comes up on my tail really close, they pass, then pull into my lane ahead of me, and then settle into a speed slower than what I was doing at the time they passed me. So with my cruise control on, I inevitably catch up with them. Then the game begins.

Many times a car ahead of me that I catch up with and need to pass will, once I'm to their left and even with them, begin to speed up slightly. So I'm pressing on the gas, and I'm not getting ahead. I have to stomp it, get ridiculously out ahead of them (and risk a ticket), before I can pull back into the right lane.
YES!

YES, this is exactly what I'm talking about! What the heck?

Old 07-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
1. How long have you been driving in NoVA?
2. How many total miles have you driven in NoVA?
3. What is the total number of cars on the road that you have counted while driving in NoVA?
4. NOW, how many cars actually end up frustrating you while you are driving in NoVA?

Post back your answers so we can calculate the %ages. This will help you understand that your generalization of NoVA drivers is nothing more than a road rage issue you need to come to terms with.
Respectfully, I'm just not going to answer these questions because I know what I experience and I can assure you there is nobody further from "road-rage" than I.

I come from Road Rage Capital USA, remember?

Rarely does anyone do anything on the road that cause me to real get pissed.

I'm very calm. I drive an extremely fast car that can get me far away from any situation if I need to. And I'm heavily insured.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
brymax, just like you, a huge number of the people you see on the road are brand new to the area and still finding their way. They'll start to drive more consistently as they become more at home with the area.

In addition, many of the roads and landmarks are rapidly changing, being added to, or (in some cases) being closed. Things like that influence the way people drive. This is particularly true in eastern Loudoun, where you live. That whole area is seeing a lot of growth. You would not believe the number of changes to the roads there in the past few years. Nova's growth spurt is exciting, but also means you have to slow down at times just to figure out the new pattern.
This would explain a lot.
Thanks!

Always count on you for direct answers.

Me personally, BECAUSE I'm new to the area, drive slower. But then again, I've always just kinda been a cruiser. At least I have been for a while now.

I used to own hot rods when I was a kid and very fast street bikes. I also used to party... A LOT.

When I started a family and finally got sober and got got rid of all that stuff and just haven't felt the need to drive fast or unsafe since. Don't get me wrong, there was a couple of trips out to Las Vegas when I got my Infiniti up to 150+, but there was nobody else in the car and definitely nobody else on the road.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
People don't speed here? Really? The beltway and 267 seem to consistently move at 70 mph, despite 55 mph speed limits.
I was generalizing.

I drive the 267 @ 4:45am and MOST people hold at 65 or a little less. And there are a lot of cops out at such an early hour. No different than the day really.

I used to drive into LA at the same time a last year and the motorcycle cops would pass me on their way back to the station for the shift change. As long as I wasn't doing over 80mph I felt ok because they were usually going much faster and I never saw them pulled over giving out tickets at 5am like they do here.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadgirl View Post
The thing that just drives me crazy is when you are in a line of traffic and the person behind you is right on your tail. I can't go faster than the car in front of me and being on my back bumper isn't going to make me go faster because I CAN'T! What's the point of tailgating other than trying to cause an accident.

I sometimes just tap my brakes but often it doesn't make them back off. Sometimes I understand road rage!
YES! YES! YES!

Just where exactly is it you expect me to go?

Do you think I'm somehow going to be able to faster because you're closer to me?

Here's my question...
Let's assume for a moment you & I are going to the same place?

If I move aside @ 66mph and I let you get by so you can get up to... 70mph
And we travel 30 miles.

How much faster did you really get there than me?

What if we both stopped at Starbucks for a coffee? What, would be in front of me with like 1 person in between us?

Man, you get a latte' and I get a regular coffee, no cream & no sugar, we're walking out the door the same time!
So what's the freakin point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia