Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:21 PM

249 posts, read 645,193 times

Advertisements

In Williston.... 28 degrees last night at Chateau Walmare... 55 degrees today, sitting here in shirt sleeves....

One thing I have found out ... the competition for the oilfield is TOUGH... most companies want 6 mos - year experience...

BUT.... have found that almost all will provide housing....

CDL jobs a dime a dozen but rare to get housing...

All in all... LOTS of jobs good luck with housing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM

19 posts, read 54,768 times
so you have been there 5 days and no job yet? that is interesting. especially for anyone else that are thinking of coming up.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
I think golfer is only interested in jobs with a rotational schedule, so he can get back home often.

I'm curious what other types of jobs might have been offered during his search.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM

73 posts, read 202,925 times
Golfer,

What is going on over there? Have you been offered any jobs and if so for what n how much? How was the Williston job situation compared to the other cities you been to? More opportunity?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Been offered shop jobs... roustabout job, and numerous warehouse type jobs... problem is HOUSING... and the fact that I am looking for a 14/14 rotation ....

A few companies are having an issue with too many trainees... they are only allowed to have a certain ratio and many companies have told me they are putting off hiring for weeks or a month until they get the ratio back down.

heading back to Florida tomorrow but will be back in a couple of weeks while following up on the apps I submitted to EVERYONE with a rotational schedule...LOL

Nomac job fair told me they'll call if they want a second interview... would fly me to OK and then if accepted a week training and getting my certs and then onto a rig... keeping my fingers crossed...

Today sunny and 50 degrees hitting the final few places to fill out apps.

met some really nice guys out here and we will keep in touch while away for my two weeks (unless someone calls sooner then I'll jet right back up...LOL) look out for each other for housing and job openings... About 10 of us went out to JDub's last night for dinner and brews... they are staying and may be taking temp jobs while waiting for openings in the field for entry level guys...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM

325 posts, read 863,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
Been offered shop jobs... roustabout job, and numerous warehouse type jobs... problem is HOUSING... and the fact that I am looking for a 14/14 rotation ....
Did the roustabout job offer a housing allowance?

This is all very interesting since a friend of my sister arrived in Williston on Wednesday (originally I said Tuesday) and she got a job the same day ($25 an hour) with housing. She is a woman with absolutely no experience in the oil industry.

I would think that with 350 companies in Williston somebody has what you want. Methinks also the problem is primarily the rotation issue. Did anyone offer you 3 weeks/1 week or 20/10?

Did you apply with Precision Mechanical?

Quote:
A few companies are having an issue with too many trainees... they are only allowed to have a certain ratio and many companies have told me they are putting off hiring for weeks or a month until they get the ratio back down.
But there are 350 companies in the area.

Quote:
heading back to Florida tomorrow but will be back in a couple of weeks while following up on the apps I submitted to EVERYONE with a rotational schedule...LOL
How many apps did you submit?

Quote:
they are staying and may be taking temp jobs while waiting for openings in the field for entry level guys...
So they too are looking for a rotational schedule?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 AM

Please, please... please

tell me where she got a $25.00 an hour job with housing.. with me are 10 others guys all hitting the bricks and no one has come NEAR that kind of offer...in the 4 or 5 days they have been here...

The guys are all trying to get into the fields.. all entry level guys... some companies hiring experienced people but none of us have had any luck with those hiring entry level.. been told they are waiting for a couple to a few weeks... going to Precision within the hour.

Might be a couple of days until i get back to post...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Have submitted about 40 apps...

Roustabout offered the job but said I had to have housing as his conscience wouldn't allow him to hire someone without housing with the storms coming.... Said when I get housing I would have a job waiting...

I AM willing to do the 7/7 or 21/7 until I find a 14/14... one company told me when they start hiring again I would start at 7/7 and have to earn the 14/14... fair enough...!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Please, please... please

tell me where she got a $25.00 an hour job with housing.. with me are 10 others guys all hitting the bricks and no one has come NEAR that kind of offer...in the 4 or 5 days they have been here...

The guys are all trying to get into the fields.. all entry level guys... some companies hiring experienced people but none of us have had any luck with those hiring entry level.. been told they are waiting for a couple to a few weeks... going to Precision within the hour.

Might be a couple of days until i get back to post...
I don't know the company name yet. She also secured housing before she left Georgia

Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Have submitted about 40 apps...

Roustabout offered the job but said I had to have housing as his conscience wouldn't allow him to hire someone without housing with the storms coming.... Said when I get housing I would have a job waiting...

I AM willing to do the 7/7 or 21/7 until I find a 14/14... one company told me when they start hiring again I would start at 7/7 and have to earn the 14/14... fair enough...!
I have an ad for a company in Minot offering 20/10 and need no experience. It was posted in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota