Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 32,851 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to new and is looking for upper middle class african-american communities. Areas of interest---Organge, Rockland, Westchester & NYC areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 08:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Are you black? Well hold one to your hat...I assume any minute people will be berating you for wanting to live with people of your same color. Perhaps you would like an all-white town, or perhaps a heavily Asian one?

Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
[quote=GCGuy;712257]Are you black? Well hold one to your hat...I assume any minute people will be berating you for wanting to live with people of your same color.QUOTE]

Gonna be tough to find up there in the "integrated" and "progressive" north.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
I live around here and honestly can't think of an upper-middle class black town in Westchester or Rockland.

Maybe the closest thing, at least that I can think of, is the section fo Mount Vernon that borders Bronxville. There area lot of expensive houses and whatnot here. Stay away from Southern Mount Vernon though, as that neighborhood can be a little bit sketcy

Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,901,566 times
Same with Orange. Communities are integrated. We have blacks, Asians, hispanics all living together. There isn't a single community that I know of in Orange that's segregated except for Kiryas Joel, a Hasdic village.

Truthfully, I don't think it matters much what color you are. People are too busy to care for the most part.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 41,819 times
Default Fort Green/Clinton Hill

The Fort Greene/ Clinton Hill area has a large professional class group of blacks. Also, Stuyversant Heights in Bedford Stuyversant. However, none of these neighborhoods are all black. Stuyversant Heights is majority black while Fort Greene and Clinton Hill are intergrated. I live in Clinton Hill and absolutely love it!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM

58 posts, read 290,305 times
You may find something in White Plains as far as Westchester County--- forget about it in Orange and Rockland counties.... like the above poster pointed out-- many neighborhoods like this in the Brooklyn--- not sure about the Bronx---

have you thought about Harlem? I love it there but it is getting pricey and a lot of gentrifcation taking place!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:13 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyt26 View Post
Stuyversant Heights in Bedford Stuyversant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
have you thought about Harlem? I love it there but it is getting pricey and a lot of gentrifcation taking place!
Hahaha! Please tell me your kidding. Those are FAR from middle class Black neighborhoods.

There is an area of Queens that is middle class African American (Only one in the city). I think it's called Cambria Heights. Right along the Nassau border. Stay the hell away from Jamaica/Far Rockaway though. There are many more middle income Black areas down south then in NY state.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-13-2007 at 12:21 AM..

Old 06-13-2007, 05:45 AM

58 posts, read 290,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Hahaha! Please tell me your kidding. Those are FAR from middle class Black neighborhoods.

There is an area of Queens that is middle class African American (Only one in the city). I think it's called Cambria Heights. Right along the Nassau border. Stay the hell away from Jamaica/Far Rockaway though. There are many more middle income Black areas down south then in NY state.
No I'm not.I love the progressiveness of Harlem and like I said -- cost are going up--- so it is not as scary as it used to be -- and with the hospital and all-- there is a growing population of the "progressive" and upper middle class black folk.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM

51 posts, read 348,293 times
I lived in Cambria Heights all my life. Great neighborhood. Other nice Queens neighborhoods.. Laurelton, Queens Village, Bayside, Flushing Meadow park area but Addisleigh Park area in St. Albans is hands down the best out of all of them. BEAUTIFUL HOUSES AND NEIGHBORHOOD. GREAT PEOPLE. CLOSE TO EVERYTHING...

I worked in White Plains for many years, it's great but very very expensive to buy a house there.

Have you ever thought about CT areas like Stamford and Norwalk. These are great commuting areas to NYC. 30-40 mins on Metro north. Has good mixture of all cultures.

Long Island is good too.. Valley Stream and Elmont.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York