Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I recomended Cambria Heights, a Black neighborhood. An actual middle class area. Harlem is NOT.

Sadly, most Black and Latino areas in the city are horrible neighborhoods.
Well, all the businesses and people that are now investing in Harlem are respectfully proving you incorrect, including a white boy from Arkansas!

Oh, by the way, my friend's condo in Harlem went from 90 percent black 20 years ago to 30 percent black today! And how do you explain a British guy giving my mother directions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tionne317 View Post
I hear Mt Vernon is a dump. Wouldn't recommend.
You heard it's a dump, but you've never been there.

I hear you're judgemental, but I've never met you.

ABQConvict

Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,024 times
Default Mixed upper middle class neighborhood in Ardsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeshak View Post
Thinking of relocating to new and is looking for upper middle class african-american communities. Areas of interest---Organge, Rockland, Westchester & NYC areas
Ardsley has a mixed upper middle class neighborhood and the houses are very nice. They also have great town pools and the school district is excellent.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Well, all the businesses and people that are now investing in Harlem are respectfully proving you incorrect, including a white boy from Arkansas!

Oh, by the way, my friend's condo in Harlem went from 90 percent black 20 years ago to 30 percent black today! And how do you explain a British guy giving my mother directions?
Harlem is a perfect example of the negatives of gentrification. Housing that cost 3 million dollars yet the Median Household Yearly Income is $15,902.

The low income people live in the ghetto. The wealthy live in a bubble. All in the same neighborhood. Talk about income desparity. Harlem is NOT a middle class neighborhood. It's a shame the Puerto Ricans and African Americans have allowed this to happen in their neighborhood.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 AM

86 posts, read 388,615 times
Default try valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeshak View Post
Thinking of relocating to new and is looking for upper middle class african-american communities. Areas of interest---Organge, Rockland, Westchester & NYC areas
Valhalla in Westchester has a predominantly black upper middle class neighborhood, called Parkway Homes, right off the Bronx River Parkway on the border of White Plains.
It is in the Valhalla School district, which is a huge plus.
Homes range from ranches to capes to colonials.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM

58 posts, read 290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscap View Post
Valhalla in Westchester has a predominantly black upper middle class neighborhood, called Parkway Homes, right off the Bronx River Parkway on the border of White Plains.
It is in the Valhalla School district, which is a huge plus.
Homes range from ranches to capes to colonials.
Im goign to have to look for those... I am a black woman (who lives in Valhalla lol... and there arent many of us out here,,,) Are you talking about over towards Greenburgh???

And it cost an arm and leg to live over there!!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 AM

58 posts, read 290,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

Thats what I was saying!!! But someone tried to make me seem like I was making it up!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 41,838 times
Default Fort greene and Clinton Hill is very upper middle class

Quote:
Hahaha! Please tell me your kidding. Those are FAR from middle class Black neighborhoods.

There is an area of Queens that is middle class African American (Only one in the city). I think it's called Cambria Heights. Right along the Nassau border. Stay the hell away from Jamaica/Far Rockaway though. There are many more middle income Black areas down south then in NY state.
Hustla, if you haven't noticed, Fort greene and Clinton Hill have brownstones selling for 1-3 million dollars. It a historic neighborhood with a very strong black (and white) upper middle class community plus it has a vibrant, hip and diverse culture of artists, professionals and young famillies. Sure it is not completely gentrified but that's what makes it such a special place. I think you are very misinformed and should do some research before stating unfounded opinons and misleading people about this Brooklyn community.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
Thats what I was saying!!! But someone tried to make me seem like I was making it up!!!
Oh god. Look at Harlem. What income demographic makes up that community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyt26 View Post
Hustla, if you haven't noticed, Fort greene and Clinton Hill have brownstones selling for 1-3 million dollars. It a historic neighborhood with a very strong black (and white) upper middle class community plus it has a vibrant, hip and diverse culture of artists, professionals and young famillies. Sure it is not completely gentrified but that's what makes it such a special place. I think you are very misinformed and should do some research before stating unfounded opinons and misleading people about this Brooklyn community.
That's the screwed up part. The gentrification. Building and renovating properties the neighborhoods long time residents can not afford.

Look at the income demographics of the community. Who lives in Harlem? Yes there are some yuppies but the vast majority of the neighborhood cannot afford 1-3 million dollar brownstones. Most people who live in Harlem are low income.

Harlem is NOT a middle class neighborhood. Have you ever been to Harlem?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:45 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Oh god. Look at Harlem. What income demographic makes up that community?

That's the screwed up part. The gentrification. Building and renovating properties the neighborhoods long time residents can not afford.

Look at the income demographics of the community. Who lives in Harlem? Yes there are some yuppies but the vast majority of the neighborhood cannot afford 1-3 million dollar brownstones. Most people who live in Harlem are low income.

Harlem is NOT a middle class neighborhood. Have you ever been to Harlem?
I've been to Harlem. And I see that changes....the investment is mind-boggling. I brought up Maya Angelou's second home on 120th street. I will also point out the fact that 20 years ago, you would have to go to the lone Carver Bank on 125th to get money! Now, banks are all over one-two-five, plus even deep in other areas of Harlem. But to Hustla and his Compstat numbers, every Black neighborhood is still a slum!!!!!

I'm from Brooklyn. To me, Clinton Hill always had a middle class feel to it even 20 years ago!!!!! Of course, it wasn't perfect, but it still was a good neighborhood even back then. Oh, yeah, go down Myrtle Avenue (used to be called Murda Av) and see the complete revitalization of that street. I talked about the Tai restaurants in another thread. There are two on Myrtle Ave!

Read two books:
1) Lance Freeman: "There Goes The Hood: Gentrification from the Ground Up." Freeman focuses on both harlem and Clinton Hill.
2) David Maurasse: "Listening to Harlem: Gentrification, Community and Business."

Both authors hit it right on the head!!!!!

PS: Oh, by the way, I think you are seriously underestimating the economic power of the "Black gentry" (there are more Black folk who can afford property than you think!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York