Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 AM

94 posts, read 158,804 times

Advertisements

Is there anything appealing about Cortland? I moved to Cortland at the end of the summer (from out-of-state) because my spouse got a job in Newark Valley so I went job hunting in Syracuse since I have connections in Syracuse (worked in both East Syracuse and Clay a few years back while living in North Syracuse, and attended SUNY Oswego prior to that). So we moved to Cortland strictly for the location of it being halfway between each of our jobs. My spouse drives 35-40 minutes to Newark Valley and I drive 35-40 minutes to Syracuse. Neither of us had ever even been to Cortland before moving, but we didn't really have much of an option unless one of us drives over an hour to work everyday, which neither of us wants to do.

We just can't seem to find the "good" in Cortland. It's so far from everything (45 minutes to Binghamton, 40 to Ithaca, at least 35 to Syracuse), so if you want to go to a chain restaurant other than Applebee's, or a major store other than Price Chopper, Lowe's, or Walmart, you have to drive to one of those other 3 cities. Crime seems to be an issue in parts of the city, with a recent assault on Main Street in the middle of the day, which you would think to be safe for walking but apparently not anymore. All of Cortland County is awful at snow removal...as soon as I cross into Onondaga County, I-81 is always clear...not so in Cortland County. The city streets are even worse than I-81.

It also seems that people in Cortland seem to associate themselves with Ithaca rather than Syracuse, even though all local news is out of Syracuse and most Syracuse radio stations come in as well. I always associate with Syracuse because I've spent many years in the Syracuse area and that's where I work. Is there anyone that can change my opinion on Cortland, or is it really just as bad as I see it? I would be much happier living in Oswego than Cortland, even though Oswego is farther from Syracuse than Cortland is. At least Oswego has Lake Ontario...Cortland has nothing comparable to the beauty of Lake Ontario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:02 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
If Cortland were in Pennsylvania folks would rave about the number of local restaurants on Main Street, the free parking, the locally owned media Cortland Standard .net and Local News | Oldies 101.5 , the college locally and within 45 minutes of 7 more, how large the Price Chopper and Tops are (and how they actually have beer ), how good the roads are compared to PA with wide shoulders for bicycling. The hills are pretty but don't block or slow travel to the extent they do in some parts of PA or WV. Older homes are spacious on expansive lots and the prohibition of overnight parking has the effect of cleaning up the area by comparison with PA communities.

The inevitable comparison is with Ithaca which is especially close by using county roads and NY 366 in the valley through McLean, Freeville, and Etna, rather than the northwest hillside exposed NY 13 through the speed trap Village of Dryden. The proximity is such that one could still go to dinner or shop in Ithaca, or work there as many do (although Cortland itself has retained more employment than many similarly sized communities), but avoid some cost of property and other hassles that go with the leftie bubble paradise of "planet Ithaca." As the USA polarizes and fractionates a community where one could go to church or not, be gay or not, be Republican or Democrat and not be shut out of any opportunity, should have increasing value.

The community as a whole seems to do a very poor job of communicating with visitors and new residents. The City website City of Cortland Official Web Site has a number of events listed, but I'm not sure even the annual lighting and the visits with Santa at the water works makes it on there. I used to wonder why the common rural meth epidemic hadn't hit the area, but although late it's now pretty evident. The cheap real estate is far less of a bargain when heating costs and property taxes are figured in - both of which are common factors to all of upstate New York.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:05 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Cortland/Cortland County is actually a part of the Ithaca CSA(Combined Statistical Area) due to the census criteria of commuting patterns. So, that may be why you see the affiliation with Ithaca.

There are other posters that would have more in depth reasons and hopefully, they will chime in.

Oops, just look above......

Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
My lady and I used to go up every year they had the Jets training camp. And every year we went, we came away with the same conclusion: Cortland is pleasant enough but isolated. We stayed in a hotel in Cortland the first year, but basically did everything there was to do in town in a matter of a day. After that, we stayed in Syracuse every year- more to do, much better places to eat, and better hotel choices.

But this is just an anecdote from someone who used to visit yearly. Living there I'm sure is different.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
If Cortland were in Pennsylvania folks would rave about the number of local restaurants on Main Street, the free parking, the locally owned media Cortland Standard .net and Local News | Oldies 101.5 , the college locally and within 45 minutes of 7 more, how large the Price Chopper and Tops are (and how they actually have beer ), how good the roads are compared to PA with wide shoulders for bicycling. The hills are pretty but don't block or slow travel to the extent they do in some parts of PA or WV. Older homes are spacious on expansive lots and the prohibition of overnight parking has the effect of cleaning up the area by comparison with PA communities.

The inevitable comparison is with Ithaca which is especially close by using county roads and NY 366 in the valley through McLean, Freeville, and Etna, rather than the northwest hillside exposed NY 13 through the speed trap Village of Dryden. The proximity is such that one could still go to dinner or shop in Ithaca, or work there as many do (although Cortland itself has retained more employment than many similarly sized communities), but avoid some cost of property and other hassles that go with the leftie bubble paradise of "planet Ithaca." As the USA polarizes and fractionates a community where one could go to church or not, be gay or not, be Republican or Democrat and not be shut out of any opportunity, should have increasing value.

The community as a whole seems to do a very poor job of communicating with visitors and new residents. The City website City of Cortland Official Web Site has a number of events listed, but I'm not sure even the annual lighting and the visits with Santa at the water works makes it on there. I used to wonder why the common rural meth epidemic hadn't hit the area, but although late it's now pretty evident. The cheap real estate is far less of a bargain when heating costs and property taxes are figured in - both of which are common factors to all of upstate New York.
I definitely agree with the community doing a poor job of communicating with new residents. I've never heard of any events going on around town, and I can't say I've ever seen any either.

We've been to a couple of the restaurants in town, like Brix and the Hollywood Restaurant. Brix is the best we've come across so far, and they seem to do great business. It's always packed when we go in there or even just drive by the place.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
My lady and I used to go up every year they had the Jets training camp. And every year we went, we came away with the same conclusion: Cortland is pleasant enough but isolated. We stayed in a hotel in Cortland the first year, but basically did everything there was to do in town in a matter of a day. After that, we stayed in Syracuse every year- more to do, much better places to eat, and better hotel choices.

But this is just an anecdote from someone who used to visit yearly. Living there I'm sure is different.
Isolated is a great way to put it. There's not a lot here, and you must drive 35-45 minutes to find more things to do other than what Cortland has to offer. Overall, I agree that it is pleasant for the most part, although the recent assault has me wondering.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readthebox View Post
Isolated is a great way to put it. There's not a lot here, and you must drive 35-45 minutes to find more things to do other than what Cortland has to offer. Overall, I agree that it is pleasant for the most part, although the recent assault has me wondering.
I wouldn't worry, but just be aware. Such incidents are very rare there.

Also, like ki0eh mentioned, Cortland and similar cities around the state could do a better job of promoting events that take place within those cities.

I guess something like this could help a little bit: Cortland, NY Community Videos - Welcome

Just curious, but what are some things you that you like to do, Readthebox?

Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
We live in a "good school suburb" of a state capital, half million+ metro. We have traffic, less than the Northeast corridor but not typical for CNY, congestion delays from 5:30 am until about 8:30 pm.

In typical traffic conditions, not counting the weekly+ wrecks, events, etc., driving to the Apple store is 45 minutes one way. Driving to the Target is over 30 minutes. Driving to Wegmans is about 45 minutes. Driving to the dealership for our cars is 20, 30, or 40 minutes. Driving to Kmart or about a 40,000 sf grocery store (half the size of the Cortland Tops) is about 10 minutes. Driving to Walmart is 20 minutes plus it's nothing to wait in the checkout line for 15 minutes.

My wife mentioned once about how convenient our house is (about 6 minutes to her work).

It occurred to me, when I was visiting a relative in the 13045 and I drove to the Target (in Lansing) to get one thing and was back in an hour flat, how convenient is it really, compared to Cortland?

Old 01-13-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wouldn't worry, but just be aware. Such incidents are very rare there.

Also, like ki0eh mentioned, Cortland and similar cities around the state could do a better job of promoting events that take place within those cities.

I guess something like this could help a little bit: Cortland, NY Community Videos - Welcome

Just curious, but what are some things you that you like to do, Readthebox?
Thank you for the link, ckh.

My main hobby is really just going for walks outside. I love being outdoors. Or, in the warmer half of the year, I'll replace the walks with bike rides. When I lived in North Syracuse I used to put my bike on a bike rack and drive down to DeWitt and ride along the Erie Canal Trail. I'd usually ride from DeWitt to Chittenango, take a break in Chittenango, then ride back to DeWitt. That would kill a couple hours. Or if I didn't have a lot of time, I would just walk/bike around my neighborhood in North Syracuse. Currently, I do a lot of walking around my neighborhood in Cortland, around the area of SUNY Cortland.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
We live in a "good school suburb" of a state capital, half million+ metro. We have traffic, less than the Northeast corridor but not typical for CNY, congestion delays from 5:30 am until about 8:30 pm.

In typical traffic conditions, not counting the weekly+ wrecks, events, etc., driving to the Apple store is 45 minutes one way. Driving to the Target is over 30 minutes. Driving to Wegmans is about 45 minutes. Driving to the dealership for our cars is 20, 30, or 40 minutes. Driving to Kmart or about a 40,000 sf grocery store (half the size of the Cortland Tops) is about 10 minutes. Driving to Walmart is 20 minutes plus it's nothing to wait in the checkout line for 15 minutes.

My wife mentioned once about how convenient our house is (about 6 minutes to her work).

It occurred to me, when I was visiting a relative in the 13045 and I drove to the Target (in Lansing) to get one thing and was back in an hour flat, how convenient is it really, compared to Cortland?
I certainly agree with you there that Cortland seems much more convenient than your current living situation! No "traffic" to worry about around here on the state highways or interstates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York