Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:58 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times

Advertisements

Here are opportunities to discover more walking areas:
Way2Go Cortland - Transportation and Transit in Cortland County
Central New York - Region 7 - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Lime Hollow Nature Center

The bike/ski shop on Main St. seems pretty competent and friendly, no real high end items https://www.facebook.com/Action-Sports-168712833143612/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 03:01 PM

Cortland County Hiking
FLT Conference :: Interactive Map (Full System)

Old 01-14-2016, 06:31 AM

94 posts, read 158,857 times
Thank you for all the links, ki0eh! I'll have to check out some of these trails.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
A lot of people who work at Cornell (staff) live in Cortland. Other people from Cortland work in various businesses or hotels in Ithaca. Ithaca is closer to Cortland as well. Because of the commuting patterns Cortland's economy is tied to Ithaca.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A lot of people who work at Cornell (staff) live in Cortland. Other people from Cortland work in various businesses or hotels in Ithaca. Ithaca is closer to Cortland as well. Because of the commuting patterns Cortland's economy is tied to Ithaca.
A number of years ago I had a really boring job at Cornell with access to the printed staff directory. Back in those simpler times nearly all staff had their home addresses and titles printed in there. I recall classifying staff into faculty, degreed technical, and other, and place of residence by 14850, other Tompkins County, and outside. At that time nearly all faculty were 14850 (most exceptions being in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences), technical might have been about 1/3 each, and other being maybe about 10% 14850 (and those, concentrated in the portions of the City of Ithaca west of Albany St., south of Buffalo St., and east of Cayuga Inlet). I was a bit surprised at the number of "other" who actually lived in PA. I had to go on to another degree at Syracuse to be introduced to GIS.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
A number of years ago I had a really boring job at Cornell with access to the printed staff directory. Back in those simpler times nearly all staff had their home addresses and titles printed in there. I recall classifying staff into faculty, degreed technical, and other, and place of residence by 14850, other Tompkins County, and outside. At that time nearly all faculty were 14850 (most exceptions being in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences), technical might have been about 1/3 each, and other being maybe about 10% 14850 (and those, concentrated in the portions of the City of Ithaca west of Albany St., south of Buffalo St., and east of Cayuga Inlet). I was a bit surprised at the number of "other" who actually lived in PA. I had to go on to another degree at Syracuse to be introduced to GIS.
Not to hijack the thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if some lived in places like Owego, Waverly, Horseheads or Watkins Glen as well.

To get back on track, I wonder if the OP is into the Arts at all, as Homer has this facility: Center for the Arts of Homer

More here: Cultural Council of Cortland County

Old 01-15-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Ithaca is closer mileage-wise, but depending on where in Ithaca you are going, the amount of time driving is very similar to what it would take to get to Syracuse. It takes me 35-37 minutes, on average, in good weather, to get to downtown Syracuse. Once I get on I-81, it's 30 minutes...the first 5-7 minutes is just getting to I-81. Ithaca takes anywhere from 30-40 minutes since it's all state highways or county highways, and driving to Ithaca College or Wegmans is farther than driving to Cornell or Target. Honestly, I prefer the drive to Syracuse because it's easier...don't have to slow down to 30 mph going through small towns. 65-70 mph the whole way up I-81. And making that drive at 5 AM every morning, there's no one even on the roads.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
My spouse said there's at least two co-workers in Newark Valley who drive up from PA every morning. One is from the Scranton area and the other from Susquehanna. Susquehanna is probably manageable, just under an hour. I can't imagine the drive from Scranton, though!

Old 01-15-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if some lived in places like Owego, Waverly, Horseheads or Watkins Glen as well.

To get back on track, I wonder if the OP is into the Arts at all, as Homer has this facility: Center for the Arts of Homer

More here: Cultural Council of Cortland County
Not highly interested in the Arts, but some of the events at Center for the Arts in Homer seem interesting.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 PM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Ironically, this Your Town was done just months after this thread started:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7Q...&feature=share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York