Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 AM

223 posts, read 616,067 times

Advertisements

SeventhFloor - What about all the low rise buildings along Gates Ave. between Patchen down to like Marcy? I thought they were NYCHA too.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
SeventhFloor - What about all the low rise buildings along Gates Ave. between Patchen down to like Marcy? I thought they were NYCHA too.
no those arent nycha. but those buildings are pretty bad. gates and throop is a particularly bad corner.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2010, 05:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Just caught this from NY post crime:

"A Red Hook man was shot dead at a housing project in an apparent drug-related attack, police sources said yesterday.
The 26-year-old victim, whose name was withheld pending family notification, was found shot in the head in his apartment on Lorraine Street at 4:20 p.m. Monday."

Looks like Red Hook still has it's issues.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:56 PM

223 posts, read 616,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
no those arent nycha. but those buildings are pretty bad. gates and throop is a particularly bad corner.
Tell me about; that's where I got mugged! I cussed the kid out so bad though that he followed me for a block trying to give my money back . However, I blame myself for the mugging because I went against my "walk like a crackhead" motto in a area like that at that time of night.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
However, I blame myself for the mugging because I went against my "walk like a crackhead" motto in a area like that at that time of night.
LMAO, "walk like a crackhead". My aunt used to talk to trees and fire hydrants to ward off muggers back in the 80's, atleast thats the reason she gave me

Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times
Default Retired Officers Raise Questions on Crime Data

Today's NY Times:

"More than a hundred retired New York Police Department captains and higher-ranking officers said in a survey that the intense pressure to produce annual crime reductions led some supervisors and precinct commanders to manipulate crime statistics, according to two criminologists studying the department......."

Article link.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I think we all know that SOME manipulation happens everywhere, so it kinda moot. I do not, nor should anyone, believe that the crime stats are 100% accurate, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. However, are they a reasonable gauge into crime in NYC? I would say yes, despite the fact that they are fudged.

And NYers agree, despite the known fudging, we know they are reasonably on target.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Last edited by SobroGuy; 02-08-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 12:21 AM

157 posts, read 394,836 times
Second week in a row crime increased along with the Bloomberg administration getting bombarded with questions about fudging crime statistics, which also lead to people remembering Bloomberg being accused of having a falsified grading system

Old 02-09-2010, 12:40 AM

5 posts, read 25,376 times
Who cares what the crime stats are? They are meaningless.

You can be victimized anywhere in the New York City and yes there are neighborhoods where you are very likely to be the victim of a violent crime at some point especially if you are a resident. What is more important is how we can reduce crime.

Crime is down versus the worst periods, that is a fact. The turbulent 60's and 70's along with the crack epidemic through the 80's and 90's'. However it is still a major quality of life issue in some parts.

Crimes don't just happen, they are an end result. The city is taking the steps it needs to in order to fight it. Only so much can be done. From policing to anti-poverty initiatives. Trying to encourage children to stay in school and providing housing for the homeless. We can help by encouraging the construction of affordable and mixed income housing, showing a little compassion every once and a while, staying involved in our children's lives and teaching them right from wrong. I also feel the prison system is flawed but that's another story completely.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Jaged have you really resorted to trying to create controversy or make us believe crime is on the rise by saying "second week in a row crime increased". I mean really..2 weeks in a row! You failed to mention that 15 YEARS in a row crime DECREASED. But that's not a story..who cares...it has increased 2 weeks in a row! Why are some trying to fear monger on this site? Let's try and be reasonable here..."second week in a row crime increased" is not a valid statistic or matters in any way, except for those that can't find anything else to support their allegations.

Builditdense...I agree in general with your above post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City