Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 04:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Uh huh. So a family that really NEEDS a four bedroom apartment can't have one.
yeah. theres lots fo families that need the apartment that we are in, but some of these families are troubled families this is what I was told about from the housing manager. Dont get me wrong we live in a nice apartment in the heart of mott haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 04:39 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
yeah. theres lots fo families that need the apartment that we are in, but some of these families are troubled families this is what I was told about from the housing manager. Dont get me wrong we live in a nice apartment in the heart of mott haven.
And because they're 'troubled' they don't deserve an apartment that's the size that they need?

Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
And because they're 'troubled' they don't deserve an apartment that's the size that they need?
thats what the housing manager said when me nad my mom went to check out the other apartment in another housing project on the main project community. Whether or not troubled family deserves it its not because of me but the housing manager thats his problem. Dont get me wrong I wanna move but im trying to wait until my economic situation improves. Trying on to become an NYPD officer, jsut waiting for my appeal to go through. But anyway housing wanted us to move, other tenants in the building had a similar situation and told my family not to bother, dont respond back, or just sit in the apartment. Today we are still here and still paying 900 dollar months rent. Housing dont bother us and just sends us the usual annual lease recertification and monthly rent bill and thats it. Dont get me wrong I do wanna move and get out of housing overall and give up this 4 bedroom apartment to someone else, and believe me theres lots of families with a size greater then 6 people that needs the apartment we have!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-07-2009 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
a move is sometimes best...move on cowboy !

Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,024 times
LOL, NYCHA tells someone they need to move. The person does not respond and eventually NYCHA gives up. what a joke of an organization. Good for you, bronxguyanese, don't feel bad for a second for those people who "need" your apartment.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:53 PM

259 posts, read 455,245 times
You are utilizing public housing. You are at the whim of the housing authority.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times
Smile What if...

I am sure Drummergirl's 'grown up' family still comes to visit occasionally and they probably have a few kids in tow. At least She can provide a comfortable familiar accommodation for her grown up family. We need more people like Drummergirl in NYCHA. I used to live in the projects, and I must admit that most of the tenants, especially the ones with the large families didn't give a damn about their community or their apartment. The kids wrote all over the walls, there was urine in the elevators, as well as constant traffic in and out of those apartments 24 hours a day. There were very few tenants that appreciated the fact that they had affordable housing and took pride in there apartments. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to be dirty or disrespectful. So in my opinion I think Drummergirl earned the right to keep her apartment. My neighbor was in a similar dilemma and she always kept her apt spotless. She would even pick up the garbage in the hallway that other tenants would carelessly throw on the floor. She always paid her rent on time and every christmas she would decorate the hallway on our floor with a another tenant and myself (we all chipped in a few dollars and bought the decorations). Fortunately, my ex-neighbor still has her apt and I am happy for her. I wish the same for you Drummergirl.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSoul View Post
I am sure Drummergirl's 'grown up' family still comes to visit occasionally and they probably have a few kids in tow. At least She can provide a comfortable familiar accommodation for her grown up family.
That's what hotels are for. If that's too expensive, then spread blankets on the floor and make like a slumber party. My family (who didn't live in public housing) did that more than once when I was a kid -- this family can, too.

Quote:
We need more people like Drummergirl in NYCHA.
True. Unfortunately, there's no room for them, because the large apartment they need is being occupied by someone who no longer requires that much space, but refuses to move.

Quote:
I used to live in the projects, and I must admit that most of the tenants, especially the ones with the large families didn't give a damn about their community or their apartment. The kids wrote all over the walls, there was urine in the elevators, as well as constant traffic in and out of those apartments 24 hours a day. There were very few tenants that appreciated the fact that they had affordable housing and took pride in there apartments. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to be dirty or disrespectful. So in my opinion I think Drummergirl earned the right to keep her apartment.
I think she earned the right to stay in public housing -- in an appropriately-sized apartment.

Quote:
My neighbor was in a similar dilemma and she always kept her apt spotless. She would even pick up the garbage in the hallway that other tenants would carelessly throw on the floor. She always paid her rent on time and every christmas she would decorate the hallway on our floor with a another tenant and myself (we all chipped in a few dollars and bought the decorations). Fortunately, my ex-neighbor still has her apt and I am happy for her. I wish the same for you Drummergirl.
I do, too. Just in a *SMALLER* apartment.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
LOL, NYCHA tells someone they need to move. The person does not respond and eventually NYCHA gives up. what a joke of an organization. Good for you, bronxguyanese, don't feel bad for a second for those people who "need" your apartment.
NYCHA is not a joke, some of those guys in NYCHA work pretty hard and I give them props for cleaning up dirty elevators urinated staircases, with garbage in the hallways. Its sad for anyone that is hard working and that comes from an hardworking back ground to live like this. People like me and Drummer are a dime a dozen. To bad most people that live in housing cant control thier kids who degrade the quality of life for everyone. From what I was told housing use to be nice back in the 50s and 60s before it became a nightmare!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYCHA is not a joke, some of those guys in NYCHA work pretty hard and I give them props for cleaning up dirty elevators urinated staircases, with garbage in the hallways. Its sad for anyone that is hard working and that comes from an hardworking back ground to live like this. People like me and Drummer are a dime a dozen. To bad most people that live in housing cant control thier kids who degrade the quality of life for everyone. From what I was told housing use to be nice back in the 50s and 60s before it became a nightmare!
The NYCHA management is a joke. According to them, you shouldn't be in your apartment but all it took was for you to ignore them for a while and they forgot all about it. Either their systems are set up poorly or they have staff that are not applying procedure diligently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City