Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:45 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlUWS View Post
there is entitlement.
Well at least you admit it.

FAQs - New York City Housing Authority

4. Why must I transfer to a smaller apartment?
According to NYCHA procedure, the number of occupants residing in the apartment determines the number of rooms assigned. If you have too many rooms, the lease requires you to sign a consent form and move to a correct size apartment. You may choose any development and will stay on their waiting list for one year. After that, you will be placed on a waiting list for the correct size apartment at your current development.

Seems fair enough to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:31 PM

8 posts, read 72,953 times
I dont care what an FAQ says, what is legal is a different matter.

My brother had the same situation that was described in the previous post. He was in a one bedroom with his wife and two kids. But I do not begrudge someone that already has an apartment that is bigger.

Eventually he got section 8, but it would be wrong to force someone to move from their home to accomodate someone else that has been paying rent and paying their "dues" by maintaining their apartment, contributing to the building and neighborhood, etc.

NYCHA is a landlord, actually, more like a slumlord these days. Just because someone is poor does not give ANYONE the right to treat them like cattle. A shelter is one thing, but a permanant address is another altogether.

Mod cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
Well at least you admit it.

FAQs - New York City Housing Authority

4. Why must I transfer to a smaller apartment?
According to NYCHA procedure, the number of occupants residing in the apartment determines the number of rooms assigned. If you have too many rooms, the lease requires you to sign a consent form and move to a correct size apartment. You may choose any development and will stay on their waiting list for one year. After that, you will be placed on a waiting list for the correct size apartment at your current development.

Seems fair enough to me.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: No signatures.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM

No, not if the apartment is still going to be rented and in New York, if it is rent controlled a person living in a privately owned building can pay even less rent than someone living in a NYCHA apartment! And they CAN NOT be forced to move unless the owner plans to live in the apartment or it is purchased by new owners (and only under certain circumstances, even with new owners they may have to keep existing tenants)

Mod cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I believe even if you live in a normal apartment and pay your rent you can be asked to move out. At least you mother has an apartment all ready to move into. Someone on the "other half" would actually have to go out and look for a new place to live.

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-06-2010 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: No signatures.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Quote:
My mother has lived in a NYCHA apt for more than 30 years in a good neighborhood and they are trying to get her to move to a smaller apartment. Is it fair that someone makes a home, invests in it and actually takes care of where they live to be forced to move to a building where people urinate in the halls and play loud music?

When you have worked hard to ensure that where you live is decent NO ONE should have the right to force you to move if you have been paying your rent on time.
Quote:
i strongly disagree. when my aunt, mother and grandmother got their apartments in housing
Quote:
My brother had the same situation that was described in the previous post. He was in a one bedroom with his wife and two kids. But I do not begrudge someone that already has an apartment that is bigger.

Eventually he got section 8, but it would be wrong to force someone to move from their home to accomodate someone else that has been paying rent and paying their "dues" by maintaining their apartment, contributing to the building and neighborhood, etc.
Everyone is obligated (subsidized housing or not) to maintain their residence and contribute to the community. It's the decent thing to do.

One of the reasons subsidized housing doesn't work is because people "plant roots." It should really be viewed as a stepping stone to self sufficiency. But as we can see here Mod cutgeneration, after generation, after generation of the same family is dependent on subsidized housing. Is there a desire or plan of action to break this cycle of dependancy?

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
No, not if the apartment is still going to be rented and in New York, if it is rent controlled a person living in a privately owned building can pay even less rent than someone living in a NYCHA apartment! And they CAN NOT be forced to move unless the owner plans to live in the apartment or it is purchased by new owners (and only under certain circumstances, even with new owners they may have to keep existing tenants)

Mod cut
Im not talking about rent controlled. Im talking about your every day person. At the end of the lease the landlord may not offer you the chance to renew. Then you have to look for a new place to live. At least in NYCHA the new place is already chosen for you.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:43 AM

Not so in New York. Here you would NOT have to look for a new place as long as you continue paying your rent unless the landlord did not intend to continue renting because he/she was going to move into the apartment themselves. Even then, if it is a multi-unit building I think that the courts would side with the tenant.

If this were the case, rent control would not be an issue in NY. I actually feel bad for some land lords. They are paying very high real estate taxes and have second a third generation living in the same apartment paying a couple hundred bucks a month. But NYCHA is based on a sliding scale. In fact, they recently increased the maximum that can be charged to about $700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Im not talking about rent controlled. Im talking about your every day person. At the end of the lease the landlord may not offer you the chance to renew. Then you have to look for a new place to live. At least in NYCHA the new place is already chosen for you.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 15,014 times
yes they can. we don't have leases we have use aggreements. we are not tenants. we have no tenants rights. that is what nycha is saying.

they need to maximize income and having a single person in a two or three bedroom is not doing so.

also it is a terrible waste.

soon most of the nycha apts will be section 8 in the 21 newly-"federalized" developments and after that it will be more easy for the new llc which citibank owns over 51% of to sell as private if they so chose or bundle into a reit and sell out as condos.

take the section 8 and move in with your relatives if you can. why are all these grandmas living alone? the kids should take them in already.

a lot of the apts that are underutilized eventually get taken over by drug dealers who intimidate the elderly to move to puerto rico and then the gangsters illegally rent out the apts at market rate or as crashpads for tourists or drug-densizens.

and nycha is basically ignoring this cuz they would like the developments to be overpopulated by gangsters so they can have a reason an excuse to privatize down the road.

their not even doing criminal backgournd checks on the new section 8 residents who tend to be somewhat dicey or rejects from other developments. the bad to chase out the remaining good?

we don't have to sink to the lowest common denonminator.

even if it is in david rockefeller's clan's interest for us to do so.

and the tax-exemptions will make more money being churned on spec that the buildings will be able to be taken over eventually.

sigh.

see all the empty buildings of luxury condos? and all the ones half-built? at least nycha buildings are occupied and vibrant and collecting rents on a regular basis and well-maintained despite difficult populations in various parts.

call mfy legal services intake-dept and get a lawyer from them if your relative is elderly or disabled or has mental illness or senility issues.

they take some cases gratis.

better than legal aid.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 AM

98 posts, read 391,004 times
I agree there are many people waiting to move in that wanted the same chance your family wanted..there is no need for u to have a four bed room for two people u can still live comfy in a two bedroom...

Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM

I have to disagree. First, NYCHA residents pay RENT, not a "use fee" or however else you want to say it. Second, if someone has lived in an apartment for most of their lives, purchased furniture to fit the apartment, made it their home, invested in the community, made friends of neighbors, put down roots, etc. it is wrong and unethical to force them to move if they are meeting their rent obligations and are good neighbors. Imagine being forced to move and end up living above or below a slob, drug dealer, drug addict or inconsiderate jerk that plays music all night. These are very real issues in NYCHA, not to mention other quality of life issues.

I have no objection to NYCHA charging a percentage of income or even charging for electricity or other services. But there are some things that are sacrosanct, a persons home should be one of them. NYCHA is not a shelter, it is not "emergency housing" nor is it temporary housing.

Just because there is a problem does not mean that the state should choose the most convenient solution. It is convinient (to the state) to force someone out of their home, but this does not make it right. Provide incentives, build new (better) housing, encourage the building of affordable housing, adjust zoning laws to permit non-profits to build higher or bigger and waive property taxes for affordable housing units, etc.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 33,824 times
Ummmmmmmmm I live in nycha since I was 6 months old and now I'm 44 the apartment was given to me by my moms..........How dear they ask us to downsize I have a small 2 bedroom apartment and they are sending people in the development letters telling them that if they are the only ones on the lease and they occupancy more than a 1 or studio apartment that they have to sign a form to move! okay but the Transfer form says tenant request to transfer and if you sign it they will give you $350.00...whattttttt.... first of all I am not requesting to move!! I live here all my life I know, no other..they are doing this because nycha is in a major budget crises.. They cut section 8...I haven't heard of any one being forcibly transfer or evicted because they refused a downsize.. my doctor's are here my community is here and my life was basically created in this apartment and for all the haters that feel we should be treated like cattle or sheep and be moved from one end of the ranch to the other side of the ranch...Go to hell...Because we live in NYCHA doesn't mean that we are less that human...The city doesn't have adequate space for all the foreigners and their kids...Don't attack people that pay their rent on time and don't **** in elevator's or commit crimes on nycha grounds..We are human beings that made a home out of our apartments and not their scape goats.. and you wonder why most of the the people in jail come from housing developments Ummmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City