Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 10:53 AM

1,302 posts, read 340,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So why not test everybody as soon as they're able to determine their IQ, and if it's low, ship them somewhere? Haha. Violating human rights is ok as long as you're stupid. Haha. You have a very outdated view of the world due to your lack of knowledge when it comes to modern technology. People are earning good money without having conventional jobs. And IQ means nothing when it comes to the ability to earn money.

This is exactly why capitalism is pervasive, it erodes your morality and makes you judge people based on how much money they have, which I'm sure you do.
The only place, in significant numbers, you’ll find actually stupid people earning good money is working for the government. I’ve never seen an actually stupid person progress enough to earn good money in the private sector. Plenty of lazy, nasty, conniving , etc. but very few flat out dummies who make it far enough to earn good money. Maybe your definition of good money and mine is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 11:00 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,405,842 times
Quote:
So why not test everybody as soon as they're able to determine their IQ, and if it's low, ship them somewhere? Haha. Violating human rights is ok as long as you're stupid. Haha. You have a very outdated view of the world due to your lack of knowledge when it comes to modern technology. People are earning good money without having conventional jobs. And IQ means nothing when it comes to the ability to earn money.

This is exactly why capitalism is pervasive, it erodes your morality and makes you judge people based on how much money they have, which I'm sure you do.
Actually there is a very early IQ test, which has been in place for several generations, and it is called school grades. How is giving free housing a violation of human rights? You can live anywhere you want, nobody violating your right to do that, but if you are living off of other people, then you can only live where those other people can reasonably provide your free housing.

Sure, people are earning good money without having conventional jobs - productive jobs can be the unconventional ones, and the most innovative jobs are in fact among the most unconventional. But one needs an even higher IQ (or an average IQ + some exceptional physical/manual skill) for earning money the unconventional way rather than in a conventional job.

Do me a favor, use a dictionary if you don't know a word, because constantly using words in a wrong meaning sounds idiotic. "Pervasive" simply means widespread, without any reference to morality. Yes, wearing pants is pervasive too, but not because it erodes morality :-).
What makes you think that I judge people based on how much money they have? (I surely don't judge the Kardashians positively, and they surely have money :-). I judge people based on how hard they work for their money, and if they are too disabled to work, I judge them based on how responsibly they use the money gifted to them by the taxpayers. I judge poor people who live honestly and responsibly within their means VERY positively.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
The poster is literally arguing you can’t force people out or NYC because they’d need to be self sufficient in a rural area otherwise.

The poster is either a master troll or was part of a major medical malpractice suit in their youth.
Well, certain people who have a small scope of knowledge and no ability to think critically, and have lived in a handout-based world of NYC, truly do believe that it is not possible to survive outside of NYC (even if you continue getting handouts in a cheaper place). It doesn't even require trolling or winning a medical lottery to be that way.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:18 AM

1,302 posts, read 340,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Actually there is a very early IQ test, which has been in place for several generations, and it is called school grades. How is giving free housing a violation of human rights? You can live anywhere you want, nobody violating your right to do that, but if you are living off of other people, then you can only live where those other people can reasonably provide your free housing.

Sure, people are earning good money without having conventional jobs - productive jobs can be the unconventional ones, and the most innovative jobs are in fact among the most unconventional. But one needs an even higher IQ (or an average IQ + some exceptional physical/manual skill) for earning money the unconventional way rather than in a conventional job.

Do me a favor, use a dictionary if you don't know a word, because constantly using words in a wrong meaning sounds idiotic. "Pervasive" simply means widespread, without any reference to morality. Yes, wearing pants is pervasive too, but not because it erodes morality :-).
What makes you think that I judge people based on how much money they have? (I surely don't judge the Kardashians positively, and they surely have money :-). I judge people based on how hard they work for their money, and if they are too disabled to work, I judge them based on how responsibly they use the money gifted to them by the taxpayers. I judge poor people who live honestly and responsibly within their means VERY positively.
You don’t understand. Living in NYC while being subsidized by the taxpayers is a human right. I can’t live without the subsidies. What do you want me to do? Move out of the most expensive city in the United States? How absurd!

Old 03-15-2024, 11:28 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:

Haha, so if their school grades are bad, we should be shipping them somewhere remote from young. If their IQ is low, then according to you, they can't earn, so what place in society would they serve?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You do not need any wilderness skills in a housing complex with water, electricity, heating and sewage. I don't believe that the only alternative to living in NYC, in 2024, is having wilderness skills :-). Food always needs to be transported somewhere, and if anything, it is easier and cheaper to transport it to a small place than to locations in NYC, due to the city traffic. Nothing would prevent people living on a public dime on a cheap land from learning how to grow crops (or from learning anything else) if they decided after all to leave the life of living on a public dime, and accept work as farm laborers - how is it necessary to live in NYC in order to grow crops??

Who says I am not holding any contempt for the politicians? :-) I have never expressed a particular respect here for politicking as an "occupation".
And what contractors are you going to pay to erect a housing complex with water, electricity, heating, and sewage? With what money? Tax money, duh. Where's the money going to come from to maintain the housing complex? Lol.

Quote:
Re federal taxes, social safety net for majority of the population should be funded by universal contributions (ie, everyone pays to participate, as it is now with Medicare and Soc Security retirement income) - those who cannot participate get a 1.5 bedroom housing unit on inexpensive federal land, basic food, basic medical care, free Internet, free public library, and nothing else. Especially no extra money or bigger housing for having kids.
Where are you finding the inexpensive federal land? Haha.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:33 AM

Have any of you conveyed your feelings in regards to taxation to your local councilperson? Haha.

Old 03-15-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
And what contractors are you going to pay to erect a housing complex with water, electricity, heating, and sewage? With what money? Tax money, duh. Where's the money going to come from to maintain the housing complex? Lol.

Where are you finding the inexpensive federal land? Haha.
Water, electricity, heating and sewage in NYC are more expensive than anywhere. Electricity in the Bronx in a minimally used small unit costs more than twice the electricity in a larger, continuously used unit in Boston. It would be far cheaper to install and maintain those utilities on the land Upstate (or anywhere else) than wrangle the crowded system for delivering utilities in NYC.

Of course, taxpayer money would still cover all reasonable construction and maintenance - but all of that would be far cheaper to cover long-term on a cheap land than in NYC.

True, not much federally owned land in New York State (less than 0.7% - obviously because it is too valuable to private entities, so they bought most of it), but 47.7% of California, and over 27% of the entire US is federal land - much of it empty and not very valuable.

Old 03-15-2024, 12:29 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
50% of NYC residents who are eligible to pay income tax pay $0 in income taxes. Expensive for whom? Might it be as expensive as it is because 50% pay for the other 50%?
Don't you be bringing rational thought and logic, into an emotionally charged thread like this!!!

Old 03-15-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Water, electricity, heating and sewage in NYC are more expensive than anywhere. Electricity in the Bronx in a minimally used small unit costs more than twice the electricity in a larger, continuously used unit in Boston. It would be far cheaper to install those on the land Upstate than wrangle the crowded system for delivering utilities in NYC.

Of course, taxpayer money would still cover all reasonable construction and maintenance - but all of that would be far cheaper to cover long-term than in NYC.

True, not much federally owned land in New York State (less than 0.7% - obviously because it is too valuable to private entities, so they bought most of it), but 47.7% of California, and over 27% of the entire US is federal land - much of it empty and not very valuable.
You have no clue. None. You have to make sure the land is suitable for building, survey the land, clear the land, lay utility lines to the land, either install cesspools or build sewer infrastructure, you're not saving taxes doing this is my point. This is even before any building construction starts.

The land is not valuable because its not arable. Can't get water there. No water, no life. There's plenty of land for sale in West Texas. Nobody's buying it because they don't have a way to get potable water.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City